PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 99: Telawristem vs. Draiv the Scythe

ArenaManager
2010-12-10, 12:41 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 99: Telawristem vs. Draiv the Scythe

Map:http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/ffa07-platforms.png

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Telawristem (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=245756) - Thelas
Draiv the Scythe (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=9204) - Show

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

Thelas
2010-12-10, 08:43 AM
Refs

Does readying an action count as taking an action for force-pane purposes?
Does 'taking an action' include free actions, such as speaking?

No purchases to declare.
Initiative: [roll0]

Sallera
2010-12-10, 11:49 AM
Telawristem:Yes, both readying and free actions would trigger the panes. Speaking is generally considered exempt from things that require an action, however.

Show
2010-12-10, 12:42 PM
Checking in. I hope my first round goes well!
Initiative: [roll0]
I might not be able to post until tonight.

Show
2010-12-10, 09:51 PM
Alright. I'm purchasing a light crossbow(25 gp) and 80 bolts(8 gp) for a grand total of 33, leaving me with 0 GP remaining.

Thelas: I'm ready if you are...

Judges: Where do I start? Any of the four, or do we each start in entrances opposite each other?

My ebil strategy(judges and audience)(yes, I am that vain)
I plan to just pepper him with crossbow bolts. Eventually he'll throw the lamp off the edge. If it comes to that, I'll just have to start throwing alchemist's fire at the platform until I can see him again.

Thelas
2010-12-10, 10:50 PM
Draiv - after your judge call is answered, I have no objections to you beginning your turn. But AFTER your judge call.

Thelas
2010-12-10, 10:53 PM
But actually, one thing may be important.
Refs

Am I required to explicity declare purchasing 0-cost items or can I just write them on my sheet now?

Sallera
2010-12-10, 11:38 PM
You start in the colour matching that of your name up top, so Y13/Z14 for Draiv and A13/B14 for Telawristem.

Telawristem:You must declare all purchases, even free ones.

Also, both players should declare starting location and held items (in a ref spoiler, if you don't have a light) before the match begins, as well as whether they have an active light source.

Thelas
2010-12-10, 11:52 PM
Okay then. Purchases will be made after all.
{TABLE]Item|Price
Sling|0
20 Sling Bullets|0.2
4 Ladders|0.2
Total|0.4
[/TABLE]
EDIT: Reduced number of ladders because I thought they weighed less.
Stuff will be added to the sheet tomorrow, as I am unable to do so today.
Refs

Balance DCs or whatever, if any, to lay down a ladder and cross over a pit with it?
If an opponent jumps to a square and I ready an action to move to the square they jump to, what happens?
--questions after this line are general ones that while I would like answered for my future reference this match may still continue if I have no answer.--
Please provide an algorithm such that for any Ex ability E one can determine if ability E is considered spellcasting.
Please provide a complete definition of an ability - for instance, is having two legs a (Na) ability or not an ability? Is the ability to take a melee attack a (Na) ability or not an ability? Of course, this definition must be unambiguous - basically, provide an algorithm such that for any string of text s, the algorithm determines if the D&D game object s represents is an ability?
Readying an action is a visible action but not a visible condition. What about delaying?
What is a 'weapon', 'armor', a 'shield', an 'attack', an 'effect', a 'condition'? As above, algorithm given any string s the algorithm determines if the D&D game object s represents is a ___.

Sallera
2010-12-11, 12:24 AM
Telawristem:Balance DC: Irrelevant here unless you can find a ladder longer than 10ft, but DC20, as we can probably safely assume each rung you'd be standing on is less than 2 inches thick.
Jumping: If they have a standard action remaining, they can attempt a bull rush to continue. If not, they fall, although they receive a DC15 Reflex save to catch the edge.
Ex spellcasting: Nonexistent, essentially. Spellcasting is by definition not an Ex ability.
Abilities: May not be possible to create a perfect definition here. Generally, though, if it doesn't require an action, it's a quality, not an ability. For your specific examples, having two legs is not an ability. "The ability to take a melee attack" isn't really a defined game condition at all, being rather a function of other conditions.
Delaying: All changes to initiative are communicated to all players, regardless of visibility.
Weapon: Any object or part of the body that can be used to make an attack roll.
Armour: Any physical object that grants an armour bonus to AC.
Shield: Any physical object that grants a shield bonus to AC.
Attack: Hrm... essentially, anything that requires an attack roll, any offensive effect that targets a creature or whose area of effect includes a creature, and any effect that targets an opponent or whose area of effect includes an opponent.
Effect: Getting a little abstract here. This one probably isn't defined too well in game terms.
Condition: I'm beginning to wonder if you're thinking too far ahead and trying to find ways to break Iron Heart Surge. :smalltongue: Specific questions will get you more accurate answers.

Show
2010-12-11, 04:29 PM
Alright. Everyone ready?

Thelas
2010-12-11, 05:31 PM
Refs

MMV says spellcasting is (Ex) at least in some cases [such as the hobgoblins in the book]...

This is non-urgent, so you can take your turn.

Sallera
2010-12-11, 06:25 PM
Telawristem:Ah, I misunderstood your question. Yes, the Ex ability essentially grants the spellcasting class feature, but the actual spells cast are still spells, not Ex abilities. (In other words, like an ordinary wizard, a Warsoul does not lose access to her spells while in an antimagic field, they simply do not function without something like Invoke Magic or Initiate of Mystra. Without the spellcasting ability itself being Ex, it wouldn't match the behaviour of a normal caster.)

