PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Sorcerer Help? [Pathfinder]

Ravens_cry
2010-12-10, 03:37 PM
My most recent character died. My own fault, but I got reincarnated as a Troglodyte. And no one wants that around.
So, let's go and make someone who is so likeable, so gosh darn likeable, others, really, really, want to be there friend. In short, I want to make a sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells. Yes, I know it's sub-optimal. But we're not exactly high cheese. Blaster
I was thinking the undead bloodline because one of the big foes we fought was an a Lich CYCLOPS, and our characters didn't realize he was a Lich until quite a bit later and we didn't find his phylactery.
We're level 9, verging on level 10, and what I really need help with is spells, but feats and items would also be helpful, as well as ability scores, I've never played a Sorcerer before in high level play.

25 point buy, Pathfinder style. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores)

Books? Anything Pathfinder made by Piazo, no third party or homebrew.
Hopefully in their SRD.

I know humans get a super special awesome racial thing for spells known, but I want to play a halfling pretending to be convinced they are a human child. The basic back story is they were raised from the dead by an experimental spell and came back a bit . . . wrong. It also wiped out much of their memory, so the childishness is not just acting.
Anyway, thanks in advance, you're a good bunch Playgrounders.

veven
2010-12-10, 05:11 PM
This is probably not very helpful but have you thought about playing a beguiler?
It's very similar to a sorcerer in that they are spontaneous charisma based casters. They focus on enchantment and illusion, get quite a few cool class abilities (a sneak-attack like ability that increases save DC's) and a couple bonus feats too. They have just as many spells per day and many more spells known (although only from enchantment and illusion schools, maybe with a few other utility spells from other schools). My favorite part about the beguiler is it's 6 skill points per level and one of the best skill lists in the game.

It's in PHB II, you should check it out! If you don't have that you can also find it here; http://crystalkeep.com/d20/

Ravens_cry
2010-12-10, 05:28 PM
Pathfinder only, I am afraid. Otherwise I probably would.
Thanks though.:smallsmile:

Tael
2010-12-10, 05:34 PM
Go Fey bloodline 100%. +2 to compulsion DCs is really nice, and they get pretty good spells and powers too. Infernal is pretty good too, but compulsion is way better than charm.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 05:38 PM
My most recent character died. My own fault, but I got reincarnated as a Troglodyte. And no one wants that around.
So, let's go and make someone who is so likeable, so gosh darn likeable, others, really, really, want to be there friend. (...)
I know humans get a super special awesome racial thing for spells known, but I want to play a halfling pretending to be convinced they are a human child. The basic back story is they were raised from the dead by an experimental spell and came back a bit . . . wrong. It also wiped out much of their memory, so the childishness is not just acting.
OK, let me get this straight. Your party ditched a lizardman. You think they will like an undead child?! This does not seem likeable at all, dude.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-10, 05:47 PM
OK, let me get this straight. Your party ditched a lizardman. You think they will like an undead child?! This does not seem likeable at all, dude.
The bloodline doesn't make you undead til 20th level. I just got a few cute stiches, like a female Igor or Franken Fran.

Go Fey bloodline 100%. +2 to compulsion DCs is really nice, and they get pretty good spells and powers too. Infernal is pretty good too, but compulsion is way better than charm.
Fey would work, but the bloodline Arcana for undead makes it so corporale Undead that were humanoid still count as humanoid for what spells affect them.
Another 10 % chance is nice, but being able to affect some undead at ALL is also nice.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 05:57 PM
The bloodline doesn't make you undead til 20th level.
Oh, I just mentioned it because you actually say he died in the OP. Still creepy, though.

Tael
2010-12-10, 05:57 PM
The bloodline doesn't make you undead til 20th level. I just got a few cute stiches, like a female Igor or Franken Fran.
Fey would work, but the bloodline Arcana for undead makes it so corporale Undead that were humanoid still count as humanoid for what spells affect them.
Another 10 % chance is nice, but being able to affect some undead at ALL is also nice.

