PDA

View Full Version : CoffeeIncluded is going to college!!!!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-09, 05:06 PM
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED EARLY DECISION TO COLLEGE OH MY GOD I ACTUALLY GOT IN I AM GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

Oh my God! Oh my God! I was too afraid to hope! I actually got in! I'M GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

The_Admiral
2010-12-09, 05:09 PM
*Claps* Congrats Coffee

Comet
2010-12-09, 05:11 PM
High5!
I know exactly how you feel. It is an awesome feeling.

WalkingTarget
Congrats! :smallsmile:

Nice feeling to know you got in, isn't it?

Haruki-kun
CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm so happy for you!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-09, 05:13 PM
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED EARLY DECISION INTO CORNELL UNIVERSITY OH MY GOD I ACTUALLY GOT IN I AM GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

Oh my God! Oh my God! I was too afraid to hope! I actually got in! I GOT ACCEPTED TO CORNELL UNIVERSITY!!! I'M GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

*snuggles lots* Congrats! ^_^

And say hi to the other playgrounders up that way! =3

Ceric
2010-12-09, 05:13 PM
:smallbiggrin: Wow! Congrats!

blackfox
2010-12-09, 05:19 PM
Yay!
Want to meet up sometime? :smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-09, 05:19 PM
Congratulations coffee :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-12-09, 05:27 PM
Gratz! Enjoy college, its really a good time. Hope you find an awesome gaming group there too! I had a good time playing D&D in college. Its been...slower since.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-12-09, 05:27 PM
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED EARLY DECISION TO COLLEGE OH MY GOD I ACTUALLY GOT IN I AM GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

Oh my God! Oh my God! I was too afraid to hope! I actually got in! I'M GOING TO COLLEGE!!!

Congratulations sweetheart!
I knew you were more than good enough to get into Cornell!

*CELEBRATORY HUGS!*

So, what're you looking forward to studying the most at uni?

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-09, 05:38 PM
Congratulations! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif May your professors not pile on tons of homework for the first few months!

Marnath
2010-12-09, 05:41 PM
Congrats! :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-09, 05:43 PM
yaaaay!:smallbiggrin: now for superturbohappymegasweetawesomefuntime!

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 05:48 PM
Congrats! I'm thinking about Cornell too! What are you planning on studying?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-09, 05:48 PM
Thank you, everybody! And I'm studying science, especially biology! Thank you!

zeratul
2010-12-09, 06:05 PM
Congratz, if you're going to cornell you'd best prepare for some hardcore winters. Upstate is essentially America's scandinavia :smalltongue:

super dark33
2010-12-09, 06:08 PM
NICE! is your grade scratching the minimum or hugging the maximum?

Coidzor
2010-12-09, 06:09 PM
ConGRUEbulations! :smallbiggrin:

Geno9999
2010-12-09, 06:30 PM
*clap clap clap clap* Congrats:smallbiggrin:
Just to be sure.:smallbiggrin:

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-09, 06:32 PM

Grats! Which college?

KenderWizard
2010-12-09, 06:33 PM
AWESOME!! Well done, that's great news! Like an early Christmas present. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-09, 07:20 PM
Grats! Which college?

Cornell. :smallbiggrin:

AWESOME!! Well done, that's great news! Like an early Christmas present. :smallsmile:

Well, late Hanukkah, but yeah! :smallbiggrin:

Fluff & Napalm
2010-12-09, 07:21 PM
Congrats! Now comes the best part, harassing the regular decision people until April :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2010-12-09, 07:32 PM
WAY TO GO COFFEE!!!! :biggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-09, 07:33 PM
Congratulations! :smallbiggrin: I know many people who go to Cornell and love it!

Blue Ghost
2010-12-09, 07:35 PM
Awesome! I'm so happy for you! :smallbiggrin:
*vicioustackleglomp*
*distilled joy* (Because there won't be a better time to collect Coffee's essence).

