PDA

View Full Version : Building Michael Westen

Admiral Squish
2010-12-09, 11:05 PM
So, I'm sure some of you have seen Burn Notice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Notice). For those who haven't that link holds a lot of information, but the basic summary is I want to build a secret agent. Lots and lots of tips and tricks, massive bluff, intimidate, and diplomacy bonuses, and knows his explosives. Plus, of course, really good with a gun. Anyways, I'm looking to make him into my character for an espionage/intrigue campaign.

Black_Zawisza
2010-12-09, 11:21 PM
Game/Edition? :smalltongue:

JaronK
2010-12-09, 11:23 PM
Factotum. Done!

JaronK

Admiral Squish
2010-12-09, 11:29 PM
Game/Edition? :smalltongue:

Ooop, sorry, D&D 3.5.

Feliks878
2010-12-09, 11:32 PM
Factotum. Done!

JaronK

It will basically amount to this in my mind as well. Rogue seems like the first logical choice, but when you look at the sheer amount of versatile tricks Westen pulls off in the series and his extraordinarily high level of esoteric knowledge, Foctotum is where it's at. Actually stating his ability scores is hard because he's actually good at pretty much everything, considering he's the main character of the show and all.

He's tough, strong, has good aim/fast reflexes, is intelligent, has good street smarts, and an incredible bluff, even if he comes off a little uncharismatic sometimes.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-10, 01:22 AM
Factotum's the easy answer, though...

Psyx
2010-12-10, 06:57 AM
Factotum, and demand to start at level 20. With the Leadership feat, of course. And Skill Focus: Everything.

Hanuman
2010-12-10, 07:20 AM
Glibness is a good way to hit epic bluff.

Coidzor
2010-12-10, 07:28 AM
Changeling Rogue Substitution Level 1 is, of course, always nice for all of the skills. Then some Factotium to alloy it with.

Failing that, there are an ungodly number of sneaky PrCs, so it'd take a while to pick out the good ones. Uncanny Trickster'd probably get put in there somewhere.

...And some way to combine Changeling and Human Paragon...

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-10, 12:05 PM
Chemelion is an option, as he puts on so many faces every episode.

LibraryOgre
2010-12-10, 12:52 PM
Rogue or bard; you might be able to go with an urban ranger type, somewhat representing his favored enemy (more like favored organizations; he knows how to be Russian enough to fool Russians, for example); it's the "martial skillmonkey" type. I might also suggest either some rogue levels, or allowing him some access to bard spells. Bluff should probably be on the class skill list.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-10, 12:58 PM
Factotum. Done!

JaronK

This.

Optimize the crap out of bluff. Don't bother putting points into diplomacy.

J.Gellert
2010-12-10, 01:08 PM
Come on, you know it... Wizard, just because of all the wacky things he routinely pulls off - besides, he's crazy prepared, and when caught by surprise he never attacks blindly. In fact, he never attacks unless he is certain he is going to win, classic Batman Wizard.

Otherwise, I don't see why he couldn't be a straight rogue... With high Int and Cha, and a lot of Knowledge skills.

Also Bluff. Yes, this needed an entire line by itself.

The thing is, D&D 3,5 isn't great for this sort of character. He is obviously not what you would call "high level" as he couldn't possibly fight off a Demon or Dragon or what have you in the fictional universe... but he has many, many different talents, which to represent accurately... would require a high point buy, and many feats. He also plays like a low-level wizard, but has no magic. Are there classes like this in D&D?

If I homebrewed it, it'd be a skillmonkey that can create and use "gadgets", that would play like spells. When you rest, you prepare your gadgets, and each gadget is good for one use and then breaks (or whatever, DM's call). You can also "leave gadget slots open" to prepare gadgets mid-adventure, which takes more time. Of course the spell list would mostly include explosives, listening devices, lock-picking, and sometimes mind-control.

Hey, it fits Vancian magic more than Magic does! :smalltongue: I am inspired now!

Coidzor
2010-12-10, 03:59 PM
Wait... putting on many faces.... Binder!?