PDA

View Full Version : Anything You Watched/Read/Listened To that Made You Cry?

John Cribati
2010-12-10, 11:02 PM
I don't think I've seen this thread before. Have you ever watched something that, for whatever reason, reminded you that no matter how much you've tried to make yourself believe otherwise, that your heart was not made of stone? What about it made you weep those tears of humanity?

Well, just today, I was (spoilered for length)
binging on Seto No Hanayome, in which the Obligatory Average Anime Guy (henceforth OAAG) is saved by a mermaid named Sun, and for plot reasons has to marry into the Mermaid Mafia. And no, I couldn't make that up if I tried.

Anyway, there's this one character, Kai, who's afraid of the sun (lost in a desert when he was young) and wears a space helmet whenever he goes outside. He's also one of those "filthy rich but has no friends" types. He's in love with Sun, too.

Anyway, through a series of errors, both Kai and his friends are under the impression that he's going to die (long story). So he challenges OAAG to a final duel, seeing as they're rivals and all, and removes his helmet for the occasion. OOAG, having spent 24 being attacked by various Mermaid Mobsters, has no trouble avoiding his attacks, and then, out of nowhere, Kai just breaks the f*** down, throws his sword away, and starts pummeling at OAAG ineffectively, while whining about how he's had all the money, but OOAG has everything he's never had, and he wants someone to love him.

I really don't know what made me go off, but it had something to do with the fact that this is a friggin' comedy series and the characters are so fleshed out that I feel for them.

Anyway, what's made you shed the wet ones recently?

Benson
2010-12-11, 01:53 AM
Not recently, but whenever I watch the "Vampire Twins" arc in the Black Lagoon anime, I always find myself getting choked up about their fate. :smallfrown:

Zevox
2010-12-11, 03:06 AM
Recently? Nothing. But these do come up rarely enough for me that I actually have a mental tally of them going.

Two are from Avatar: The Last Airbender. The first is the ending to the Tale of Iroh, from season 2's episode that had a bunch of shorts about individual characters. It's a low-key, simple scene, and that is part of what makes it extremely powerful, combined with all we know of Iroh and his past at that point, plus the previous events of that short. I cannot watch it without my eyes watering, even now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFASos1G-5U). That it's dedicated to the memory of his voice actor, who died after completing that season of the show, is very fitting and makes it even more powerful.

The other Avatar one is the reunion of Zuko and Iroh from the season 3 finale. Those episodes didn't do a whole hell of a lot right, but damn was that scene one of the things they did.

There were a few in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. I'll remain vague there - fans will know what I'm talking about, and people who haven't played it I don't want to spoil it for. Shinjiro, Junpei/Chidori, Chidori's notebook, and Chidori's return.

Only one in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, but it was a doozy. Once again, being vague since fans will understand anyway: Nanako. Just... Nanako.

Also, the ending to Toy Story 3.

I think there was another, but it's not coming to mind just now. I'll get back to you if I recall it.

Zevox

Fri
2010-12-11, 03:20 AM
I rarely cry, but the movie Big Fish does that to me. I really love my father, and just remembering that movie's ending already wells my eyes.

EvilSun
2010-12-11, 06:09 AM
Germanys Next Top Model, the US equivalent to it (dont remember the titel, but an awfully thin girl won it), and the stupid TV casting shows. Honestly, embarassing how stupid some people are.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-11, 08:22 PM
The single piece of fiction that always makes me cry is a short story that I believe is called "A Bear at the Gate." It's about a teddy bear named Henry whose love for his owner saves his owner's life from a deadly illness and causes Henry to gain a soul of his own, so when Henry "dies" because his owner's grandson tore him apart, Henry is reunited with the owner he loves in Heaven.

While I know this might be skirting the bounds of forum policies, I think the story is one of the most touching and innocent displays of the power of love I've ever encountered, and simply describing it is enough to make me cry. It's happening right now!

I think my memories of this story caused me to cry at the end of Toy Story 3 as well.

