PDA

View Full Version : Proud!

Syka
2010-12-10, 07:00 PM
I've been celebrating the end of my toughest semester to date today. I submitted my last two papers (a term paper plus final case study) the the only class I didn't have my grade for yet yesterday. I got an email today and found out I got an A, meaning I preserved my 4.0 despite a hellish semester.

So...I've been so tempted. I'm currently on a 'diet'. Not strict or anything, but I'm periodically eliminating certain food items from my diet. Soda's left about a month or so ago along with sugary drinks. Chips were the next thing to go, and I'm trying to lower the amount of sugar stuff I eat (cookies, etc) and processed foods. I always used to reward myself with food, but I know if I gave in and drank a soda or something, it'd be backsliding a lot. Seeing as I've already pretty steadily kept off about 3-4 pounds since I began, it's going pretty well and I don't want to ruin it. Given that my willpower is strong with everything except food, that is a huge step.

So today I rewarded myself not with junk food, but with water! SmartWater to be exact. It's pretty expensive, but I love it. I just never get it. It was on sale at the grocery store, so I'm using that as my treat. :smallbiggrin:

Willpower: 1; Junk food: 0

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-12-10, 07:04 PM
You are a stronger person than I am, Syka.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-10, 07:16 PM
*snuggles* Grats! Willpower victories are the best! ^_^

druid91
2010-12-10, 07:18 PM
You sad, healthier, stronger, and likely more energetic than me person, who won't die of a heart attack at 50. Giving up junk food. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Look into, I think they are called magic pops here, but they look and taste like giant special K flakes. They are decidedly Un-junky but still snacky.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-10, 07:32 PM
awesomeness!

Syka
2010-12-10, 07:43 PM
druid, those look yummy. I love Special K.

You guys have no idea, either. I love Doritos and they were BOGO...then we had to walk through the bakery (Publix has THE most amazing cupcakes in the world). :smalleek: Wanted to die.

And shh...don't tell, but I did have some cookies with Oz today. Had to combat the spicy/salty taste leftover from the decidedly healthy blackened chicken we had for lunch. I'm not great, but I'm getting better. :)

Eldonauran
2010-12-10, 08:28 PM
I know exactly what you are going through Syka.

:smalleek: I gave up fast food 3 months ago. And I used to eat it 1-2 times a day. It was not healthy :smallannoyed:

I have more money now :smallamused:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-14, 09:25 AM
You are a stronger person than I am, Syka.

I concur. I probably couldn't even start that diet, let alone keep at it.

I can't help it if pop is delicious.

Keld Denar
2010-12-14, 10:17 AM
I quit the soda about 5 years ago now. It was a good decision. I actually tried to drink a pepsi about 2 months ago, and my stomach felt instantly sick. I dumped it out and had tap water instead. I hope you get to this point, because it makes it so much easier to resist when something you used to love now tastes disgusting.

Now, my vice is beer. I don't drink light beer, either. Full body micro-brews only if I'm buying. Tons of carbs and calories there...

valadil
2010-12-14, 10:43 AM
Now, my vice is beer. I don't drink light beer, either. Full body micro-brews only if I'm buying. Tons of carbs and calories there...

Yup. Beer is pretty much the only source of calories I drink. I find it easier to limit myself if I'm having good beer though. One bottle of Trois Pistoles is enough for me. Anything below Sam Adams requires multiple bottles.

thorgrim29
2010-12-14, 10:54 AM
You get Unibrou in Massachusetts? I didn't know that. But, yeah, for me too it's mostly beer, also cocktails, chocolate, cookies, and lines of shot glasses. I don't drink often, but when I do I tend to drink a lot.

So yeah, go Syka, you are a stronger willed person then me.

valadil
2010-12-14, 11:06 AM
You get Unibrou in Massachusetts? I didn't know that. But, yeah, for me too it's mostly beer, also cocktails, chocolate, cookies, and lines of shot glasses. I don't drink often, but when I do I tend to drink a lot.

I've only found it in one store but it's fantastic. I'm still struggling with the pronunciation though.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-14, 11:17 AM
Well congratulations on all that.

My 3.99 cowers before the glory of your 4.0.

thorgrim29
2010-12-14, 12:25 PM
I've only found it in one store but it's fantastic. I'm still struggling with the pronunciation though.

