PDA

View Full Version : Half-Red Dragon and Mantle of the Icy Soul

Rasman
2010-12-11, 12:49 AM
So, I was looking at new druid spells for my next level since we get access to 5th level now and I found Mantle of the Icy Soul. MotIS gives the target creature the Cold Subtype, which is Immune to Cold damage and vulnerability to Fire, but...

...I got to thinking. We have a Half-Red Dragon Minotaur in our group. What would happen if I used this on him?

He's already immune to fire, so does this cancel out his immunity and trade it for the cold or does he become immune to both with no drawback?

arguskos
2010-12-11, 12:54 AM
As I'm reading it, he gains immunity to cold, and vulnerability to fire. It doesn't erase his immunity to fire. Basically, he's immune to cold and both immune and vulnerable to fire. The vulnerability just doesn't matter.

blazingshadow
2010-12-11, 02:28 AM
didn't the spell get an errata to 20 cold resistance? or was it just the ring that can be made with that spell? tha magic item compendium has the ring of the icy soul as a 20 cold resistance item that loses the fire immunity which is different from the ring in frostburn

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-11, 02:54 AM
SpC still has it as granting immunity (through the cold subtype).

I'd say this works to grant immunity to both. Of course you could just cast Energy Immunity for much the same effect with a potentially longer duration.

AslanCross
2010-12-11, 02:56 AM
He has immunity to both. If his immunity to fire is somehow negated, the vulnerability remains.

hamishspence
2010-12-11, 05:40 AM
Yup- and there are ways of getting through Immunity to Cold, in Frostburn.

However, immunity to cold granted by a subtype, cannot be gotten through with the Freezing Spell metamagic feat in Frostburn.

By contrast, the Searing Spell feat can be used to get to immunity to fire even when granted with a subtype.

So a half-white dragon with the fire counterpart of Mantle, is easier to damage than an half-red dragon with Mantle.