Marillion
2010-12-11, 11:37 PM
Gav and Bob (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Gav_and_Bob) :smallfrown:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-11, 11:43 PM
Toy Story 3 brought me close to tears. I don't think I've ever actually cried at a movie.
Oh, the end of the 5th Harry Potter book almost made me cry too. I don't remember if I actually cried or not.

Trog
2010-12-12, 12:13 AM
Braveheart
Schindler's List

EDIT: The end of Scrooge, the musical (1970)

ExtravagantEvil
2010-12-12, 01:26 AM
I nearly cried at the end of Toy story 3, so poignant.
But recently, The Long and Winding Road by the Beatles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9Vt1xQ5Kw) made me cry, as I listened too it Friday Morning on the school bus

Jimorian
2010-12-12, 03:21 AM
The Christmas Special of the British version of The Office.

ThePhantasm
2010-12-12, 08:49 AM
The Conan the Barbarian soundtrack by Basil Poledouris.

raitalin
2010-12-12, 10:33 AM
Recently, the end of the Sun and Jin storyline from Lost.

littlekKID
2010-12-12, 10:37 AM
Toy Story 3...just Toy Story 3 (and maybe "The Pinky and The Brain Christmas")

Terraoblivion
2010-12-12, 11:05 AM
There are a few things that have made me cry over fiction relatively recently. I can't remember all of them, but there are some i can.

The big one for me, the one that gets me teary-eyed just thinking about it is from Valkyria Chronicles, the game not the anime. I'll not spoil it in detail, but all i can say is this. The end of the Marberry Shore chapter. Every time i hear the song that plays at that time i grow all teary eyed.

Chapter nine of Sasameki Koto also has this effect on me, when Aoi realizes how she has been lying to herself and deluding herself about Sumika's feelings. Aoi might just be a minor character, but damn that scene is just so sad and something that is eerily familiar to me.

I also have to agree with Zevox that Persona 3 has many sad moments, though i believe that Chidori's return is the only one of them that actually made me cry.

I know there is more that has done it in the past, but i can't remember exactly what said more is, so i can't name it here for obvious reasons.

endoperez
2010-12-12, 11:21 AM
My first friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etw3aSumBEU), It's about a dog, and sung to the unbearably happy tune from Doctor Mario video game.

Father and Daughter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfOFVMth5Q), directed by Michaël Dudok De Wit.

Thought of you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBk3ynRbtsw) by Ryan Woodward. While it didn't bring me to tears, it's very emotional.

WalkingTarget
2010-12-12, 06:17 PM
Few things have this effect on me. Especially with any sort of regularity upon repeat viewings/readings/etc.

One prominent example, however, is a 198 year old song that's sung in a language of which I know few words.

It sings of the universal brotherhood of all mankind; a song sung to Joy itself. I don't know the words, but that doesn't matter.

I feel it.
Every.
Single.
Time.

It is, of course, Beethoven's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv8GQIGpons) Ninth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OxuRYTaPys&feature=related) Symphony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb17F8yJEzQ&feature=related).

I prefer to listen to it in its entirety when time permits, but the 4th movement (after the vocalists come in, in particular) is what chokes me up, and is what I've linked.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-12-12, 06:39 PM
Grave of the Fireflies (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GraveOfTheFireflies)

That is all. (Honorable Mention to Fry's Dog)

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-12, 06:42 PM
Spoilered for the utter shame of it:
Pokemon, when Ash releases Butterfree. Saw it for the first time when I was 9-10, and goddamnit if it doesn't make me well up every time.

Calmness
2010-12-12, 07:19 PM
I'm somewhat ashamed of it, but I found the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uU7-X0iHes) of Fry's dog from Futurama so very very sad.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-12, 07:23 PM
Two songs. All My Friends, by LCD Soundsystem, and Heaven, by Talking Heads. The weird thing is Heaven isn't a sad song by any stretch of the imagination.

Obrysii
2010-12-12, 07:25 PM
Two songs. All My Friends, by LCD Soundsystem, and Heaven, by Talking Heads. The weird thing is Heaven isn't a sad song by any stretch of the imagination.

