PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Preventing other players from doing stuff

weenie
2010-12-09, 01:56 PM
In my current campaign I play the only good character in the party, so I usually need to act a bit paladin-like. This means I have to:
-calm things down if another character gets into an argument with an NPC
-prevent PCs from stabbing NPCs
-preven PCs from tourtouring NPCs

well, you get the idea I hope. Do you have any idea what mechanics would apply to situations where another PC would try to stab/hit/grope an npc and my character would like to stop them?

Also, have you ever played the role of paladin without actually beeing a palladin? My before mentioned character is a warblade, but from the way he constantly tries to keep the party in line one could never guess.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-09, 02:03 PM
In my current campaign I play the only good character in the party, so I usually need to act a bit paladin-like. This means I have to:
-calm things down if another character gets into an argument with an NPC
-prevent PCs from stabbing NPCs
-preven PCs from tourtouring NPCs

well, you get the idea I hope. Do you have any idea what mechanics would apply to situations where another PC would try to stab/hit/grope an npc and my character would like to stop them?

Also, have you ever played the role of paladin without actually beeing a palladin? My before mentioned character is a warblade, but from the way he constantly tries to keep the party in line one could never guess.

You could "Aid Another" and give your party member a bonus to AC.

If you are playing a Knight or a Crusader, there are options to force people to attack you. If you play the Crusader, there is a Maneuver that allows you to add your Shield Bonus to another character. With a good shield, you can give them a pretty big bonus.

WarKitty
2010-12-09, 02:09 PM
I've been having to do the same thing with my NG druid. Try to give them self-interested reasons to not do what they're doing. "If we start killing prisoners, then people won't surrender to us anymore. Then we'll end up taking more damage."

Also, think about why your character is with this party. What reason does he have to stick around, even if they violate his morals?

Baveboi
2010-12-09, 02:17 PM
There are 3 obvious options when the party get in a moral debate:

1 - They find a common ground and try to work inside each-others limits. 2 - They find each-others throat and things get messy. 3 - You can manipulate, deviate, control them and put them on the right direction. This one needs a bit of planning and DM help, but if you do it right it's frigging Epic.

You could always 'chang your ways' and decide you had enough of an ungrateful good world with a good hook, but otherwise you will have to play the big mama of bunch of kids running wild and stabbing people. There's a diference between Evil (Tarquin, Redcloack) and childish (Nale, Xykon - but he can get away with it)

Anyone in their sane mind would go around acting like there would be no consequencies. Besides Belkar of course... but then again, "in their sane mind" and there WERE consequencies (suckmyorangeballshalfling village must be the best laid trap ever).

Akal Saris
2010-12-09, 02:38 PM
Just as a sidenote, but whenever I think 'evil campaign', the only character archetype I ever want to play is Nale.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-09, 02:40 PM
First, you might want to just let things slide. Accept that your with a group of crazy hurtful killers. Let them do whatever to feed their need for it.

The good cop, bad cop trick might work. Let the other hit the NPC, then offer to stop if you get the information or plans or such.

You might want to let the NPC's escape or otherwise get away. The classic 'we don't have time for this, the guards are coming(that you called)' works.

You might also want to take out the NPC yourself, nonlethal. Just knock them out or such.

Mechanics-

-You can Aid Another to help the NPC.
-Grapple the crazy player
-Disarm the crazy player
-Bull Rush the crazy player away from the NPC.
-Stun, paralyze and such the crazy player.
-Do nonlethal damage to the crazy player to knock them out.
-Attack the crazy player and do real damage (''If you want to hurt him, you will have to go through me!")

It can be hard to 'reason' with crazy killer PCs. And it does depend a lot on how the DM runs the world. If the PC's slaughter 10 people in town, will there be any consequences? Is the local law a bunch of 0 level Barney Fiffes? Does the DM see NPCs as just 'plot points to kill'?

Ruinix
2010-12-09, 03:21 PM
There are 3 obvious options when the party get in a moral debate:

1 - They find a common ground and try to work inside each-others limits. 2 - They find each-others throat and things get messy. 3 - You can manipulate, deviate, control them and put them on the right direction. This one needs a bit of planning and DM help, but if you do it right it's frigging Epic.

You could always 'chang your ways' and decide you had enough of an ungrateful good world with a good hook, but otherwise you will have to play the big mama of bunch of kids running wild and stabbing people. There's a diference between Evil (Tarquin, Redcloack) and childish (Nale, Xykon - but he can get away with it)

Anyone in their sane mind would go around acting like there would be no consequencies. Besides Belkar of course... but then again, "in their sane mind" and there WERE consequencies (suckmyorangeballshalfling village must be the best laid trap ever).

i second option nš 3.

B1okHead
2010-12-09, 04:43 PM
This sounds more like the DM's problem than yours. You should talk to him about having consequences for killing everyone. (ie. If they kill everyone in a town they could get hunted down by another party of adventurers of equal/higher level.)

WarKitty
2010-12-09, 04:49 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173628 there's some good ideas in there if you can dig through for them.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-12-10, 05:04 PM
Kill the bad party members first. Sure the campaigns over, but hey no more tortured NPCs

Fitz10019
2010-12-10, 05:25 PM
While your character is on the 'right' side of 'right or wrong,' it may be that your character is wrong for this party. Don't play a character who does not fit in with the party unless the group of players enjoys having a character around who does not fit in.

Deciding what other players can or cannot do is not how the people in my group plays the game. $0.02

John Campbell
2010-12-10, 05:35 PM
Y'know, there's a reason that nobody likes paladins.

molten_dragon
2010-12-10, 06:30 PM
While your character is on the 'right' side of 'right or wrong,' it may be that your character is wrong for this party. Don't play a character who does not fit in with the party unless the group of players enjoys having a character around who does not fit in.

Deciding what other players can or cannot do is not how the people in my group plays the game. $0.02

This was going to be my advice as well. You might want to talk to your party OOC to make sure that they are alright with this sort of interaction before you go too crazy with it. Not everyone wants to have inter-party conflict, and it sounds like you are the odd man out in this party.

frasmage
2010-12-11, 07:55 AM
I know you are a warblade, but there are some low-level spells that can be useful here. Maybe make them into per day magic items? My party has used calm emotion to great effect when someone wants to do something rash. The suggestion/command line can also be useful.

also, disarm.