I'm applying to Cornell too. I wasn't really taking it seriously, but if Coffee's there, it just moved a bit higher up on my list. :smallsmile:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-12-09, 07:36 PM
That's so great. I'm glad you'll be moving on in your life =)

Lady Moreta
2010-12-09, 07:38 PM
Congratulations! That's fantastic news :smallbiggrin:

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 07:45 PM
Thank you, everybody! And I'm studying science, especially biology! Thank you!

Nice. I'm thinking engineering if I end up going. I doubt we'd overlap though :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-09, 08:03 PM
Said it in the Murphy's Law thread; but will say it so again

Congratulations COFFEE

I know the feeling, I also got accepted in early entries (but I need to wait till January for the scholarship contests)

Kiren
2010-12-09, 08:40 PM
Congratulations! Good luck!

Silverraptor
2010-12-09, 08:59 PM
I've known Coffee for quite awhile, and I'm not suprised at all. I actually would be increadibly suprised if she wasn't accepted. I knew she would get in from the start.

Funny story, but when I was waiting for my grades to come in from last year, my first year at college, I had a pm chat about them with Coffee. I was telling her how I averaged a "B" and how happy I was. Her response:

"Is that good?"

What I immediately thought after that, apart from feeling second rate, was that my friend is definately the nerdy type. Atleast, the increadibly smart type.:smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-09, 09:01 PM
I bought you a puppy a few months ago for this occasion. :smallbiggrin: I kept it locked in a closet- Oh... it's dead... It's also eaten its right leg. I'm so sorry.

Congratulations, though. :smallfrown:

Skeppio
2010-12-09, 09:07 PM
Congratulations Coffee! :smallbiggrin:

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 09:18 PM
I bought you a puppy a few months ago for this occasion. :smallbiggrin: I kept it locked in a closet- Oh... it's dead... It's also eaten its right leg. I'm so sorry.

You have a sick and twisted mind. I think I love you :smallbiggrin:

AshDesert
2010-12-09, 09:28 PM

:smalleek:

That's... uh... Yeah.

Congratulations, although I have to say, since the only thing I know about Cornell is the Cornell note format, I regret to inform that I hate your college:smallannoyed:. I also got accepted to my first-choice college, although not on early decision. We get things done early here in Texas (scholarship applications process is already closed and most major state universities are already full). Anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance letter by now is starting to sweat.

Melayl
2010-12-09, 09:33 PM
Congratulations! From what I've seen of you here, it was a foregone conclusion that you'd get accepted into college. It was nearly one that you'd get the college of your choice.

Enjoy your time there (before you're forced to deal with the real world...) :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-09, 09:43 PM

Thanks. Could you please stand over there in front of the camera and give me your name? Thank you.

I've known Coffee for quite awhile, and I'm not suprised at all. I actually would be increadibly suprised if she wasn't accepted. I knew she would get in from the start.

Funny story, but when I was waiting for my grades to come in from last year, my first year at college, I had a pm chat about them with Coffee. I was telling her how I averaged a "B" and how happy I was. Her response:

"Is that good?"

What I immediately thought after that, apart from feeling second rate, was that my friend is definately the nerdy type. Atleast, the increadibly smart type.:smalltongue:

Thanks, Silverraptor! Though I realize that I was really rude there. I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound rude.

Congratulations! From what I've seen of you here, it was a foregone conclusion that you'd get accepted into college. It was nearly one that you'd get the college of your choice.

Enjoy your time there (before you're forced to deal with the real world...) :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! I'm sure I will. :smallbiggrin:

:smalleek:

That's... uh... Yeah.

Congratulations, although I have to say, since the only thing I know about Cornell is the Cornell note format, I regret to inform that I hate your college:smallannoyed:. I also got accepted to my first-choice college, although not on early decision. We get things done early here in Texas (scholarship applications process is already closed and most major state universities are already full). Anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance letter by now is starting to sweat.