Smile Upon Me by Passion Pit makes me feel sad.

The first episode of Hell Girl made me really sad, too, because
The girl - I don't know her name, she was very shy and sad - was being bullied so badly in every way possible (name-calling, blackmail, physical abuse) that she wanted to die.

That just bothers me.

Sneak
2010-12-12, 07:40 PM
Grave of the Fireflies (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GraveOfTheFireflies)

This.

Oh god, this.

Ragitsu
2010-12-12, 07:42 PM
Lots of guys admitting they cry. I am impressed.

Anyhow, the Trench Run of Star Wars tends to get me teary eyed EVERY TIME I watch it. It's like I have some sort of ingrained emotional response.

cho_j
2010-12-12, 09:45 PM
Oof, I am somewhat infamous as a fiction-induced crybaby. I teared up at dinner a few weeks back just trying to explain the plot of a book.

Actually, one of the things that consistently makes me cry, hard, comes from OotS— Roy's reunion with his baby brother up in Celestia. Every single time I reread, or think about it too hard, the tears come. There are a number of other moments in the comic that do it for me, too, but that's by far the most powerful (though runner up is Therkla's headstone/Elan's eulogy).

As for music, I get teary when I listen too hard to Hallelujah (especially the Rufus Wainwright version), but that might be because it fits one of my characters with a very tragic romance arc too well to be ignored. And Homecoming / The Death Of St. Jimmy / East 12th St. / Nobody Likes You / Rock And Roll Girlfriend / We're Coming Home Again from American Idiot by Green Day does it as well.

Books that never fail to get me comprise far too long a list to make here, but Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson gets serious mention, as do at least moment per Pagan Chronicles book (Catharine Jinks, if you want the author).

And as for watching, I actually cry at the emotional moments in sit coms, so you can imagine how long a list that would be!

Zevox
2010-12-13, 12:01 AM
Actually, one of the things that consistently makes me cry, hard, comes from OotS— Roy's reunion with his baby brother up in Celestia. Every single time I reread, or think about it too hard, the tears come. There are a number of other moments in the comic that do it for me, too, but that's by far the most powerful (though runner up is Therkla's headstone/Elan's eulogy).
Yeah, I've seen others say that on the forums here too, but I just don't get it. Considering how little we knew about his brother before that I just can't see how it could affect someone that much. It was a cute moment, but not one I could ever see causing me to so much as have my eyes water.

Zevox

Juhn
2010-12-13, 12:10 AM
I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus advocating Toy Story 3. Too much of my childhood was invested in that series of films for it not to happen.

I actually broke down over something else earlier today (while making somebody else [who didn't know I was breaking down] break down over the same thing!), but without context it's not particularly sad and it'd take too long to explain, so I won't bother.

Also seconding My First Friend. Damn you, Hyadain! :smallfrown:

Tengu_temp
2010-12-13, 06:54 AM
Honestly? I haven't cried over fiction since I was a kid. I am very easy to move by well-written dramatic events and music, but those emotions mostly stay on the inside.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-13, 07:13 AM
Well, the second time I saw Titanic in theatres, whew, over a decade ago now, the Old Couple in bed together with the water rushing in made me cry. Quite a bit in fact. I wasn't bawling or anything, but tears were very actively flowing down my face. Another time was Full Metal Alchemist, two boys realized why there mother didn't follow them out of the burning house. Only a single tear, but my eyes were red. Next? Three words: The Inner Light. The most recent time was watching the The Inner Light Orchestral Suite, it was that moving.

Nageto004
2010-12-13, 07:21 AM
Toy Story 3 brought me close to tears. I don't think I've ever actually cried at a movie.

I had to try and hold back sooo much during that movie, because i was w/ my cousin.

Cyrion
2010-12-13, 10:50 AM
The end of Man of La Mancha does it to me every time, and the New Christie Minstrels version of John Henry gets me frequently.