Eh, you should only have 1 enchantment spell at each level anyway, any lots of stuff are still immune to Mind effecting. You're much better off using a MM'd Scorching ray or BF Control spell for those things, and getting off your spells 100% of the time IMO.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-10, 06:02 PM
Oh, I just mentioned it because you actually say he died in the OP. Still creepy, though.
They did, but the spell that resurrected them is slowly turning them undead.
Creepy? Hell yeah.

Eh, you should only have 1 enchantment spell at each level anyway, any lots of stuff are still immune to Mind effecting. You're much better off using a MM'd Scorching ray or BF Control spell for those things, and getting off your spells 100% of the time IMO.
We already have a Master Blaster, and I (as in me personally) don't have the brains to really do Battlefield Control well.
Still, what do you suggest?

Ravens_cry
2010-12-11, 10:37 AM
Oh, I hate to do this but . . .
*Bump*
Now may the gods have mercy on my soul but I really need help with this.
Like I said, I've never played a Sorcerer past level . . .level 1 actually.

Last Laugh
2010-12-11, 11:19 AM
*learns how to pathfinder ptbuy*
Wow, I always assumed halflings were taller than 3 feet...
It doesn't seem that there are any PrCs suited to this, so Sorcerer 9 is the way to go!

level 1 stats:
Str: 8-2=6(wantsabeachild, ya?) Dex: 12+2=14 Con:15 Cha:17+2=19 Int: 14 Wis: 10
25 +2 (str) -13(cha) -7 (con) -5 (int) -0 (wis) -2 (dex)=0
str 6, dex 14, con 15, cha 19, int 14, wis 10 are the stats I would pick, I love skills! at level 4 boost con, at level 8 boost cha (swap if you like) If you feel that this doesn't fit your character (you may want a lower wisdom to emulate the wants to be a kid thing!) feel free to swap them around!

I cannot comment on bloodlines.

4 feats to work with, Eschew Materials is a freebie ^^
Extend spell for an enchanter, double duration can be very nice! at level 9 extended spells become all day buffs!
Heighten Spell!!! (as a sorcerer relying on saves, this can save you a spell known or 2! heightening a lowlevel spell instead of using a high-level version is cool for sorcs)
Selective spell looks nice too, depends on how much AoE you plan on tossing around.
Sickening spell imposes a -2 saves penalty if you can find a save:no spell. could help you land enchantments!
Improved Initiative, Obtain Familiar (if you can get it ok'd), Childlike (c'mon, you know you want to!)
I feel bad that I can't contribute more :(

Golden-Esque
2010-12-11, 11:28 AM

I play a 13th Level Sorcerer in Pathfinder currently. Let me first say that it's an awesome class (I use the Arcane Bloodline; Metamagic Adept is such a powerful ability, it's insane). Second, I've been reading your posts up until this point, and it sounds to me like you're stuck between wanting to command undead and wanting to charm and enchant people. In my opinion, you want to decide which of those two is more important to you.

Your undead background is nice, but being of fey blood would make much more sense in terms of you enchanting everything and being flippin' adorable. I think you'd have a lot more fun roleplaying a charmer of fey blood then a charmer of undead blood, especially since you'd get many of your most potent enchantment spells as bonus spells as you level, allowing you to use your precious spells known on spells belonging to other schools.

In Pathfinder, as well as in 3.5, it is extremely important for a Sorcerer to pick a diverse selection of spells. For example, my Sorcerer specializes in rays and other touch attack spells, but he also carries several handy buffing spells, a debuff or two, and plenty of utility spells (I love Iron Wall after playing a high level Sorcerer!) As you might of guessed, you need a good bag of tricks because unlike a Wizard, you're not going to have an answer to every solution, so you want to make sure you have as many answers to as many solutions as possible.

Finally, my Sorcerer is 15 years old. I have a blast with it because he's young enough to be impulsive and reckless but he's old enough to participate in group discussions. An 8 year old is extremely hard to roleplay correctly, and you'd need a decent Wisdom and Intelligence score to justify you being as level-headed (abet sillier) as an adult creature. You might want to think about someone a little older; maybe 12 or 13, which is still technically under the adulthood line for humans.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-11, 12:09 PM
OK, thank you. I'll go fey bloodline halfling. Cute little becoming undead child like being, not today. Besides, fey bloodline DOES fit the story the DM is making. Thanks.