Congratulations, AshDesert! And that's what google is for. :smalltongue:

Calmness
2010-12-09, 09:49 PM
Going to college can be such an exciting, wonderful experience. Congratulations!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-12-09, 10:28 PM
Congratz, if you're going to cornell you'd best prepare for some hardcore winters. Upstate is essentially America's scandinavia :smalltongue:

It's not as bad as one would think up there. My younger brother is a Cornell grad (Civ. Eng.), and his experiences there say that winters here at home in the Twin City area are far worse than anything he experienced in Ithaca. Especially in regards to temperature.

Oh, and Coffee, prepare yourself for Dragon Day (in the spring). I hear it's quite the event. And you will learn quickly that College Town Bagels right off of campus is quite possibly the greatest place around to eat. I got to experience it when going to graduation up there for my brother a few years ago, and it's freaking awesome.

zeratul
2010-12-09, 10:36 PM
It's not as bad as one would think up there. My younger brother is a Cornell grad (Civ. Eng.), and his experiences there say that winters here at home in the Twin City area are far worse than anything he experienced in Ithaca. Especially in regards to temperature.

Oh, and Coffee, prepare yourself for Dragon Day (in the spring). I hear it's quite the event. And you will learn quickly that College Town Bagels right off of campus is quite possibly the greatest place around to eat. I got to experience it when going to graduation up there for my brother a few years ago, and it's freaking awesome.

'Spose it could be a bit better in Ithaca than it is in my particular region of upstate, at least around here they tend to be on the long and cold side,

Sneak
2010-12-09, 10:38 PM
Congrats! That's awesome!

And you get to hang out with Blackfox! :smallbiggrin:

I myself find out on Monday...

Starbuck_II
2010-12-09, 11:00 PM

Congrats. You deserve to get into a college after all you went though.

Gullara
2010-12-09, 11:02 PM
Congratulations:smallbiggrin:

Have fun.

Raz_Fox
2010-12-09, 11:03 PM

Seconded.

There are no tears in my eyes. None at all. I am not smiling sappily at my screen knowing that Coffee's tribulations finally paid off, no sirree. Stop looking at me like that, I'm not lying.

...okay i kind of am

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-09, 11:05 PM

I myself find out on Monday...

Good luck, Sneak.

And thanks, everybody. Things are much, much better at home too. :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2010-12-09, 11:06 PM

Agreed. After so going through so much, it's finally paid off. Good luck in college, CoffeeIncluded. You deserve it! :smallbiggrin:

That's beyond wonderful to hear. :smallsmile:

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 11:08 PM
Good luck, Sneak.

Thats great to hear. Things sounded.... pretty bad at times.

Marnath
2010-12-09, 11:21 PM

That is really an awesome thing to hear.:smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-12-09, 11:52 PM

...:smalleek:

hawt...:smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-12-09, 11:53 PM
Congrats Coffee!

Amiel
2010-12-09, 11:59 PM
Many congratulations, Coffee! :D
It's all very exciting.

On the downside, you'll get to spend some upteenth years at college.
On the bright side, you'll make friends that will stay with you for life. And there's the social aspect of it too.

snoopy13a
2010-12-10, 12:36 AM
Congrats!

I had fun at Cornell.

Oh, and for the record, Dragon Day is a day when the architecture students parade a giant dragon-thing that they built in their free time (which as architecture students isn't that much) through the Arts Quad. The engineering students are supposed to destroy it.

Roc Ness
2010-12-10, 12:42 AM
Congratulations, Coffee!

I just *knew* you'd pull through! :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-10, 12:56 AM
=D =D =D =D =D =D

Fantastic news, Coffee! Although honestly if a chump like me can get into college (albeit a west-coast liberal school with a flair for arts and the dramatic), then someone as smart as you not getting in would be quite surprising.

Great work, though. Have fun, but don't let yourself worry too much. I made that mistake, and it turned out to be a lot less of a big deal than I thought it was. Just have fun learning things, meet new people, and join a club.
I put off joining the gaming club at my college. Figured it would just be a bunch of sweaty boys playing Halo. But when a friend from art class told me there was DnD and I followed her, I ended up having a ton of fun and met a lot of awesome people.