Juhn
2010-12-13, 03:39 PM
Somebody brought up Grave of the Fireflies, so I'm gonna have to contribute Schindler's List.

cho_j
2010-12-13, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I've seen others say that on the forums here too, but I just don't get it. Considering how little we knew about his brother before that I just can't see how it could affect someone that much. It was a cute moment, but not one I could ever see causing me to so much as have my eyes water.

Zevox

Ah, see, for me I got enough from Roy's short speech to realize how very deeply Roy cared for his brother, and that made it work that we'd never heard about him before (Roy probably doesn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it). Also, the line "it probably didn't occur to you to come when we called" was pretty much what did it for me. That has two reasons: 1) Roy was still convinced at that point that he was going to be Rez'd in a second, so it made it very clear that sometimes, even when nobody, including the deceased, gets something out of a death, it can't be undone. That's what keeps hitting me in the face every time people talk about the grandmother I lost when I was too young to have really gotten to know her. Reason 2) is that as a little kid, I was quite fearless and would run all over the place, and my parents actually used one of those cruelty-free kid leashes (mine was rainbow!) when we went to Disneyland so they wouldn't lose me in just the way Eric was lost (it was so nice, and he didn't realize they couldn't get him back unless he came).

I guess for me it's a very personal moment in the comic. I didn't realize that until I typed it up. But I think there's something that people with less specific experiences are upset by, and that's just the whole "irreversible death of a child" thing. Some people (myself included) are just saddened every time a child dies, no matter whether we knew them or not.

Ragitsu
2010-12-13, 04:42 PM
I had to try and hold back sooo much during that movie, because i was w/ my cousin.

Why is that?

TruorTupnm
2010-12-13, 04:56 PM
I popped in to type that the only movie that ever made me cry was The Land Before Time, when Littlefoot's mother died, but dang, you people reminded me of a lot of times when I came really close. As a small child, I was quite a crybaby and made fun of it, all the time, so I eventually decided that I just wouldn't do that anymore, and The Land Before Time was the last thing that I remember actually making me cry. Of course, plenty of things make me think about it, but I am no crybaby! *sniffs*

Also, I almost watched Grave Of The Fireflies, but I was warned against it, and it was snowing outside, anyways, so I went outside, instead, and haven't thought about finding the movie to see how sad it is. Haven't seen Toy Story 3, either, and am in less of a rush to.

Towards Avatar The Last Airbender, though, sure, The Tale Of Iroh almost gets to me, but the bit where Avatar Yangchen lays down the law for Aang is bigger. Mostly because his dilemma at the time is the only thing that looks likely to really mess him up, and it's coming from another Air Nomad. oh well.

Ah, and towards Order Of The Stick, yes, Roy's reunion with his brother is a good one, too. Mostly because Roy is my favorite character.

Xefas
2010-12-13, 05:18 PM
I'll echo Toy Story 3. I watched it a few days ago and it was so sad. I did not actually break into tears, but I think it deserves special mention for having me choked up for multiple hours straight.

The first is the ending to the Tale of Iroh, from season 2's episode that had a bunch of shorts about individual characters. It's a low-key, simple scene, and that is part of what makes it extremely powerful, combined with all we know of Iroh and his past at that point, plus the previous events of that short.

This, however. God. I wept at this scene harder than probably any other time in my life. I don't cry very often, but...god.

I think the only thing that has come close is Bokurano. I don't want to spoil anything because it's an amazing show, but it's just 1 episode of "Wow, this is kinda 'meh'...wait, wtf?" and then 23 episodes of unrelenting sadness.

Raz_Fox
2010-12-13, 05:21 PM
You know, I've actually been more prone to this as I've gotten older. Young!Raz kept some emotional detachment, but the last three movies I went to go see in theaters all made me cry.

In my defense, everyone else cried at Up and Toy Story 3. I'm afraid that someone might revoke my man license if I admit that Tangled made me cry, though. Darn paper lanterns, why did you have to bring back childhood memories? ;_;

Also, Justice League. For The Man That Has Everything. "Get 'im, Dad, get 'im!" Never fails to produce tears.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Later, Buddy. Just... damn. Viral's dream in the penultimate episode, too.

