PDA

View Full Version : Scout wit TWF (3.5)

Adamaro
2010-12-10, 06:33 AM
So I have a scout with two shortswords and TWF feat, lvl 1.

Can I use skirmish (move 10 feet, +1d6 per attack) and thus deal +1d6 on both attacks with shortswords, thus dealing 4d6 dmg?

Amphetryon
2010-12-10, 07:13 AM
So I have a scout with two shortswords and TWF feat, lvl 1.

Can I use skirmish (move 10 feet, +1d6 per attack) and thus deal +1d6 on both attacks with shortswords, thus dealing 4d6 dmg?

Do you have a way to Pounce at 1st level, as a scout? If so, yes. If not, no.

Adamaro
2010-12-10, 07:34 AM
So if I have this scout I can only do the following:
- do full attack with both weapons, no skirmish bonus
- do standard move+attack for additional 1d6?

Amphetryon
2010-12-10, 07:38 AM
So if I have this scout I can only do the following:
- do full attack with both weapons, no skirmish bonus
- do standard move+attack for additional 1d6?Correct. Without pounce or manyshot (for ranged scouts) or some other way to get an extra move action, skirmish cannot be used in conjunction with a full attack action.

Eldariel
2010-12-10, 07:43 AM
Correct. Without pounce or manyshot (for ranged scouts) or some other way to get an extra move action, skirmish cannot be used in conjunction with a full attack action.

Which is why Travel Devotion is so popular on Scouts; move as Swift Action and full attack. ToB dip also helps for Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap and so on to attack as a standard action with both weapons, move as a swift action and so on, but that's not doable on level 1 also getting Scout. Meh.

There's also Dual Strike-feat which allows attacking as both weapons as a standard action, but that's an unnecessary feat tax that really should be given with the TWF feat alone. Gah I hate the full attack mechanics of 3.X so...

WinceRind
2010-12-10, 11:46 AM
Which is why Travel Devotion is so popular on Scouts; move as Swift Action and full attack. ToB dip also helps for Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap and so on to attack as a standard action with both weapons, move as a swift action and so on, but that's not doable on level 1 also getting Scout. Meh.

There's also Dual Strike-feat which allows attacking as both weapons as a standard action, but that's an unnecessary feat tax that really should be given with the TWF feat alone. Gah I hate the full attack mechanics of 3.X so...

Yeah, ToB or Travel Devotion is probably a better choice for you, OP.

Dual Strike line of feats is really overbloated and isn't that good in the first place. It only adds more negative modifiers to your attack roll, unlike the dual weapon attacks from ToB like the Wolf Fang Strike (which you can get through an easy 1 level dip (if you go Warblade, you can have it available every second round), or 1 feat for 1 use/encounter).

Sudden leap is also amazing, especially if you go Warblade. You can do full attack with your weapons with skirmish damage to each hit every 2nd round Sudden leap makes you capable of jumping as a swift action, and the DC for a 10 foot standing long jump is only 20... And since you can only have one of a maneuver prepared, you'd just have to spend another swift action to recharge them all some time later.

And surely, 1 or 2 level dip in a full bab d12 class can't be that bad considering the benefits.

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-10, 12:24 PM
And you get blood in the water stance to make your two keen high crit range weapons grant you a stacking +1 to hit and damage every crit you score.

Vladislav
2010-12-10, 12:30 PM

Dual strike doesn't seem to help, because ...

Special: When you make this attack, you apply precision- based damage (such as from sneak attack) only once.Which kinda sucks, since the whole point of TWF is to be able to apply precision-based damage twice.

Eldariel
2010-12-10, 02:16 PM
Dual strike doesn't seem to help, because ...

Which kinda sucks, since the whole point of TWF is to be able to apply precision-based damage twice.

Oh right, I forgot it blew even harder than I thought it would. It would be bad even if it applied Precision Damage normally. Well, geez.