You're gonna do fine, kid. =3

Demon 997
2010-12-10, 01:08 AM
Congrats!

I had fun at Cornell.

Oh, and for the record, Dragon Day is a day when the architecture students parade a giant dragon-thing that they built in their free time (which as architecture students isn't that much) through the Arts Quad. The engineering students are supposed to destroy it.

My mother grew up in Ithaca and her parents taught there. From her stories about Dragon Day isn't the dragon supposed to win? Which seems odd, since the combined efforts of the engineering students could probably level a city block.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-10, 04:42 AM

It's actually colder in America than Scandinavia, we've got the Golf Stream to keep us warm (Yet we still might get a white Christmas/Solstice!) :smalltongue:

Congratulations, Coffee. Sounds like many year of fun and studying awaits you :smallsmile:

I'd say something promising about Cornell but I unfortunately never heard of it until you got there.

But that alone puts it in my top 3 colleges :smallbiggrin:

Ashtar
2010-12-10, 06:22 AM
Congratulation CoffeeIncluded!

If you are studying Bio, I recommend this small but wonderful book that helps a lot to form the basics for understanding the Human Immune System (http://www.amazon.com/How-Immune-System-Works-Blackwells/dp/140516221X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk). It's so good that I even recommend reading it for pleasure. You can also find the first and second edition which are just as good, but cheaper.

Your college library should have a copy.

Form
2010-12-10, 07:00 AM
Awesome and congratulations, Coffee! Be sure to make the most of your college time, eh? :smallsmile:

Eadin
2010-12-10, 07:10 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
congrats!
Enjoy college life !:smallbiggrin:

KenderWizard
2010-12-10, 07:11 AM

I'm so glad to hear that! :smallsmile:

I second joining a society! Some people make loads of friends in class, but if your classes are big, it can take a while to get to know people. If you join a few societies and find the one that's right for you, it's like instant friends. Two years on, I'm the President of our gamers society, going out with the Secretary, in a fantastic weekly D&D game with a bunch of past members who still hang around because it's so awesome, and in charge of Special Events for a gaming convention.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-10, 07:24 AM
A biology major?

Please, spare me from your eventual cephalapod army of doom. (http://xkcd.com/520/)

Asta Kask
2010-12-10, 07:28 AM

*hugs*

Told you so. They're too smart to pass up a girl like you.

blackfox
2010-12-10, 10:43 AM
My mother grew up in Ithaca and her parents taught there. From her stories about Dragon Day isn't the dragon supposed to win? Which seems odd, since the combined efforts of the engineering students could probably level a city block.Bureaucracy won. New environmental regulations say that you can't burn any non-organic materials outside. No dragon destruction for us. But we do get to go check the dragon out up close and personal.

Eldan
2010-12-10, 10:55 AM
A biology major?

Please, spare me from your eventual cephalapod army of doom. (http://xkcd.com/520/)

Well, that one was delayed. I asked, and apparently, I'm not allowed to keep pet squids in Switzerland, no matter how cuddly I htink they are .

Anyway: Biology science is the best science. Welcome to the crazy people . :smallbiggrin:

Elfin
2010-12-10, 12:01 PM
Congratulations! Hope you have a great time!
Now the rest of this year seems rather meaningless, aye? :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2010-12-10, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Silverraptor! Though I realize that I was really rude there. I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound rude.

No. I am completely put down. Only a pokemon battle with me will make me feel better.

Nah, I forgive you.:smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-10, 03:11 PM
Go Coffee! Go Coffee! It's ya birthday! It's ya birthday! :smallcool:

Congrats.

Cobalt
2010-12-10, 04:28 PM
Hope I'm not too late for the congratulations party- That things are going so well for you is great news! I've yet to apply to any colleges myself, so I don't have even a smidgen of the feeling you must have. Congrats on getting in, and good luck!