Calmness
2010-12-13, 06:11 PM
In my defense, everyone else cried at Up and Toy Story 3.
Dear god, the beginning of Up was so freaking depressing. Not gonna spoil it but it made me feel as if I were watching one of those endings in medical shows where the patient is going to die, and there is nothing anybody can do about it. I thought it was a children's movie!

Cristo Meyers
2010-12-13, 06:34 PM
There's only one movie I can think of that hits me every time I've watched it: Jacob's Ladder (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/).

This one takes some explaining for anyone that hasn't watched it (needless to say, this is the spoiler for Jacob's Ladder):

At the very end, Jacob goes back to his old home that he used to share with his wife and late son. The house is empty except for his son, who is sitting on the stairs. It's when everything comes together and you realize what's really going on, that Jacob is in Purgatory/dying/Limbo, and that his journey is finally over. They climb the stairs to Heaven together.

Marillion
2010-12-13, 10:03 PM
Comic 464 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html), for the last few panels.

"Perhaps, if you had more time...But then again, perhaps not. Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone."
"Will...Will I get to see Windstriker again?"
"Of course. He has been waiting for you. He will visit you as much as he is able."
"Ok...Ok, then. I can live with that."

:smallfrown:

littlebottom
2010-12-13, 10:22 PM
ive seen/watched most (read some) of the things mentioned so far, and they are all very sad. but i dont often cry, not trying to be manly or anything, but i often feel really sad, and my eyes fill up with water but i dont actually cry if that makes sense. so if those times count too, then yeah, frys dog. (among others)

but the one i couldnt control (twice) was from Full Metal Alchemist (an anime)

i advise you only read on if A: youve already seen it, or B: you are not likely to ever watch it. for the sake of spoilers.

Hughes funeral.:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:both in the original and brotherhood (and it didnt make me cry uncontrollbly when i read it in the manga, but it did the same as frys dog, made me well up quite bad)

i think i want to justify it though, because some people have said to me that its not all that sad. but having watched the original anime first, there was a lot of hughes being painted in the light of just this amazingly friendly, amazingly loyal, caring, considerate, funny and naturally likeable guy, that when he died, i just didnt know what to do, and then the funeral just sent me down. same happened again in brotherhood, because he became my favorite character really quickly in FMA... and to see him burried twice was too much, and also, both funerals were done really well.

Juhn
2010-12-13, 10:31 PM
I think the only thing that has come close is Bokurano. I don't want to spoil anything because it's an amazing show, but it's just 1 episode of "Wow, this is kinda 'meh'...wait, wtf?" and then 23 episodes of unrelenting sadness.
All I know about this show is A) It has a freaking amazing opening song and B) It is apparently unbelievably bleak.

Zeofar
2010-12-13, 10:33 PM
Recently, no, not lately. Past events, off the top of my head?

Fullmetal Alchemist: I'm not sure if any of the Brothers' allies getting killed ever got to me that much, but that Chimera episode was downright evil. I cried before she died, even.

Grave of the Fireflies: Need I say more?

The Yearling and Where the Red Fern Grows: I don't know why, but these types of books get to me.

Probably Pokemon at some point, but I don't recall.

Other than that, I'm sure there have been other works that have made me cry, but I don't recall them. In fact, I mostly remember these because I never would have suspected that they would be tearjerkers for whatever reason and all just slightly embarassing.

John Cribati
2010-12-14, 11:38 AM
My first friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etw3aSumBEU)

Congratulations. Now I'll have to play Dr. Mario with the "Chill" music for the rest of my life.

darbythegambler
2010-12-14, 11:26 PM
Pokemon the First Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXzjK4gV6Y)

Just posting that scene is enough to push me to my absolute limit...

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-14, 11:32 PM
When I read Kira Kira. Haven't come over it to finish it completely even though its one and a half month since.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 05:31 AM
Recently, no, not lately. Past events, off the top of my head?

