View Full Version : Ways to Increase Base Land Speed and Jump Checks [3.5]

dextercorvia
2010-12-10, 12:29 PM
I'm working on ways to optimize the Jump check of a character using Landshark boots bound to the Totem Chakra, and it looks like one of the best ways is increasing speed. So far, I have:

Races:
Xeph Burst ability +10' (1st) +20' (5th) +30' (9th) lasts 3 rounds, 3/day Competence
Thrikreen +30 Racial to Jump

Class Dips:
Horse Totem Barabarian 2 +10' and Run feat
Fist of the Forest 1 +10'
Duskblade 1 (2-3/day Swift Expeditious Retreat +30')
Cleric +10' (Celerity domain -- See below)
Bloodclaw Master 2 Tiger Claw Synergy +10' while in Tiger Claw stance

Traits/Feats:
Quick Trait: +10', -1HP/level
Planar Touchstone: Catalogs of Enlightenment (Celerity) +10 feet
Speed of Thought +10' Insight (Req's PP reserve (for Psionic Focus) and Wis 13)
Mental Leap +30 to Jump Check (Expend Psionic Focus)
Leap of the Heavens No increased DC for not running, +5 competence on Jump if you do.

Manuevers/Stances/Skill Tricks
Sudden Leap Swift action automatically Jump check, move the result of your check.
Leaping Dragon Stance +10 to Jump Checks, considered running
Extreme Leap Horizontal Jump of 10' or more allows you to move 10' as a swift action
I would like to keep full-ish BAB (no fractional, so repeated dips into average or low BAB classes will hurt).

I'm mainly worried about levels 2-6 -- so no expensive magic items, and UMD is not really an option.

Vladislav
2010-12-10, 12:41 PM
Quick trait: +10 ft, at the cost of -1 hit point per level

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-10, 12:43 PM
Quick trait (SRD/UA) +10 ft /-1HP per level
Speed of thought psionic feat (requires PP reserve and psionic focus)
Item/wand/ of expeditious retreat....

Vladislav
2010-12-10, 12:45 PM
Item/wand/ of expeditious retreat....Or be Duskblade level 1 and cast Quick Expeditious Retreat

Psyren
2010-12-10, 12:53 PM
While we're talking psionic feats, Mental Leap (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#mentalLeap) can help.

You can even combine Mental Leap and Speed of Thought. Run while focused with the speed bonus, expend focus for Mental Leap as a free action and soar.

dextercorvia
2010-12-10, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, I've updated the list. I can't believe I missed the Quick trait.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 01:00 PM
Xeph's get the xeph burst ability - +30ft to land speed for 3 turns, 3/day. That's a +12 to Jump checks.

WinWin
2010-12-10, 01:01 PM
Choker. An extra standard action per turn means you don't need to slow down to buff or you can fit an extra move in.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 01:05 PM
Also, form ToB:Swift Leap maneuver and Leaping Dragon Stance.
From PHB2: Leap of the Clouds.
Complete Scoundrel: Extreme Leap skill trick.

Is this for a Battle Jump build, btw?

dextercorvia
2010-12-10, 01:09 PM
Choker. An extra standard action per turn means you don't need to slow down to buff or you can fit an extra move in.

Choker? I hardly know 'er.

On the serious side, Creature, Item, Spell, Source?

Also, form ToB:Swift Leap maneuver and Leaping Dragon Stance.
From PHB2: Leap of the Clouds.
Complete Scoundrel: Extreme Leap skill trick.

Is this for a Battle Jump build, btw?

I'm not sure about Battle Jump... I was just reading through MoI and thought that it looked cool and was wondering how quick I could get a +19 (or +39) to my jump check consistently. What is this Battle Jump?

WinWin
2010-12-10, 01:09 PM
Thri Kreen get a +30 racial bonus to jump checks. If you are building a battle jumping pouncer, that and multi attack is difficult to match.

Greenish
2010-12-10, 01:11 PM
Also, form ToB:Swift Leap maneuver and Leaping Dragon Stance.Also Bloodclaw Master: +10' speed while in Tiger Claw stance. Only medium BAB though.

WinWin
2010-12-10, 01:16 PM
Choker? I hardly know 'er.

On the serious side, Creature, Item, Spell, Source?

I'm not sure about Battle Jump... I was just reading through MoI and thought that it looked cool and was wondering how quick I could get a +19 (or +39) to my jump check consistently. What is this Battle Jump?

Choker is an Aberration from MM1. A small grappler.

Battle Jump is a feat from Unapproachable East. It allows attacks by taking move actions to jump on people. That is not all it does though.

Tyger
2010-12-10, 01:17 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: Shadow template grants +10 untyped bonus to speed. 22K for the continual use version.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 01:21 PM
Regional feat from Unaproachable East. Double damage if you start a charge by dropping from at least 10ft (I think it was 10 ft). Because of poor wording, you can even get multiple charges out of your movement, though I believe intent is just for full damage on a charge. As always, YMMV.

Darrin
2010-12-10, 01:24 PM
Dread Carapace bound to your feet chakra actually gives you a better speed increase: +60' enhancement bonus, +10' per essentia.

Xeph Speed Burst (XPH), up to +30' as a racial ability.

Take 5 levels of Wildshape Ranger for wildshape (UA), then take Cheetah's Speed (wild feat). Increases your base speed to 50', and you get a x10 multiplier when charging.

Dash feat (Miniatures Handbook): +5' untyped bonus.

Divine Vigor feat (Complete Divine): convert turn undead into +10' untyped bonus.

