PDA

View Full Version : 3,5 line of sight and characters

Baldin
2010-12-09, 06:01 AM
eey,

Me and my group have a question which we cant seem to find the answer to in eighter PHB or rules compendium.

Question: Do creatures (allies and enemies) block line of sight?

for example if im in a hall that is 5ft wide and 15 feet long and the positioning is as folowing:

me - ally - monster

do i have line of sight to the monster (meaning can i use magic missle or scourching ray on him)?

or

me- ally -ally

can i give both my allies Haste since you need to target all targets for haste?

thanks in advance
baldin

ps. i would like to have a page number in a book for reference if that is possible.

FelixG
2010-12-09, 06:09 AM
It doesnt block line of sight to targets, so Magic Missle will work BUT beware...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

Bolded mine, for touch attacks and things the enemy gets a +4 to their AC because your buddy provides cover.

Hope that helps!

Gnaritas
2010-12-09, 06:09 AM
Magic Missile needs line of effect, creatures generally do not block line of effect. Line of effect is blocked by solid barriers.

Line of sight is what you use for ranged attacks, it is blocked by solid barriers, but also fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight. But again, your ally is none of these, he is not a solid barrier.

In my games Large (or larger) creature do block line of sight/effect if the line goes through the middle of those squares, but i think that is a house rule.

As for page numbers, PHB page 175 has information on "aiming a spell" and Line of Effect is found on page 176. Page 139 has information on "line of sight" (which is not used for spells).

Eloel
2010-12-09, 06:23 AM
Magic Missile needs line of effect, creatures generally do not block line of effect. Line of effect is blocked by solid barriers.

Line of sight is what you use for ranged attacks, it is blocked by solid barriers, but also fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight. But again, your ally is none of these, he is not a solid barrier.

Also worth noting is that you can shoot at stuff even if you don't have Line of Sight. You shoot a square, and if they're there, you have a 50% chance of hitting the creature (attacking the creature, rather. You still need to hit their AC)

Gnaritas
2010-12-09, 06:31 AM
Also worth noting is that you can shoot at stuff even if you don't have Line of Sight. You shoot a square, and if they're there, you have a 50% chance of hitting the creature (attacking the creature, rather. You still need to hit their AC)

Are you sure? Because Magic Missile does have a target...

Target or Targets

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

I think what you mean are spells like fireball or line shaped that do not target anything, but hit everything in certain squares.

Eloel
2010-12-09, 06:35 AM
Are you sure? Because Magic Missile does have a target...

I think what you mean are spells like fireball or line shaped that do not target anything, but hit everything in certain squares.

What I mean are stuff like Rays, Orbs, Arrows, Bolts, Slingshots, Thrown Weapons. You know, stuff that use an attack roll (hence, are Ranged Attacks).

I tried to mean that with "shoot", but apparently that wasn't clear :smallbiggrin:

Baldin
2010-12-09, 06:56 AM
thanks all for the replies=]