PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Negative levels and spells that specify levels

Nich_Critic
2010-12-09, 01:28 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering how having a negative level would affect being hit by spells that have different effects that scale by HD? For example, sleep is a great spell, but is limited by only affecting 4HD worth of creatures. If you managed to stick two negative levels on a level 6 character, would they then be affected by sleep?

The reason I can't figure this out, is that the spells talk about the hit dice of the enemy, which doesn't change until a negative level becomes permanent. On the other hand, negative levels count for "-1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level)." Since HD is often synonymous with levels, does this apply?

I ask, because the module I'm running has a lot of spellcasters with spells past their prime. These spells have no chance of affecting the players, and I would rather swap them for spells that do have a chance. Otherwise, the one round these low level casters get will be spent wasting a spell, and then cursing because the PC's are too high a level. There's also a lot of opportunity for level draining, though, so these spellcasters would make more sense in that light.

Keld Denar
2010-12-09, 01:34 PM
You are correct. As you cited, "-1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level)."

That means that if you get hit by Enervation, you are more vulnerable to Blasphemy and similar HD dependant effects.