Fullmetal Alchemist: I'm not sure if any of the Brothers' allies getting killed ever got to me that much, but that Chimera episode was downright evil. I cried before she died, even.

I didn't cry at that part, though almost, so almost, but that episode was downright chilling. I will never forget the voice of the dog girl chimera, the haunted eyes, the remains.
I just remembered another movie I cried at. Battle of Briton, when the German bomber pilots without escorts were getting shot up by Spitfires. Poor bastards.

Abies
2010-12-15, 09:47 AM
3-4 things get me every time, and so I try to avoid them unless I'm in a relaxed, passive situation where I have nothing to do for awhile.

1) Star Trek DS9 - The Visitor. My throat closes up when future Jake says the worst thing that can happen to a young man is lose his father. From there on out its a battle to hold back the tears, one that is inevitably lost when Sisko shows up in Jake's house on Earth.

2) Byffy the Vampire Slayer - The Body. See a patteen here yet?

The last 2 are kind of corny but hey, question asked question answered.

3) I'm Already There by Lonestar. At a family reunion awhile back one of my aunts did a slideshow set to this song where the whole thing was atribute to "those who had gone home..." A euphamism my extended family is fond of using for folks who've died. Unfortunately at the time my Dad was one of the few family members who had actually died, so about half the photos were of him. During that first showing my heart made the sound described by Indigo in the Princess Bride when Westley is being tortured (I could literally hear screams of pain/sorrow in my head, no I do not typically have psychotic episodes). Now If I hear 2-3 bars from that song I weep like a baby.

4) the real kicker: "At the Rainbow Bridge" Yes, I miss my kitty.

thompur
2010-12-15, 11:03 AM
3-4 things get me every time, and so I try to avoid them unless I'm in a relaxed, passive situation where I have nothing to do for awhile.

1) Star Trek DS9 - The Visitor. My throat closes up when future Jake says the worst thing that can happen to a young man is lose his father. From there on out its a battle to hold back the tears, one that is inevitably lost when Sisko shows up in Jake's house on Earth.

2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Body. See a patteen here yet?

The last 2 are kind of corny but hey, question asked question answered.

3) I'm Already There by Lonestar. At a family reunion awhile back one of my aunts did a slideshow set to this song where the whole thing was atribute to "those who had gone home..." A euphamism my extended family is fond of using for folks who've died. Unfortunately at the time my Dad was one of the few family members who had actually died, so about half the photos were of him. During that first showing my heart made the sound described by Indigo in the Princess Bride when Westley is being tortured (I could literally hear screams of pain/sorrow in my head, no I do not typically have psychotic episodes). Now If I hear 2-3 bars from that song I weep like a baby.

4) the real kicker: "At the Rainbow Bridge" Yes, I miss my kitty.

Also, Buffy, The Vampire Slayer - The Gift

Salbazier
2010-12-15, 12:21 PM
Clannad

I got teary eyed often that I lost count (and actually have hard time coming when asked what movie/book/stuff you like/really sad/ect) But Clannad,.. I'm pretty sure that's the first story that made me cried for real. I Plan to watch Air and Kanon (finally!) this vacation. Currently I'm playing narcissu side 2nd, while I'm not crying because of the first game it really leave a deep feeling. So, no doubt this will be another heartwrenching experience.

Oh, there's mention of FMA above. I do not (haven't) watch the anime nor do I cry reading the manga. But yes, I was sad reading Hughes's funeral (and angry!). Greed's end is quite moving as well (oh well the whole last chapter is epic in many ways)

NeonBlack
2010-12-15, 01:14 PM
When I read Kira Kira. Haven't come over it to finish it completely even though its one and a half month since.

I'd better stock up on tissues then. I plan to finally get serious with it this coming holidays (currently at the very start of Kirari's route).

For some reason I get teary-eyed very easily. My major weakness are Mood Whiplashes: majorly funny/uplifting series that suddenly throw a curve ball at you with one chapter or scene that brings you crashing down.

