View Full Version : Cypher Mage Advice (3.5)

JerichoPenumbra
2010-12-09, 01:49 PM
So in an upcoming game I'll be in I'll be playing wizard focused on a writing/code theme. I got the idea from leafing through one of the Pathfinder player's guides.

I proposed the idea to my DM and showed him a few of the feats and a few spells including one that makes me forget information for X time and puts said information on my body in the form a cryptic tattoo in the mean time. I proposed the idea that he could end up using said spell on himself repeatedly to forget information that for one reason or another so the character would have more knowledge than the player. The line that he'd wake up one day with another tattoo that he doesn't remember having before, so the DM could tell me new information at later times. My DM said, "I could mess with you so much with that". If that line didn't tell you he's an Evil DM then I'll tell you right now he's an Evil DM.

At the moment he's working on a few homebrew tweeks to the wizard mixing a few abilities from wu-jen, geometer, and another class that I can't remember right now with a slightly limited spell list. The game will start a 1st level. Any suggestions for spells or personal magic items like magic quills or magic ink would be appreciated.

P.S. Before I forget to mention, he'll have a derangement that makes him think there is a code to everything that happens.

Edit: This game will be assuming that the party level up very quickly from having low members and being consistently played each week. Spells or magic items can be homebrew (as in using the guidelines for such creations) as long as they fit the writing and code/cipher theme.

Baveboi
2010-12-09, 02:06 PM
That sounds a lot like True Speaker. The fluff itself dictates that True Speech is the 'code of the universe' so you can delete, rewritte, modify, etc.

Itens I can't think of anything besides a book of infinite spells. Spells... well, the classic rune spells: Explosive Runes, Sepia's Serpent Seal, Symbol Spells, Erase (people don't take this one seriously, I can't guess why...), Glyth Seplls, Create Magic Tattoo, Power Word Spells (if you count onomatopoeias), etc...

A good feat that goes all the way into character development is Spell Thematics. It gets spell fanatics like me all loopy on the head if you get some crazy theme. Hehe.