Improved Speed (Draconomicon): +20' fly speed (if you have flight), and +10' to all other movement modes. Must have the dragon type.

Swiftstride Capsule (Complete Adventurer): +5' untyped bonus for 2 rounds.

Tempo Bloodspike (Magic of Eberron): extra move action.

Wild racial template (Dragon #306): +5' racial bonus.

dextercorvia
2010-12-10, 01:30 PM
Choker is an Aberration from MM1. A small grappler.

Battle Jump is a feat from Unapproachable East. It allows attacks by taking move actions to jump on people. That is not all it does though.

Is Choker a playable race?

UE is one of the books I don't have access to that I would actually still like.

Greenish
2010-12-10, 01:32 PM
Is Choker a playable race?No, it has LA -.

dextercorvia
2010-12-10, 02:24 PM
Wow. There are a lot of ways to increase movement.

Side note on Dread Carapace. If I only take Totemist 2 but at CL 6 pick up Open Least Chakra (Feet), could I bind both Landshark Boots to Totem and Dread Carapace to Feet, or would I still be limited by the Totemists total of 1 chakra bind?

Endarire
2010-12-10, 05:33 PM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon) has a bunhca advice.

Toliudar
2010-12-10, 07:11 PM
IIRC, Neraphim (from the Planar Handbook) get +5 to jump checks and some nice perks for charging, for a LA +0 race.

gorfnab
2010-12-11, 12:31 AM
Wildshape or Polymorph into a Cheetah. Use its Sprint ability for a nice +188 to your jump check from your 500ft land speed.

AslanCross
2010-12-11, 03:14 AM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: Shadow template grants +10 untyped bonus to speed. 22K for the continual use version.

The Shadow Template in Lords of Madness gives x1.5 speed. I think the Collar of Umbral Metemorphosis gives the Dark template instead, which does have a flat +10 speed bonus.

The Tactical feat Perfect Clarity of Mind and Body from Tome of Battle gives an untyped +30 bonus to speed for one round if you fought defensively or used Total Defense the previous turn. As with most tactical feats, it's obtainable by 6th level.

FelixG
2010-12-11, 05:58 AM
No, it has LA -.

if his GM lets him use pathfinder material he could use its CR :smallbiggrin:

WinWin
2010-12-11, 07:52 AM
Or play an Elan and cast Alter Self.

A druid with aberrant wildshape could do the same. As could any character with polymorph self.

Lateral
2010-12-11, 08:06 AM
For some reason, I can't find the thread, but there was a way on the old wizard boards to get land speed and a jump check in the thousands.

dextercorvia
2010-12-11, 08:10 AM
Wow. There are a lot of ways to increase movement.

Side note on Dread Carapace. If I only take Totemist 2 but at CL 6 pick up Open Least Chakra (Feet), could I bind both Landshark Boots to Totem and Dread Carapace to Feet, or would I still be limited by the Totemists total of 1 chakra bind?

I realized later that I used a bad example. The Landshark Boots would have to occupy the feet chakra, so I couldn't bind the Dread Carapace there. But, I still have the same question, say Griffon Claws bound to a feat opened Hands Chakra and Landshark Boots bound to Totem Chakra at Char. Level 6 Totemist level 2?

Or play an Elan and cast Alter Self.

A druid with aberrant wildshape could do the same. As could any character with polymorph self.

Alter Self, Polymorph, and Wild Shape (not sure about the aberrant version) specifically exclude the Su abilities/special qualities, of which Quickness is both. There is that Assume Supernatural Ability feat that is used for the Beholder Mage trick... That might do it.

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 09:52 AM
For some reason, I can't find the thread, but there was a way on the old wizard boards to get land speed and a jump check in the thousands.

Footsteps of the Divine + Persistent Spell. The basis of Chuck.
Unfortunately, it's ilegal.

Lateral
2010-12-11, 10:03 AM
No, IIRC, it used the Cheetah and a bunch of speed enhancers. Though, I don't see why Chuck is illegal.

Edit: Oh, it was errata'd.

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 10:08 AM
No, IIRC, it used the Cheetah and a bunch of speed enhancers. Though, I don't see why Chuck is illegal.

You can't persist 'dischargeable' steps. Footsteps of the Divine was declared as such in the errata.

Andon Belur
2011-03-23, 04:15 AM
In case you aren't aware already and can take a +1 Level Adjustment (you mention Thri-keen so you might be) I suggest CATFOLK as a race. They have a +1 Bonus to Dex and Charisma (which is a dump stat for high jumping fast movement characters like Monks and Barbarian). They get 40 FEET base land speed. Another LA +1 option is Dark Creature- which is a stealthy template streamlined in Tome of Magic from the Shadow template. It has the advantage of being applicable to ANY creature and increasing movement, all movement (unlike, unfortunately for the build I'm working on, Feral), by 10 ft.

There are magic items that increase base land speed- most notable of these that I've found are the Sandals of the Light step= +10ft to base land speed adding free movement in difficult terrain (conditional) and a pass without a trace effect. Not bad for the price of 9,000, but I'm guessing you're looking for cheaper items, like Boots of Striding and Springing...base land speed +1 plus jumping bonuses...for 5,500 (yes, almost the same item as above with less situational usefulness).

Obviously not cheap for say a 2nd level character, but boots are the sort of thing that can make itself into loot or be bought with loot on a lucky take.

If you want to/can do psionics (or have a creature that can do psionic based psi-like abilities there's the Speed of Thought feat- check the Expanded Psionics Handbook for options there, including Xeph's boost (and Xeph Celerity which is nothing to sneeze at either, almost made me take the race).