Some recent (as in, I saw them recently) stand-out moments that come to mind:

- TTGL, episode 8. You know what I'm talkin' about.
- Fate/Stay Night, Heaven's Feel route, Normal ending.
- K-On!!, S2, episode 20, final five minutes.
- Squid Girl, episode 5-3. Seriously.
- Up and Toy Story 3, of course.

Deth Muncher
2010-12-15, 01:39 PM
I absolutely don't know why, but there was an episode of Justice League on Cartoon Network a few years ago that made me cry at the end. It was the episode Solomon Grundy died. I don't know why, but when his gravestone came onscreen with the epitaph "Solomon Grundy - Died on a Monday" I got rather teary eyed.

The_Final_Stand
2010-12-15, 05:15 PM
Homeworld.
Mission 3.
The music alone is enough (adagio for strings), but look at what's just happened and you just break up.
Kharak is burning
:smallfrown:

Popertop
2010-12-15, 05:37 PM
Pokemon the First Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXzjK4gV6Y)

Just posting that scene is enough to push me to my absolute limit...

Every time for me too man...

Up got me pretty good,
but Toy Story 3 was incredible for me.

I was fine until the very end when Andy goes into his room right before he leaves for college. I saw it with my mom, I went off to college 4 years ago.

During that scene we were both bawling.

I cry alot when I watch stuff, and then during other stuff I'm oddly stoic.

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-15, 07:30 PM
I'd better stock up on tissues then. I plan to finally get serious with it this coming holidays (currently at the very start of Kirari's route).

It is well done though. Great VN in my opinion - hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Just keep something cheerful close by in case you need it.

Jyrnn
2010-12-18, 08:56 PM
The end of Guy Kay's Tigana gets me every time. Tremendously bittersweet and cathartic.

Marillion
2010-12-19, 12:15 AM
This scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cwe6QJdru8) from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. :smallfrown:

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-19, 12:38 AM
The end of Man of La Mancha does it to me every time, and the New Christie Minstrels version of John Henry gets me frequently.

This.

Too many to count for me really; I'm in the process of watching Rainbow (anime), and that tends to do it on a nearly episodic basis. I don't think anything's made me cry like Air though.

Fiery Diamond
2010-12-19, 12:46 AM
I have to agree on Hughes' funeral in FMA.

Also, the Tale of Iroh I agree.

There are a bunch, but I can only think of one right now off of the top of my head: in the book Among the Hidden, when the main character finds out about the death of the girl character. Makes me cry every time I read it.

Dogmantra
2010-12-19, 01:01 AM
I didn't find Grave of the Fireflies that sad. I didn't cry at all...
But

I Plan to watch Air
Oh man oh man I cried for twenty minutes straight during the last episode. Cried for about ten during episode... six I think it was? I can just watch the last episode in isolation and have a good cry.

The only other thing that's made me cry is the song One More Time by Mitch & Mickey.

FoE
2010-12-19, 01:26 AM
Oh, lots of things. It'd probably take me all day to list them.

But so I can post something that someone hasn't already said, I cried a bit during All-Star Superman when Jonathan Kent dies.

"Pa? Why can't I hear his heartbeat? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllStarSuperman)"

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-19, 07:26 PM
Where the Red Fern Grows

I'll second that. The first piece of fiction I ever cried at. ;_; When the first dog gets killed and then the other one dies of grief... *sniff* What's that mom? Oh, my allergies are just acting up.

Also, Dumbledore's death (I have the decency to spoiler it, even if the rest of the Internet doesn't) in Harry Potter. It was spoiled beforehand for me (in addition to Sirius and Fred's deaths. Damn you Internet, damn you to a thousand simultaneous hells) I got misty-eyed reading the book, but something about the way them movie portrayed it and the funeral... The floodgates just opened. I wept big, salty tears right there in the theater.

Snares
2010-12-19, 08:13 PM
It's pretty hard to get tears out of me these days, but I'll admit that Moya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRrGCVlMHk) made me break down crying in the middle of a District Line train. Give it a listen, and just wait for that climax... and then the sad strings at the end... god dammit. If I ever see that played live, I will well up.

