PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Gnome Atificer- mech warrior (at-st walker) LOL

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-09, 12:56 PM
Is it possible to make a gnome artificer build (what other classes synergize well?) that builds its own gear driven mech (so that it increase his size to human)? i think it would be sooooo cool LOL! have a shoulder mounted firebomb flinger (or acid hehe), a socket inside one of the arms to insert a wand, maybe a doohickie of mage armor?

ive put a lot of builds up in the past few weeks, but i want to hear what you all think about this :)

Admiral Squish
2010-12-09, 01:18 PM
...Dammit, now I have to go homebrew some mecha rules. Like I don;t have enough to do. Thanks a lot. :smallannoyed:

:smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-09, 01:34 PM
Animate a suit of armor and put a seat in the chest.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-09, 02:04 PM
Sounds nice. I once planned something like this... it would be helpful if your DM allowed your Artificer abilities to emulate Animate Object, in order to actually make the thing move. Of course, you could just add some switches and buttons...

Chilingsworth
2010-12-09, 02:10 PM
take the leadership feat, get a warforged or a warforged charger (MM3 pg. 191) cohort, then add a saddle and varrious warforged components you craft.

Aharon
2010-12-09, 03:00 PM
I think there was a Prestige Class in Magic of Faerun, fittingly called Artificer, that lets you do that - thematically. The fluff matches what you want, the crunch was rather weak - copying 1st to 4th level spells iirc.

Elvenoutrider
2010-12-09, 04:03 PM
I just did this. Take the craft construct feats and look in the back of complete arcane for the monster template effigy. These are constructs that you create based off monsters in the monster manual. Ask your dm if you can craft controls on the inside of the effigy so you can control it from the inside.

Your next step is to build weaponry. I recommend twin linked wands of scorching ray using the dual wand wielder feat, and when that doesn't cut it a cone of cold or fireball wand should do fine for groups.

For added brokenness add a few magic items to your constructs body slots. I also recommend a contingent disintegrate spell set to counter the enemy wizards attempts to destroy your incredibly expensive mech.

Building time should be upwards of four months.

Happy gamebreaking!!!!!

Lost Demiurge
2010-12-09, 04:04 PM
You could create a warforged character, and just use fluff and flavor text to say that there's a gnome in the cockpit. Every time you use an artificer spell (Whatever they're called), just flavor it as a device mounted on the "mecha".

Soren Hero
2010-12-09, 05:03 PM
a while back, there was a homebrew magitech templar, which was a class that emulated an iron man suit...http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276...i think u could adapt it to your setting by creating custom made suits that function for your character...kinda like the clockwork armor, but better

EDIT: it was person_man who created the magitech templar

Eldan
2010-12-09, 05:14 PM
I did it a different way:

Get a suit of Mechanus Plate, if you can, or just Adamantine Full plate.

Enchant it to give you permanent Enlarge person. Refluff as necessary.

As soon as you reach high enough level, enchant it for permanent Giant Size. You are now a gnome in a huge suit of armour. Give it more mech-like enchantments as necessary.

Cieyrin
2010-12-09, 05:44 PM
An alternative, if you want to go 3rd party, is looking into DragonMech, which has fairly detailed rules on making mecha at the early Renaissance levels of technology that many D&D campaigns tend to be in. Nothing says awesome when you're walking around in a 30' foot tall steel dwarf with axes for hands and a steam cannon on one shoulder. :smallbiggrin:

Shyftir
2010-12-09, 05:56 PM
If you can get a hold of the dragonmech third party source book/setting I'm pretty sure they have ready to go rules for this sort of thing.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-09, 06:28 PM
...Dammit, now I have to go homebrew some mecha rules. Like I don;t have enough to do. Thanks a lot. :smallannoyed:

:smalltongue:

this made me lol :)

Elvenoutrider
Re: HELP: Gnome Atificer- mech warrior (at-st walker) LOL

I just did this. Take the craft construct feats and look in the back of complete arcane for the monster template effigy. These are constructs that you create based off monsters in the monster manual. Ask your dm if you can craft controls on the inside of the effigy so you can control it from the inside.

Your next step is to build weaponry. I recommend twin linked wands of scorching ray using the dual wand wielder feat, and when that doesn't cut it a cone of cold or fireball wand should do fine for groups.