Eldan
2010-12-10, 04:30 PM
Off-topic, but: your new avatar is really cute, KB.

toasty
2010-12-10, 04:33 PM
Cornell. :smallbiggrin:

Well, late Hanukkah, but yeah! :smallbiggrin:

I thought about Cornell. It appeared A) Too white B) Too far from the sunny land of Texas C) Somewhat too expensive (i would have had to get some serious scholarships; didn't look to much into what that meant).

Having said that, good for you. :smallsmile: College has been a blast this last semester, hopefully its just as great for you. :smallsmile:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-10, 06:47 PM
Ohes, word of advice? Text-books are a scam. With your major it might be different, but for me, I've only had to use one of the textbooks I've bought. Hundreds of dollars down the drain on some books I'm never going to look at. :smallannoyed:

Wait a week or two before you get yours, or borrow one from a friend who's already taken the course. A lot of times, I find, your professor will cover everything you need to know in his lectures, and the textbook is just supplementary. If you do need it, then try and see if you can find a cheaper copy online. One of my art textbooks cost around a hundred fifty dollars from the campus bookstore - I managed to find the exact same book for fifty dollars from some guy in Malaysia off of eBay.
Granted it's also one of the ones I haven't looked at, but still.

toasty
2010-12-10, 07:47 PM
Ohes, word of advice? Text-books are a scam. With your major it might be different, but for me, I've only had to use one of the textbooks I've bought. Hundreds of dollars down the drain on some books I'm never going to look at. :smallannoyed:

That really does depend on the major, I assume. I 3/5 textboks I bought a lot. One was a scam (never read it; A in the class. :smallsigh:), one wasn't so much a scam as it wasn't really... revelent. But that class was really badly organized. The other three were totally necessary. I don't know how I would have surived without them, my math class assigned work from the book, in theory I could have borrowed a book since I didn't actually read much of the textbook. But I didn't know anyone in the class (1st semester freshman: didn't know anyone at the college). My grammar (yes, you take grammar in College if you are a Business or English Writing Major. :smallbiggrin:) class didn't make it necessary, but it made it really, really a lot easier. Like, a LOT easier. And then the final class, my Poli-Sci class assigned reading from the book, reading that was basically 95% of the tests).

What I do know is that next semester, at least in the clases towards my major/honors classes, where I'll have friends in the class, I'll be borrowing more if possible. Also: I'll probably rent instead of buy, since there is really no reason to own textbooks.

Finally: the forum ate my last post. Congrats! You will have an awesome time at College. Its really fun.:smallcool: I considered Cornell very briefly but it didn't seem my type. I never checked out how strong their Writing Department (as in, English Writing/Technical Writing), but I know my school has a very good English Writing Program. So yeah, I'm happy. :smallbiggrin:

MonkeyBusiness
2010-12-10, 08:40 PM
I am very happy you are going to college.

I am thrilled to hear you are studying science at Cornell! Wow! Nice work, Coffee!

Starbuck_II
2010-12-10, 09:25 PM

Wait a week or two before you get yours, or borrow one from a friend who's already taken the course. A lot of times, I find, your professor will cover everything you need to know in his lectures, and the textbook is just supplementary. If you do need it, then try and see if you can find a cheaper copy online. One of my art textbooks cost around a hundred fifty dollars from the campus bookstore - I managed to find the exact same book for fifty dollars from some guy in Malaysia off of eBay.
Granted it's also one of the ones I haven't looked at, but still.

Always buy off ebay/Amazon if you can: Bookstore mark up prices by at least 50%.
The only books I never used was Mammalogy one this year, but that was because teacher explained well and he said we are graded from he said.

SaintRidley
2010-12-10, 10:08 PM
Congratulations, Coffee.

Hope it all goes awesomesauce for you.

Abies
2010-12-10, 11:53 PM
Congratulations! I know how difficult it can be to get accepted early into any programme that requires as much special attention as folks like us require.

I hope the private study and test-taking facilities they offer are sufficient to the needs you require.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-11, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much, everybody. I'd say more, but I'm really really tired. (I can't stay up late but I can force myself awake at 5 AM)

Caustic Soda
2010-12-11, 04:44 AM
Congrats Coffee! Both on the admission to College and the situation at home:smallsmile:. And I hope you have/have had a good nights sleep.