Also, a really inexplicable one, but two or three years ago I was playing an old Pokémon game and, for some reason, ended up back in the starting town and just wandered around, talking to all the people from right at the beginning of the game and my character's mom and stuff. It just made me feel a really strange kind of homesickness and I actually had to shut the game off because it was making me cry. Looking back, it was really odd. :smallconfused: But it seemed like the saddest thing in the world at the time.

Deth Muncher
2010-12-19, 11:03 PM
I might be a sap, but as I remembered today, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann makes me cry. Movies and show, but more of the show, since the ending is so much more depressing in the show.

Barbarian MD
2010-12-21, 02:31 PM
I'm a ridiculous crier.

Top of the list are two scenes from Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I choke up EVERY. TIME.

When Eustace cannot free himself of the curse of being a dragon, no matter how hard he cuts away at his own skin, and Aslan comes and rips him open, painfully freeing him.

And the last chapter, when the kids show up and there is Aslan, in the form of a lamb, roasting fish. And Reepicheep gets the honor of sailing over the wave.

But lots of other stuff has hit me, too. The Crucible (movie version), for one, I bawled like a baby for a good minute or two at the end. Oh, and Life is Beautiful--that movie's ending is like a sucker punch. It'd be way to exhaustive to try to name all the others that have done that.

Form
2010-12-21, 02:42 PM
Well, I wouldn't say cry... but I find that scene near the end of Schindler's List very moving. It's that scene where Schindler breaks down in tears just before he leaves because he thinks he could have saved more people if only he had traded away his gold pin, his car or just hadn't wasted so much money.

Very touching scene. Very beautiful.

Salbazier
2010-12-21, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah, I should add this: Totto-Chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World

It's a nonfiction about an UNESCO goodwill ambassador' experience. Lately I got into habit of putting off reading things because I got distracted by a lot of other things (including laziness) but this book was a different case. I just cannot bear reading about all the sorrows of the children. :smallfrown: And I know I cannot find where I put the book.. or maybe I left it at my home.

Egiam
2010-12-24, 09:07 PM
Somewhat due to context/circumstance, the straws that broke the camel's back:

Abraham, Martin, John- Marvin Gaye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnaaz75M4g

Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6t4Zs5Yq_k

*Almost * Toy Story 3

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)

Band of Brothers

Tavar
2010-12-24, 10:20 PM
I absolutely don't know why, but there was an episode of Justice League on Cartoon Network a few years ago that made me cry at the end. It was the episode Solomon Grundy died. I don't know why, but when his gravestone came onscreen with the epitaph "Solomon Grundy - Died on a Monday" I got rather teary eyed.
That's The Terror Beyond. Really, Justice leauge/Unlimited both had plenty of emotional moments.
What I especially like is that in a later episode, when Grundy is brought back, Aquaman, who in this version is something of a knight templar jerk, has the following dialouge.

Dr. Fate: Solomon Grundy's grave is empty.
Aquaman: Tell me where to find those responsible, then dig more graves.

Koury
2010-12-25, 03:42 AM
*thinks for a sec*

There are a few things, now that I think of it...

Fry's dog, as was already mentioned. Also Click, with Adam Sandler. The scene out in the rain outside near the end. And Marley and Me.

Probably more, but those jump out at me.

Jan Mattys
2010-12-25, 03:56 AM
I never cry.

...except at the end of Big Fish.
It's not exactly tears of sorrow, but the whole ending hits a soft spot to me and well... :smalleek:

SympathyBot
2010-12-25, 11:13 AM
I saw Roger Waters in concert earlier this month. There is a part projected onto the wall where soldiers are coming back from wherever they had been and surprising their children in school. I cried.

cleric_of_BANJO
2010-12-25, 02:27 PM
I don't remember who it was that mentioned it, but I second The Body from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Specifically the part where Buffy tells Dawn that Joyce is dead

Also, the Angel episode I Will Remember You. I don't need to spoiler this, anyone that's seen it will know exactly when I cried.