For added brokenness add a few magic items to your constructs body slots. I also recommend a contingent disintegrate spell set to counter the enemy wizards attempts to destroy your incredibly expensive mech.

Building time should be upwards of four months.

Happy gamebreaking!!!!!

this is my favorite suggestion. i dont want the thing to be bigger than like 6'6". a friend of mine suggested i come up with a way to make it organic AND mecha, i have absolutely no idea how to do that. he said to make it look just like a human lol. i like the idea of something that looks like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TY3EzuetPjg/TEhi8eXcK9I/AAAAAAAAK-E/BIobopsjqP4/s1600/suckerpunchcc11small.jpg

what about a gnome wizard 5/gnome artificer 10/effigy master 5?

doesnt exactly meet up, but with some adaptation (having the effigy master increase gnome artificer device powers known beyond 4th level?) would it work? then you could salvage magic items, and continually upgrade your effigy. or what? any other actually build ideas?

golem1972
2010-12-09, 06:43 PM
You could create a warforged character, and just use fluff and flavor text to say that there's a gnome in the cockpit. Every time you use an artificer spell (Whatever they're called), just flavor it as a device mounted on the "mecha".

I remember someone else trying to put together a similar idea once. Basically, it was a warforged warlock who thought he was really the pilot inside his chest, not the warforged himself. I'd probably go with a gestalt Artificer // Hellfire Warlock.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-09, 08:00 PM
i think a psionic g-nome would be cool too, that way he could use powers while in the suit, with out worrying about having a hand free

Urpriest
2010-12-09, 08:58 PM
i think a psionic g-nome would be cool too, that way he could use powers while in the suit, with out worrying about having a hand free

If you want to do psionics, you've actually got a very cool option that requires no awkward refluffing/bending rules whatsoever: Skin of the Construct from Complete Psionic lets you turn an Astral Construct into body armor.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-09, 10:49 PM
Is it possible to make a gnome artificer build (what other classes synergize well?) that builds its own gear driven mech (so that it increase his size to human)? i think it would be sooooo cool LOL! have a shoulder mounted firebomb flinger (or acid hehe), a socket inside one of the arms to insert a wand, maybe a doohickie of mage armor?

ive put a lot of builds up in the past few weeks, but i want to hear what you all think about this :)

If you make a Shoulder mounted At Will Launch spell item (with a few potion (vials) belts strapped to it) it fits what you want.
Launch is a 0th level spell that flings stuff up to 100 ft+10/lv. You can use splash weapons according to the spell (no range penalties).
It would only shoot 1/rd (standard action to activate Launch unless you added Quickened but that raises cost, free action to draw ammo for it).

More expensive ammo: Blast globes (from MIC, deal lots of damage little grenade type items)

Ravens_cry
2010-12-09, 11:49 PM
There is D20 SRD rules for mecha, beleive it or not. They may help. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd)

GoatBoy
2010-12-09, 11:59 PM
There's the Techsmith PrC in Faiths & Pantheons (Forgotten Realms) which works out to full casting, a couple of extras, and a construct companion which fights for you and over which you have a limited amount of customizability. It can be medium-sized, so I think that leaves enough room for a Gnome. I think the limitation is that you need a certain spell to enter which Artificers don't have... but a reasonable DM might be willing to let that slide.

Kyouhen
2010-12-10, 02:23 AM
Another possible idea would be to build an apparatus of the crab and ask the DM if you can customize it. All the rules for the mech are there, you just need to make it do a little more. :smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-10, 02:32 AM
this made me lol :)

what about a gnome wizard 5/gnome artificer 10/effigy master 5?

eew. avoid Gnome Artificer. It's bad. very, very bad.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-10, 02:40 AM
It would be really cool to make a Colossal Animate Object that just happened to be a suit of Adamant Armor, and then sit in its head giving it orders. Works even better if you then lean forward and fire ray spells out of its eyes!

Endarire
2010-12-10, 02:41 AM
You could make a hollowed-out golem in which to sit.

I made rules for Sky Golems (http://antioch.snow-fall.com/~Endarire/DnD/Xeen/Xeen%20Creatures.doc) (search for them) which are effectively D&D mechs.