PDA

View Full Version : How does every bard have Dragonfire inspiration?

Da Beast
2010-12-10, 11:26 PM
Dragonfire Inspiration requires dragonblood subtype. Draconic Heritage gives dragonblood subtype, but requires a level of sorcerer. Yet every bard topic and build I see tends to involve both of these, regardless of race and without a sorcerer dip. Am I missing something here?

Edit: also, the half elf bard substitution levels in Races of destiny replaces the "4th-level spell learned by a standard bard at 8th level." Only problem is bard's don't learn 4th level spells until level 10. Did Wizards ever explain this?

Chilingsworth
2010-12-10, 11:54 PM
funny, I thought heritage feats just required ability to cast arcane spells spontaneously? Bards can do that!

olentu
2010-12-10, 11:55 PM
Dragonfire Inspiration requires dragonblood subtype. Draconic Heritage gives dragonblood subtype, but requires a level of sorcerer. Yet every bard topic and build I see tends to involve both of these, regardless of race and without a sorcerer dip. Am I missing something here?

Edit: also, the half elf bard substitution levels in Races of destiny replaces the "4th-level spell learned by a standard bard at 8th level." Only problem is bard's don't learn 4th level spells until level 10. Did Wizards ever explain this?

Perhaps they take that one feat, dragontouched or something like that. I think that gives the appropriate subtype.

Flickerdart
2010-12-11, 12:02 AM
Silverbrow Humans are dragonblood, and so are, I believe, Dragonborn of Bahamut and possibly dragonwrought kobolds?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-12-11, 12:03 AM
A lot of advice on these boards assumes the OP is willing to change races at the drop of a hat. Perhaps they were just assuming Spellscale or something.

@^ All Kobolds are dragonblooded.

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-11, 12:05 AM

You're missing Dragontouched. No, seriously: Dragontouched.

The feat gives you a few things, but it mostly makes you a dragon-blooded character. That alone qualifies you for Dragonfire Inspiration, which you might get at level 3 or 6 (earlier if human or using flaws).

Alternatively, you can get through Silverbrow Human, which grants three things: an extra feat, the dragonblooded subtype, and treating the damage as cold damage (not sure about the last one).

Then there's Dragonborn, which makes you a dragonblooded character.

Mostly, the idea presumes that you already have a way to become dragon-blooded; in less words, it's a given you'll try something like that. Or use Draconic Heritage, but as you said you need a level of Sorcerer...or Dragontouched. Really, look at Dragontouched. It's more "look at what you can do" and not worry too much about the requirements, since you're expected to read them.

Da Beast
2010-12-11, 01:01 AM
Alright, I see. Anyone know anything about the half elf bard substitution levels?

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-11, 01:25 AM
Alright, I see. Anyone know anything about the half elf bard substitution levels?

Well, one of the many mistakes WotC made during its 3.5 run. Try checking the ToB errata? :P As in, it has no solution. Idea would be to get that ability at level 10, when you gain the actual spell slot. The comment is because the ToB errata actually has a problem because it has the Complete Mage errata lodged in the midst of it.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-12-11, 02:06 AM
Silverbrow humans are the more popular recommendation for dragonblooded races, but Dragon Magic has a dragonblood version of several core or MM I races, including halflings (my personal favorite bard race), orcs, drow, hobgoblins, and a few others.

Lycar
2010-12-11, 02:07 AM
Try DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf (http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf), page 20. :smallsmile:

Lycar

Strife Warzeal
2010-12-11, 02:09 AM
I think (Fluff-wise anyways) that Bard's and Sorcerer's both get their magic from having dragon-blood, so BS it to your DM talk nicely to them about the idea that they qualify for it already.