PDA

View Full Version : 4e Inspired ACFs - [PEACH] [3.5]

NineThePuma
2010-12-09, 07:22 PM
Hunter's Quarry
Lose: Favored Enemy class feature, Animal Companion class feature
Gain: Hunter's Quarry class feature
Starting at level 1, the Ranger can use a swift action to mark a single target as her Quarry. She gains +1d6 precision damage to all attacks made against her Quarry so long as the ranger is within 30 feet. Effects that increase the range of other sources of Precision Damage (such as Crossbow Sniper) work with Hunter's Quarry.
Bonus damage improves by 1d6 at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

Mostly just my ramblings about 4e to Lix inspired this, but I'm actually impressed by some of the classes, and am liable to make other '4e' ACFs for less awesome classes.

Favored enemy is a horrible class feature and extraordinarily situational, unless you're using Swift Hunter to abuse it. Two Weapon Fighting is bad, with TWF's only saving grace being when you can stack awesome precision damage on it. Archery is also pretty bad, but that's mostly feat tax problems. Thus, the Hunter's Quarry is born. It's upgraded from 4e's version, but it needs to compete with Sneak Attack Rogue TWF builds. This led me to make it a bit stronger and less situational. Archery has its own issues, but I'm not sure how to fix that without buffing Combat Style.

On suggestions from Cadian, I altered this slightly and changed out the wording some, weakening it but it's still pretty solid, I think.

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 11:36 PM
Skilled Combatant
Lose: First Level Bonus Feat, Martial Ranged Weapon Proficiency
Gain: Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority.
Combat Challenge (Ex): Starting at level 1, enemies that the fighter attacks with a melée weapon, whether she hits or not, receive a cumulative -1 penalty to attack rolls that do not target her until the end of her next turn. Additionally, the fighter may use a swift action to "mark" a target for the rest of the encounter. Marked targets that she threatens provoke an attack of opportunity when taking five foot steps or making an attack that does not include the fighter. She may have as many targets marked as she desires.
The penalty increases by 1 at every odd level.
Combat Superiority (Ex): The fighter receives a bonus on attacks of opportunity equal to the modifier of her highest mental stat. Additionally, if she successfully connects with an attack of opportunity that was provoked by movement, the opponent stops moving. If it still has actions remaining it can use them to resume moving.
Another one. I'm eliminating the fluffier aspects, but this particular ability let's you force one (or more) enemies to focus their attention on you, grabbing their attention and basically forcing them to target you. At level 1 a -1 isn't anything to write home about, but at level 6 you get a second attack and can start stacking penalties on your foes. This makes TWF and the likes of Whirlwind Attack much more valuable, and no longer precludes defensive builds. Naturally, if you still wanna be aggressive, nothings stopping you.

Aldgar
2011-02-06, 01:50 AM
Can a fighter have several foes marked at once?
How long do the marks last?

Combat superiority is worded in a way that means that any foe who provokes an AoO by movement from a fighter stops moving, wether the fighter's AoO hits or not.

NineThePuma
2011-02-06, 08:04 PM
Can a fighter have several foes marked at once?
How long do the marks last?

Combat superiority is worded in a way that means that any foe who provokes an AoO by movement from a fighter stops moving, wether the fighter's AoO hits or not.

Yes, Until end of encounter, and 'oops' respectively.

EDIT: Fix'd.