Show
2010-12-11, 10:04 PM
Actions:
Start in Y13 carrying loaded crossbow, psionically focused.
Move: Move to R12, auto succeed on jump check.
Swift Action: Stance of Clarity->Telawristem
Standard: Delay for triggered action.
Action- fire crossbow at Telawristem. Trigger- Telawristem is visible.
End turn in R12, action readied.

Stats:
AC: 18 vs. Telawristem Touch 14, Flat 14, 14/10/10 vs. others
HP: 8/8
Effects: Stance of Clarity(Telawristem)
Held: Light crossbow(+2,1d8)
R12

Thelas
2010-12-11, 10:34 PM
Is your turn over?

Show
2010-12-11, 10:38 PM
Yes, end turn.

Thelas
2010-12-11, 11:08 PM
Turn - no openy unless you have LOS

Refs

Is there any way of me knowing if the force panes on the right side have disintegrated yet? Assuming there isn't, but if there is, my turn is not necessarily what is listed.

Draiv, if you can read this because you have LoS somehow, there is a condition listed in the ref spoiler that will cause my turn to be different from these actions.
Move Action:
Move to ??- rest of turn spoilered because you might not have LoS to the new location

Move from a starting position of B13 diagonally to C12 (1) to D11 (3) to E10 (4).
Standard Action:
Ready an action. Action spoilered, trigger spoilered separately because that's how I like to do it.
T:

See an enemy - enemy finishes their movement or is exactly 10 ft from me.

A:

Shoot with sling.

Refs

My turn is also different if picking up the candles are a free action. Please advise.

Turn not over, waiting on ref rulings.

Sallera
2010-12-11, 11:44 PM
Telawristem:There is not, unless you have a way of illuminating them or coming within range of your darkvision. However, before your turn, you do see Draiv in W12 and V12, wielding a crossbow, before he leaves LoS to the west. You may revise your turn if you wish.

Thelas
2010-12-12, 12:11 AM
I will revise my turn in the morning. My previous turn is null and void.

Thelas
2010-12-12, 11:10 AM
Actually... my previous turn stays exactly as written, unless I gain LoS partway through the turn, a readied action goes off, or something like that.
Turn is over IF AND ONLY IF a ref says it is.

Sallera
2010-12-12, 11:56 AM
Draiv:Just noticed an error with your movement; you're moving through several squares of darkness, which must be done at half speed, so you don't have enough movement to make it further than U12 along that route with a single move action. Please revise your movement. (Also, please include your readied maneuvers in your stat block.)

Show
2010-12-12, 01:27 PM
Turn 1: Draiv(revised)
LOS:
Start in Y13, holding loaded crossbow. All items carried.
Move: Y13 to U12
Swift: Declare Stance of Clarity on Telawristem
Standard: Prepare action.
Trigger-LOS to Telawristem, Action-Fire crossbow at Telawristem

Stats:

AC:Telawristem: 18/14/14, Others: 14/10/10
Effects: Stance of Clarity
PsiFocus: Yes
Maneuvers: Burning Blade, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Shadow Blade

End Turn.

Sallera
2010-12-12, 03:09 PM
Draiv:Your readied action triggers as Telawristem enters D11, wielding shield and sling. Do you take it?

Telawristem:Please specify what you are holding at match start.

Thelas
2010-12-12, 07:15 PM
Refs

Right. Sling (loaded), shield held.

Show
2010-12-12, 09:32 PM
Triggered action is activated, I take it.
Attacking Telawristem with crossbow, -1 range penalty:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Sallera
2010-12-12, 09:34 PM
For reference, this happens when Telawristem reaches D11. Telawristem may revise the remainder of his turn, if he so wishes.

Thelas
2010-12-13, 06:55 AM
Where's the attack made from?

Sallera
2010-12-13, 11:43 AM
You can't see Draiv at the moment.

Thelas
2010-12-14, 02:48 PM
I don't get to know the direction of the attack?

Sallera
2010-12-14, 02:50 PM
No, you don't.

Thelas
2010-12-16, 11:39 AM
Blargh posts not working right.
Turn amendment

No changes.

Sallera
2010-12-16, 12:08 PM
Refs:Nyar.

Telawristem:No LoS.

Draiv:Telawristem moves to E10 and readies an action.

Show
2010-12-16, 06:16 PM
Turn 2: Draiv
Hmmm.
Actions:

Move: U12 to W12, W12 to U12. Hiding.
Standard: Convert to another move action. U12 to Q12, automatically succeed on jump check. Still hiding.
Hide Check: [roll0]
End turn.
If LOS:

Move U12 to W12, W12 to U12, U12 to Q12.
End turn.

Show
2010-12-16, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I've got to post my stats. Here:
Stats:

AC: 18 vs. Telawristem Touch 14, Flat 14, 14/10/10 vs. others
Effects: Stance of Clarity(Telawristem), Hiding.
Held: Light crossbow(+2,1d8)
Q12

Sallera
2010-12-16, 06:56 PM
Refs:Spot for Telawristem: [roll0]
Taking into account areas of darkness, Draiv moved more than half speed.

Telawristem:Draiv moves to Q12, ending his turn there and triggering your readied action.

Draiv:Telawristem is in E10.

TheFallenOne
2011-01-11, 11:35 AM
High Ref TheFallenOne

Telawristem bites the lightning, Draiv stands victorious