PDA

View Full Version : Does My Changeling... Genderbed? (Dresden)

StoryKeeper
2010-12-10, 02:37 AM
So I'm looking at joining a Dresden Files game in the near future, and I'm considering playing a changeling. Specifically, I'm looking at playing the son of a baobhan-sith (pronounced like bavanshee.) For those of you who don't know, bavanshees are all beautiful, graceful, clawed, blood-sucking fey wit a fondness for singing and dancing. They're also all female. In Dresden, when your changeling decides to make THE CHOICE, he generally becomes the sort of fey his parent was. Would this mean that my guy would become female? Maybe I could figure out a different sort of fey for him to turn into? If the latter, what sort of fey would be a good representation of a male version of a baobhan-sith?

Fizban
2010-12-10, 03:54 AM
Wasn't there an exact example of this in the books? If I recall correctly, there were a pair of half-fey sisters who helped him out. Later, one of them went full human, and the other went full fey, the result being a hulking male fey fighting at the climax of the book.

Dragonmuncher
2010-12-10, 09:50 AM
Nah... the girl you're thinking of Chose to become fey, and turned into a troll, but it's never said that her gender changes, I think.

Lapak
2010-12-10, 11:53 AM
I'd say adding five hundreds pounds of muscle, claws capable of tearing through rock, and a personality shift that drops a raging unquenchable blood-thirst in place of a generally nice person is at least as much of a change as a gender shift. So I don't see a problem running it either way; it's up to you and the person running the game.

(That said, if I'd been presented with this question by a player who didn't have a character already in mind, I've have said that half-fae children with that variety of fae parent always come out as girls; that fits into folklore just fine and makes the question moot.)

randomhero00
2010-12-10, 02:34 PM
wth are you guys talking about? I never remember reading about those in any of the books...

Dragonmuncher
2010-12-10, 02:41 PM
wth are you guys talking about? I never remember reading about those in any of the books...

In Summer Night, Harry encounters changelings: half-human, half-faerie teenagers. It's the first book where Mab requests a favor of Harry.

randomhero00
2010-12-10, 02:42 PM
In Summer Night, Harry encounters changelings: half-human, half-faerie teenagers. It's the first book where Mab requests a favor of Harry.

Huh, I need to reread them then. I read them as they came out. Been a fan since he started writing (which was quite awhile ago).

Changelings sound quite interesting to play.

ninja_penguin
2010-12-10, 06:10 PM
In Dresden, when your changeling decides to make THE CHOICE

if you picked fey you're now an NPC, as far as I understand the rules. Fey and other supernaturals are considered to have zero refresh.

StoryKeeper
2010-12-11, 03:52 AM
if you picked fey you're now an NPC, as far as I understand the rules. Fey and other supernaturals are considered to have zero refresh.

Pretty much true, but not what I was asking. :p