TheBibliophile
2010-12-11, 05:32 AM
Many and varied congratulations! I'm really glad you got the place you wanted.

Coidzor
2010-12-11, 07:18 AM
Thank you so much, everybody. I'd say more, but I'm really really tired. (I can't stay up late but I can force myself awake at 5 AM)

Well, that may or may not come in useful. I still recommend against morning classes though.

pendell
2010-12-11, 08:05 AM

Congratulations, Coffee!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

blackfox
2010-12-11, 12:11 PM
Well, that may or may not come in useful. I still recommend against morning classes though.Earliest classes here are 8am's, later than most high schools :smallbiggrin:

KenderWizard
2010-12-11, 12:16 PM
Earliest classes here are 8am's, later than most high schools :smallbiggrin:

8 AM?! That's LATER than high school?! My God! Earliest classes in my college are the Dreaded Nine O'Clock Lectures. (Schools also start at nine.) Earliest classes I have are 10am!

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-11, 12:16 PM

:smallannoyed:

I disapprove both of these facts. 9am is early enough (and even that's a push).

Edit: So much Swordsagery. I demand it's banned!!

blackfox
2010-12-11, 12:20 PM
It's also not particularly difficult to pick straight 10am's. I'm gonna have 2 9am's, 2 10am's, and an 11am next semester. It all evens out eventually. I've never had to get up before 8 for classes.

Coidzor
2010-12-11, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I'm glad the school system I was in for high school got its act together in regards to that.

Still an hour too early though.

Eldan
2010-12-11, 01:30 PM
We also started at 8am. We also didn't get to pick any lectures until year three, before that, everything was mandatory. So, stop complaining! :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-11, 06:08 PM
I just got the fat envelope. Now it's official. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-11, 06:11 PM
Congratulations! Also, when you do leave for college, make sure you have coffee included.:smallbiggrin:

Demon 997
2010-12-12, 12:12 AM
Bureaucracy won. New environmental regulations say that you can't burn any non-organic materials outside. No dragon destruction for us. But we do get to go check the dragon out up close and personal.

That sucks. Couldn't they build it out of wood? Or have the engineers destroy it some way not involving fire (it seems to me that fire is the LEAST destructive way a group of engineers would decide to destroy something)?

My classes start at 7:45.

Also a second congratulation Coffee, I'm sure you'll do great.

blackfox
2010-12-12, 02:49 AM
That sucks. Couldn't they build it out of wood? Or have the engineers destroy it some way not involving fire (it seems to me that fire is the LEAST destructive way a group of engineers would decide to destroy something)?

My classes start at 7:45.

Also a second congratulation Coffee, I'm sure you'll do great.Fire's traditional. It's a dragon. And the architects aren't gonna build a dragon out of wood when they could build a really cool dragon out of not wood, just so the engineers could burn it.

Demon 997
2010-12-12, 03:02 AM
Fire's traditional. It's a dragon. And the architects aren't gonna build a dragon out of wood when they could build a really cool dragon out of not wood, just so the engineers could burn it.

I just think that would lead to the engineers blowing it up/launching it/dropping it off a building etc

Asta Kask
2010-12-12, 04:38 AM

It's not fat. It's big-boned.

blackfox
2010-12-12, 11:19 AM
I just think that would lead to the engineers blowing it up/launching it/dropping it off a building etcIt's usually built up from a van stripped down to the roll cage. Finding a building that the school administration would let us drop it off of would be interesting. :smalltongue:

Instead, we prove that we are more manly through the size of our phoenix.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-12, 11:25 AM
It's usually built up from a van stripped down to the roll cage. Finding a building that the school administration would let us drop it off of would be interesting. :smalltongue:

Instead, we prove that we are more manly through the size of our phoenix.

