PDA

View Full Version : Model United Nations

grimbold
2010-12-09, 01:27 PM
I am attending a thing called Model United NAtions in paris tomorrow
essentially it is where students from various international schools meet and model the united nations procedures and try to pas resolutions and stuff
i have been preparing for a month now and the conference lasts 3 days.
has any playgrounder been there before?
will playgrounder be there?
Advice?

LCR
2010-12-09, 01:44 PM
In Paris? Awesome.
Represent your country to the best of your abilities, don't let yourself be bullied by the "big" countries such as the US or China and have loads of fun. Don't be afraid to speak in front of the assembly or your subcommittee, nobody'll laugh if you don't instantly deliver perfect speeches, abuse the research and messenger staff ("I really need to know how many goals Saudi-Arabia scored at the last 10 combined world cups. It's essential to my next speech. Oh, and please ask the representative from Uganda where she's having lunch") and go to the parties at night. Surprisingly, that's where most of the deals are made.
So, all in all, it's going to be great.

grimbold
2010-12-09, 01:54 PM
Oh, and please ask the representative from Uganda where she's having lunch")

in fact i have a friend who got a date at one in berlin this way

CelestialMagpie
2010-12-09, 01:56 PM
As a veteran of MUN, here's my advice:

1. Have fun with your country. In the real world, Costa Rica does not get to boss the other countries around. Having said that, don't be contrary for contrariness' sake. Sometimes it's good to agree with a powerhouse, because sometimes they're right.

2. Socialize - LCR is right about meeting people outside committee. That's when alliances form. Also, find people on the same continent as you - that always helps. Also, If someone who is your ally in the real world is a total jerk in committee, don't associate with them. It's not worth it, not in this mock scenario. :smallwink:

3. When debating resolutions, don't get hung up on the preambles. That was my biggest pet peeve, when a bunch of countries wasted the entire debate period arguing over something that had absolutely no effect on action. Sure, if it's racist argue it, but focus on the actual recommendations of the resolution, the action section :smallbiggrin:

4. When the big "crisis" situation drops, all bets are off. Find your newest best friends and come up with the most practical (and practically impossible to implement) resolution you can. Because everyone is going to scramble to be the one who comes up with the "save the world/destroy country x" resolution.

5. Bashing the US and China is fun, but for me it got old after awhile. If you actually have something worthwhile to push through on a committee, don't be afraid say so. It's not supposed to be a three-day roast.

Paris!! I love the city, and if you're there with a group all the better! Though it will be cold, definitely see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, Montmartre/Sacre Coeur....I myself am a fan of the Musee du Rodin. And visit around Pompidou center, where the postcards are expensive but worth it.

LCR
2010-12-09, 02:09 PM
in fact i have a friend who got a date at one in berlin this way

That's what MUN is for ... breeding the new diplomatic elite.

grimbold
2010-12-09, 02:13 PM
That's what MUN is for ... breeding the new diplomatic elite.

made my day
you win the thread

thorgrim29
2010-12-09, 05:44 PM
In the American School of Paris? I did that when I lived in Clermont-Ferrand, Albania represent! I had a lot of fun, got in trouble a bit (turns out islamist has a different meaning in English then in French.... oops), sat on an irradiated stone, and went on one of my first nights out with friends, bought our first skin magazine (FHM), and the guy at the Indian restaurant served us alcohol. Oh and the actual event was pretty fun too. I was 13 at the time. France is fun.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-09, 06:38 PM
I'm jealous :smile:

Oh, you should make a motion to make miniskirts standard uniform in the UN for girls :tongue: I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding support...

averagejoe
2010-12-09, 06:56 PM
The Mod They Call Me: This runs a bit close to real world politics. Thread locked.