It's pronounced U-ni-brew. And yeah, it's pretty good but it's not the best microbrew in Quebec by a long shot (it's not even a true microbrew anymore, they got bought by I think Sleeman). IMO that's Dieu du Ciel!, but you can barely get their products in most towns here, so I don't think you can in Mass.

druid91
2010-12-14, 12:37 PM
druid, those look yummy. I love Special K.

My mom loves "Organic" stuff. Anything green.

This is partially because she is allergic to Everything.

Lillith
2010-12-14, 01:10 PM
Wow Syka good job! You have every right to be proud of yourself! You might like this fun fact though (or it least it works with me and some people I know): keeping away from the sugary foods keeps getting easier as time goes by. I managed to drop 10-11kg a while ago by pretty much doing the same as you're doing now. The beginning was really hard and I was craving all sorts of stuff but after a month of two that went away. I guess I was detoxing or something. However I read this is a normal procedure for people who stop their intake of sugar. So keep it up! It will only get easier!

Eldonauran
2010-12-14, 04:25 PM
Wow Syka good job! You have every right to be proud of yourself! You might like this fun fact though (or it least it works with me and some people I know): keeping away from the sugary foods keeps getting easier as time goes by. I managed to drop 10-11kg a while ago by pretty much doing the same as you're doing now. The beginning was really hard and I was craving all sorts of stuff but after a month of two that went away. I guess I was detoxing or something. However I read this is a normal procedure for people who stop their intake of sugar. So keep it up! It will only get easier!

I can second this. :smallsmile:

cho_j
2010-12-14, 04:48 PM
Congratulations Syka! You are extremely strong and SHOULD be proud!

Man, I remember giving up soda... at first it was a strain (especially since a lot of parties and even my college dining hall don't offer anything except soda and equally sweet non-carbonated drinks). But then you start feeling fantastic! I'm glad the good stuff has started for you! :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-12-14, 05:01 PM
I used to subconsiously chug Mt. Dew while playing video games. It wasn't so much what I was drinking, just that I was drinking. I simply started keeping huge glasses of ice water next to my desk, and I'd subconsiously sip on those. That way, I'm only destroying my body through inactivity, rather than inactivity + excessive sugar intake.

Kastanok
2010-12-17, 09:49 AM
I used to subconsiously chug Mt. Dew while playing video games. It wasn't so much what I was drinking, just that I was drinking. I simply started keeping huge glasses of ice water next to my desk, and I'd subconsiously sip on those. That way, I'm only destroying my body through inactivity, rather than inactivity + excessive sugar intake.

This. Manipulating one's bad habits into being neutral habits is a great way to improve yourself. A while back I found myself snacking far too often and started picking up bags of carrots or apples instead of tablets of chocolate. Allowed me to eat MORE while gaining LESS weight. And improved my teeth too. Although the Bugs Bunny jokes did get tired after a while.

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-17, 09:59 AM
Lots to be proud of! Losing weight is a difficult task, but well worth it! And congrats finishing your semester with a positive note!:smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 11:26 AM
This. Manipulating one's bad habits into being neutral habits is a great way to improve yourself. A while back I found myself snacking far too often and started picking up bags of carrots or apples instead of tablets of chocolate. Allowed me to eat MORE while gaining LESS weight. And improved my teeth too. Although the Bugs Bunny jokes did get tired after a while.

Dude, I totally know. I go through a 5 lb bag of baby cut carrots in a week. I'll just sit at my computer and munch for an hour before I realize that I've eaten 1/4 of the bag. If that was a bag of some candy, I'd be like, 500 lbs by now.

Eldonauran
2010-12-17, 01:39 PM
Dude, I totally know. I go through a 5 lb bag of baby cut carrots in a week. I'll just sit at my computer and munch for an hour before I realize that I've eaten 1/4 of the bag. If that was a bag of some candy, I'd be like, 500 lbs by now.

Don;t forget your ranch for dipping those carrots. Mmmhmmm :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 01:56 PM
Don;t forget your lite ranch for dipping those carrots. Mmmhmmm :smallwink:

FTFY. Gotta look out for my girlish figure, you know!

Eldonauran
2010-12-17, 03:54 PM
FTFY. Gotta look out for my girlish figure, you know!

Lite ranch!? Blech. :smallbiggrin:

Just go and mix some water or something in to make it lite that way you don't ruin the taste. :smallamused:

grimbold
2010-12-18, 05:28 AM
impressive
congratulations