I heard about the Dragon Day thing when I first took a tour. I'm going to have a lot of fun in college. :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2010-12-12, 11:29 AM
And if not, well, there's always breaking out the whips and chains. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-12-12, 11:45 AM
I always envy people going to universities/colleges where the students actually do stuff. Our university doesn't even have a campus as such, the buildings are all spread out over the city. And there's no student clubs or anything.

Jallorn
2010-12-12, 11:47 AM
Lucky.:smallmad::smallfrown:

I'm still waiting to hear from my ED college.:smallsigh:

Asta Kask
2010-12-12, 11:48 AM
I always envy people going to universities/colleges where the students actually do stuff. Our university doesn't even have a campus as such, the buildings are all spread out over the city. And there's no student clubs or anything.

But you have bees. Bees make honey. Honey makes mead. Do you see the possibilities?

Eldan
2010-12-12, 11:52 AM
The bees actually stand in the botanical garden, which belongs to our "rival", the cantonal university (we are federal) just across the street.

Asta Kask
2010-12-12, 12:11 PM
So you organize a mead-drinking competition against your rivals. And when the mead runs out you use the 70% ethanol used to clean the laboratory equipment.

Marnath
2010-12-12, 01:31 PM
So you organize a mead-drinking competition against your rivals. And when the mead runs out you use the 70% ethanol used to clean the laboratory equipment.

Isn't that dangerous? O.o

Asta Kask
2010-12-12, 01:49 PM
Isn't that dangerous? O.o

You have to water it down first.

Unless they've put stuff in it to make it undrinkable, 70% is ethanol-water. 96% and stronger is ethanol and some undrinkable thing. You can't get stronger than 95% ethanol-water; the ethanol just evaporates beyond that point.

toasty
2010-12-12, 01:59 PM

I thought 9AM would be wonderful since I was used to getting up at 7:30 in High School. Then I realized that if I went to bed at 1AM that was like 7 and 1/2 hours of sleep (30 minutes for getting food/waking up/walking to class). I am very glad my earliest class is 10AM this coming semester. No one, NO ONE, wants an 8AM class. Its there to torture students. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also, I'm rather uninvolved on my campus. But the thing is, I live in the dorms. This means I met a lot of awesome people. *nods*

Eldan
2010-12-12, 02:36 PM
That's another thing: we don't have dorms. Students have to find their own living space. Which means that a city of 500'000 people (about a million with all the surrounding villages which have basically grown together with the city and aren't really distinguishable anymore) has 80'000 students, most of which are looking for cheap apartments or rooms. So you get nice things like: "Single room, no water, no phone, no internet, no TV, 1500$/month." And you can bet students will line up for it.

toasty
2010-12-12, 02:38 PM
That's another thing: we don't have dorms. Students have to find their own living space. Which means that a city of 500'000 people (about a million with all the surrounding villages which have basically grown together with the city and aren't really distinguishable anymore) has 80'000 students, most of which are looking for cheap apartments or rooms. So you get nice things like: "Single room, no water, no phone, no internet, no TV, 1500$/month." And you can bet students will line up for it.

That is the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while. Of course, 1500 a month... hmm... I think thats actually a LOT more than what I pay for room and board, and I get water, electricity, Printing, and more food than I can eat for that amount.

But you do live in Sweden...

Eldan
2010-12-12, 02:41 PM
Switzerland. From what I heard, it's still closer to the normal price for a small flat everywhere other than in Zurich, not one room.

Marnath
2010-12-12, 02:43 PM
That is the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while. Of course, 1500 a month... hmm... I think thats actually a LOT more than what I pay for room and board, and I get water, electricity, Printing, and more food than I can eat for that amount.

But you do live in Sweden...

Zurich is in Switzerland. O.o

*edit: Ninja!

snoopy13a
2010-12-12, 09:15 PM

Is that $1500 Euros a month? If so, that's in equivalent to Manhattan, Boston, and San Francisco prices (especially as Euros are more expensive). Actually, probably a somewhat more as I'm assuming you're only getting one room in a multi-room apartment?

