PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder/3.5 UMD, wands, and a buckler

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-08, 10:09 PM
So theres a rogue, with UMD, a rapier, and a buckler. Can the rogue use UMD on a wand, while holding the wand in the hand which is attached to the arm which has the buckler strapped to it, and still maintain the buckler's bonus to AC?

I ask, because the wand is not a weapon, and therefore the character is not attacking with it.. it seems as though the AC bonus should stay?

GoatBoy
2010-12-08, 10:13 PM
There's no restrictions on what you can do with your buckler hand, aside from the -1 penalty to AC. But I would rule that using the wand requires a degree of attention, which excludes gaining its AC bonus. That's just my interpretation, I don't think there's an official ruling.

Thurbane
2010-12-08, 10:17 PM
I would say you retain the buckler's AC bonus - the only thing specifically spelled out as specifically negating it is wielding a weapon in your buckler hand, and for this purpose, a wand wouldn't count as a weapon.

Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

Buckler: This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.

GoatBoy
2010-12-08, 10:49 PM
point it in the general direction of the target or area

By RAW I think the AC remains, but RAI suggest that using the wand keeps the arm busy as attacking does, hence no AC.

Depends on the DM, I suppose.