PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Alchemyprime? [3.0/3.5/PF]

alchemyprime
2010-12-09, 11:38 AM
So yes, after our first D&D game with our new DM Fuzzilumps (name changed to become more hilarious), I came to notice that my character was the only one that was doing anything... useful. And not that we were rolling low (except the ranger. She had damn poor luck.) I later found the problem:

The DM had given everyone premade characters with terrible feat choices. The sorcerer had Maximize Spell and the Druids (both) had Heighten Spell and the cleric Empower Spell. Which is okay, if you're not first level... At least to my understanding.

So my DM is asking me to, use his words, "save the party." He has made the character explanation that the gods took pity on them (except my binder. He stays as is).

So I am set forward with optimizing a human fighter, two druids (one human, one halfling), a human cleric, an elf sorcerer and an elf ranger (who's okay as is, but may want a bump) as second level characters.

I'm currently playing a Magic-Blooded Gold Dwarf Binder.

My ideas:

Sorcerer, I was thinking Magic-Blooded environmental template, replace his Protection from Evil with either Sleep or Color Spray, replace his familiar with (insert Alternate Class feature here, we were thinking Red Draconic Ray). Other 1sts look like being Shield, Lesser Orb of Fire and Magic Missile, and his feat as Energy Substitution (DM has houseruled that it allows free access to each energy, but Energy Admixture needs a specific energy still).

Druids... I'll need help. They also want to become different. The human wants to eventually become the auxillary fighter.

Fighter, DM has allowed both Warblade and Pathfinder Fighter. Any good arguements for or against each idea?

Ranger is okay as is. She just wants advice for as she levels.

My binder is a little cheesy as it is, I will admit, but we had a vote and agreed I was okay as long as I wasn't outdoing everyone at what they do except for Diplomacy (I'm party face normally).

Cleric we just need some feat suggestions.

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-09, 11:49 AM
From my understanding Warblade will basically guarentee more amusement at the table, because it's a lot more versatile than a Fighter. I'm sure the pathfinder fighter is a step up from the 3.5, but it'll basically still be on the same lines.

Essentially, if the player is likely to be intimidated by having anything other than "I attack!" to do, then PF Fighter, otherwise Warblade's bag of tricks will be much more engaging, and hard to screw up optimisation-wise.

Druid-wise, hmm. Well the 'Second Fighter' Druid should focus on wild-shape and/or their companion, that seems pretty easy, the other could perhaps focus more strongly on the spellcasting? They're druids, so again they can be screwed up, but it's not easy.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-09, 11:57 AM
Between Sleep and Color Spray, Sleep could be just swapped away (for Color Spray?) when it no longer is useful, which happens soon thanks to the HD limit. At low levels, when saves are generally bad and it affects most opponents, I might choose Sleep.

I don't know much about the PF Fighter, but the choice probably depends a lot on whether he can bother do a little bookkeeping. If yes, Warblade is usually more efficient and fun to play.

The Druids could also just prepare different spells. The "fighter" could focus on buffs, that he can also use on himself, and the other one could focus on battlefield control.

The Ranger will probably want a PrC, as the Ranger doesn't gain much beyond 6th level. The choice of PrC depends on her party role and combat style.

Cleric feats are a little iffy. If you are encountering lots of undead or he's going to use Divine Metamagic, Extra Turning might be useful at low levels. Otherwise, Improved Initiative and Skill Focus: Concentration are good filler feats.

alchemyprime
2010-12-09, 12:09 PM
@SilverLeaf We're thinking Color Spray. The DM has seen me in another campaign use it to great affect.

As for the druids, one looks like he's going to become backup for the Blaster Sorcerer and the the buffs via Cleric. The Fighter Druid is drooling for when he becomes "Elisha". And by that we mean THE BEAR MASTER! *cue cool music*

http://www.bananashoulders.com/images/za_nalorakk.jpg

The Cleric likes Extra Turning now and DMM later. He understands he will become like unto a god, but still under his.

@Tiki Snakes Trust me. The druids screwed up. They are playing a little like monks atm... And by that I mean like Tier 4...

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-09, 01:27 PM
@SilverLeaf We're thinking Color Spray. The DM has seen me in another campaign use it to great affect.

As for the druids, one looks like he's going to become backup for the Blaster Sorcerer and the the buffs via Cleric. The Fighter Druid is drooling for when he becomes "Elisha". And by that we mean THE BEAR MASTER! *cue cool music*

http://www.bananashoulders.com/images/za_nalorakk.jpg

The Cleric likes Extra Turning now and DMM later. He understands he will become like unto a god, but still under his.

@Tiki Snakes Trust me. The druids screwed up. They are playing a little like monks atm... And by that I mean like Tier 4...

Tier 4 would be embarrassing for a druid, sure.
But you do, after all, have a fighter in the group, so... yeah.
I've played characters before who dreamed of tier 4. :smallwink:

alchemyprime
2010-12-09, 01:31 PM
Tier 4 would be embarrassing for a druid, sure.
But you do, after all, have a fighter in the group, so... yeah.
I've played characters before who dreamed of tier 4. :smallwink:

True, there is that fighter. But the DM was planning for around a T2 set...

Sadly, only my binder and the ranger came close (hi and mid t3s, us.)