Eldan
2010-12-13, 04:51 AM
One room, yes. Though not Euros, Swiss francs. They are, at the moment, lower than Euros, but cost a little more than dollars.

And yes, recently, they determined that Zurich is amongst the priciest cities in the world. Especially our most expensive shopping street (one jeweler after the other) is up there with Manhattan and Tokyo.

Ashtar
2010-12-13, 05:36 AM
I can tell you, Zürich is more expensive than New York, Manhattan. I flew there from time to time to see my girlfriend and spend some holiday weeks. Compared to Zurich, everything was so cheap. Going to the Four Seasons (http://www.fourseasons.com/newyorkfs/dining/), the Gotham Bar & Grill (http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/content/view/21/), the Russian Tea Room (http://www.russiantearoomnyc.com/subindex.php?p=home) and many other classy places like that cost less than a meal in an average Zürich restaurant. The flat my girlfriend rented in the Upper West side (~$2'200 / month) would cost about $3'500 if not more in Zürich. I was looking for one like that and there's just no way to find something equivalent.

I go to Paris now, since my gf is living there. And talking to an engineer with the same position as me in a French company, I discovered I was earning double what he made per year.

Seriously, Zürich is nuts and Switzerland is really disconnected from the rest of the world.

Cloud
2010-12-13, 10:18 AM
Congratulations Coffee! I’m also doing Science, majoring in, *inhales*; Medical Microbiology and Immunology, majoring in Molecular Biology (…I really need to shorten that.)

Any idea what type of biology you want to do?

Sneak
2010-12-13, 05:14 PM
I don't mean to co-opt Coffee's thread or anything, but I figured I'd just post my news here since I don't think it really merits its own new thread:

So, I just got accepted early to Wesleyan University.

Sweet.

Asta Kask
2010-12-13, 05:17 PM
In lumine tuo videbimus lumen

Congratulations.

Ragitsu
2010-12-13, 05:19 PM
In lumine tuo videbimus lumen

Congratulations.

Is that Latin?

Asta Kask
2010-12-13, 05:22 PM
I hope so.

It is, apparently, the motto of Wesleyan University.

Sneak
2010-12-13, 05:26 PM
Actually, I think that's the motto of the Ohio Wesleyan University. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Wesleyan_University) Which is similarly named but not quite the same as Wesleyan University, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_University), which I believe does not in fact have a motto. :smalltongue:

Still, thanks!

KenderWizard
2010-12-13, 06:40 PM

Exciting!!

I don't mean to co-opt Coffee's thread or anything, but I figured I'd just post my news here since I don't think it really merits its own new thread:

Sweet.

Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-13, 06:59 PM

Sweet.

Congratulations, Sneak!

And now for something completely different. I pity my future roommate. On that note, I pity any future boyfriend I may have, should I ever have one. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenkiGirl) (TvTropes warning!)

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-13, 08:08 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with genki. ^_^

Blue Ghost
2010-12-13, 10:40 PM

Second that. :smallbiggrin:
You sure you don't mind the weather and environment over at Cornell, Coffee? I've heard some pretty grim things about it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-13, 10:54 PM

Second that. :smallbiggrin:
You sure you don't mind the weather and environment over at Cornell, Coffee? I've heard some pretty grim things about it.

Thanks, guys. :smallsmile: I like being genki, but I know it can be a drain on others...

Yeah, the first time I went I visited in the middle of February; it was spit-goes-clink cold. I don't like the cold, but I can deal with it. And it's a very pretty campus. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-13, 10:56 PM
Thanks, guys. :smallsmile: I like being genki, but I know it can be a drain on others...

Yeah, the first time I went I visited in the middle of February; it was spit-goes-clink cold. I don't like the cold, but I can deal with it. And it's a very pretty campus. :smallsmile:

Really? I find genki people to be inspirationally energetic! =D

...unless they're, like, indestructible energy ball people. v.v

Silverraptor
2010-12-15, 12:36 AM
I find that sometimes you can have the best type of moments when you're around genki people. Though I don't really know too many myself...