PDA

View Full Version : okay, this is embarressing...

big teej
2010-12-09, 04:08 PM
but I'm playing a character with a - 1 penalty to intelligence (and wisdom)

does this -1 penalty apply to the skill point formula?

giving me 1 x 4 skill points at creation (as a fighter, the formula would be 2 + -1 (int modifier) x 4

is this correct?

thanks in advance.

Gensh
2010-12-09, 04:09 PM
Sadly, yes.

Vistella
2010-12-09, 04:11 PM
but remember: you always get at least 1 skillpoint each level, that means even with just 6 int a fighter gets its 1 point (instead of 0 as 2-2=0)

big teej
2010-12-09, 04:29 PM
Sadly, yes.

thats what I was afraid of.... oh well, It'll be fun to role play something considerably less intelligent than my average characters :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-09, 04:34 PM
Yeah, you can lose potential skill points with a negative int modifier. However, go human and you can regain that minus one.

big teej
2010-12-09, 04:55 PM
okay.... I have a question, (a question I may ask in another thread, as its ottotally off topic)

how often have you changed a character concept to make up for a mechanical defect?

(using dr. epics previous statement as the example)

lets say my concept is 'dwarf fighter' and I end up with intelligence as my dump stat (a 9 in this case)

how many of you would change to human to make up for the skill point loss?

also

is everyone here okay with being quoted in that other thread if I make one?

for the record
this
"how many of you would change to human to make up for the skill point loss?"
is what the question in the other thread would be.

I just wanted to be able to use some quotes from here to set up the OP in that thread if I make it.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-09, 04:57 PM
Yeah, you can lose potential skill points with a negative int modifier. However, go human and you can regain that minus one.
No, you can't. You always get a minimum of 1 skill point.

I wouldn't go human just for a single skillpoint. If you one or two skill points per level will make very little difference.

Shade Kerrin
2010-12-09, 05:12 PM
I don't know why, but my characters are almost invariably human unless I have a very good reason otherwise. Not because of the extra feat, I just see all the other races as either pointy-eared human/short bearded human etc, or as something overly bizzare

Incanur
2010-12-09, 07:05 PM
but remember: you always get at least 1 skillpoint each level, that means even with just 6 int a fighter gets its 1 point (instead of 0 as 2-2=0)

So if you're going low, you might as well shoot the moon. 3 Int characters for the win. :smallwink:

holywhippet
2010-12-09, 07:09 PM
okay.... I have a question, (a question I may ask in another thread, as its ottotally off topic)

how often have you changed a character concept to make up for a mechanical defect?

(using dr. epics previous statement as the example)

lets say my concept is 'dwarf fighter' and I end up with intelligence as my dump stat (a 9 in this case)

how many of you would change to human to make up for the skill point loss?

Since fighters are never going to be skill heavy anyway I wouldn't make a change like that. On the flipside, if you had a skillmonkey type class like a bard or even rogue I'd be looking to get as many skill points as possible. Admittedly I don't think I'd change race unless I was really desperate for skill points.

JaronK
2010-12-09, 07:13 PM
I love playing really low Int characters, and then always trying to lead the party... with the exact same plan regardless of situation. I had one character that was a Half Minotaur Mineral Warrior Orc (high power game, obviously). He could burrow, and he always knew where north was (racial abilities). He had two plans... one where he'd burrow behind whatever the issue was, pop out, and hit it, while the rest of the party ran up and hit it. The other was the "simple" plan for when the party didn't seem to understand his complex one... in that one, he'd run forward and hit stuff, while the rest of the party ran forward and hit stuff.

This was an awesome plan all the time. Somehow the party didn't agree, especially when the encounter was a social encounter. Also, turns out "run up and hit it" doesn't actually work well against a variety of traps.

JaronK

Shadowleaf
2010-12-09, 07:24 PM
I love playing really low Int characters, and then always trying to lead the party... with the exact same plan regardless of situation. I had one character that was a Half Minotaur Mineral Warrior Orc (high power game, obviously). He could burrow, and he always knew where north was (racial abilities). He had two plans... one where he'd burrow behind whatever the issue was, pop out, and hit it, while the rest of the party ran up and hit it. The other was the "simple" plan for when the party didn't seem to understand his complex one... in that one, he'd run forward and hit stuff, while the rest of the party ran forward and hit stuff.

This was an awesome plan all the time. Somehow the party didn't agree, especially when the encounter was a social encounter. Also, turns out "run up and hit it" doesn't actually work well against a variety of traps.

JaronK
Most players looking for social challenges / puzzlesolving gets annoyed by low int characters played like that really, really quickly.

Speaking from my own experiences, we had a character like that in my group once. Halfway through the first session, he was actually Dominated by the Lawful Good Cleric, because he was simply too Chaotic Stupid. The character was retired shortly after.

JaronK
2010-12-09, 07:28 PM
Eh, you just can't be too forceful about the stupid ideas, and be useful enough that the party is glad to have you there. Can't be in too serious a group though.

JaronK

Incanur
2010-12-09, 10:16 PM
That kind of behavior actually makes more sense than what I've seen from high Int PCs with whimsical operators.

"I share master's touch with my familiar and pick up a bastard sword."

"I teleport into the dire werebear's jaws and purposefully fail my save against its curse of lycanthropy."

Runestar
2010-12-10, 12:29 AM
No, you can't. You always get a minimum of 1 skill point.

I wouldn't go human just for a single skillpoint. If you one or two skill points per level will make very little difference.

You can choose to apply the bonus skills points after the int penalty. So a human fighter with 3 int will still get 2 skill points/lv. :smallbiggrin: