PDA

View Full Version : How to ignore

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 12:54 AM
I'm a Warlock sitting in Full Plate. How do I ignore/reduce the ASF down low enough that it won't interfere? Mythril + Battle Caster is already known to me, I'm ignoring it.

Chambers
2010-12-11, 01:04 AM
Twilight (+1 armor mod) reduces ASF by 10%.
Feycraft (DMG II armor template) reduces ASF by 5%.

Why are you ignoring Mithral? Game restrictions?

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:14 AM
I'm ignoring it cause I want adamantine armor, mostly.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-11, 01:17 AM
I'm a Warlock sitting in Full Plate. How do I ignore/reduce the ASF down low enough that it won't interfere? Mythril + Battle Caster is already known to me, I'm ignoring it.

Stick to flying and Eldritch Blast? Then just get utility invocations to use outside of battle.

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:20 AM
Stick to flying and Eldritch Blast? Then just get utility invocations to use outside of battle.Which not only goes against the character Personality, it goes against their entire method of combat. He likes to make sure the people he kills know -exactly- who sent them to the afterlife.

GoatBoy
2010-12-11, 01:23 AM
Pathfinder has a suggestion. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-mastery-combat)

Tvtyrant
2010-12-11, 01:23 AM
Hmmm. Well then I suggest finding items like that undershirt that lowers it by 10% and stacking as many as you can. Thistledown or something like that. Option 2; use the Warlock ability to make magic items they shouldn't be able to and make an animated suit of armor, and then simply cast from inside :P

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:25 AM
IF my DM allowed Path Finder material. He doesn't.

Thistledown shirt? Hmm... *looks up*

FelixG
2010-12-11, 01:26 AM
Simple solution:

Most of your self affecting buffs last for 24 hours, just raise them when you wake up in the morning and start the 24 hour clock before you put on your armor, problem solved.

Ashram
2010-12-11, 01:29 AM
I know you want it, but DR 3/- really isn't worth giving up mithral fullplate.

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:32 AM
I don't want pansy silvery armor. I want that BADASS black metal that's near indestructible. >=\

*FLUFFINESS*

Magic Myrmidon
2010-12-11, 01:33 AM
As mentioned, feycraft reduces it by 5%. Githcraft does as well. I now equip all of my casters with mithral githcraft feycraft chainshirts whenever possible, since it's something like +4 armor with no arcane failure.

FelixG
2010-12-11, 01:37 AM
I don't want pansy silvery armor. I want that BADASS black metal that's near indestructible. >=\

*FLUFFINESS*

Mithral fullplate + spikes + Paint/Prestidigitation = scary black metal armor with low ASF

you just have to broaden your scope :smallbiggrin:

Lots of things can make the armor black and scary

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:41 AM
Yeah, but then the armor isn't made of indestructible metal. =3=

And yes, I'm being silly. I'm ignoring the Mythril Fullplate because with it I just take a feat and I'm fine. So at this point I'm ignoring mythril because it defeats the exercise.

bannable
2010-12-11, 01:47 AM
FWIW, if you want indestructible, you're looking for Obidian or whatever that material in SBG is called. It's much tougher than Adamantine.

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 01:53 AM
SBG? What's that?

bannable
2010-12-11, 02:00 AM
SBG? What's that?

Why, the Stronghold Builder's Guide. That wonderful book that gave us things such as sofawall's cube, and living in a box.

Obdurium: This incredibly rare and hard metal represents the pinnacle of nonmagical wall strength.

Judging by the prices in the book, armor crafted from Obdurium would cost approximately twice as much as Adamantine.

arguskos
2010-12-11, 02:00 AM
SBG? What's that?
Stronghold Builder's Guide. He's talking about Obdurium, a metal twice the strength of Adamantine. Most durable material printed, not counting the hax that is Riverine.

Gan The Grey
2010-12-11, 02:16 AM
You can take the feat Supernatural Transformation for your Eldritch Blast, turning into a supernatural ability and thus eliminating any arcane spell failure for that. And it gets rid of AoO for Eldritch Blast as well. (I'm pretty sure). For the rest of your spell-like abilities? I dunno.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-11, 02:25 AM
The answer is glassteel. It's from Forgotten Realms. Strength of adamantine, flexibility of mithral, stats of both. Enjoy.

NineThePuma
2010-12-11, 02:30 AM
The answer is glassteel. It's from Forgotten Realms. Strength of adamantine, flexibility of mithral, stats of both. Enjoy.

I think you can make that with a few spells. I used a combination of Crystalbrittle and the Glasssteel spells to make a bunch of light weight armor. Twas nice.

Godskook
2010-12-11, 02:31 AM
Can a warlock qualify for spellsword? That'd help.

Optimator
2010-12-11, 02:46 AM
Since it's for a fluff reason and doesn't have a significant advantage, maybe your DM would allow you to take the Battle Caster feat a second time. I would let a player of mine do it for sure.

Tytalus
2010-12-11, 07:56 AM
The Halfweight +3 enchantment from Underdark makes your Adamantine Full Plate count as light armor. That does the trick, albeit at a high price.

You don't even need the Battlecaster feat.

Adamantrue
2010-12-11, 08:08 AM
Magic Item Compendium has the Twilight enhancement (+1), reducing ASF by 10%. It sounds like every little bit here would help.

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-11, 08:38 AM
Prestidigitation is god. But since you don't want mithral and glassteel has already been suggested... What about celestial armor?

Also, never forget to pay a psion to harden your armor with Matter Manipulation. Instantaneous +5hardness!

Darrin
2010-12-11, 10:04 AM
As mentioned, feycraft reduces it by 5%. Githcraft does as well. I now equip all of my casters with mithral githcraft feycraft chainshirts whenever possible, since it's something like +4 armor with no arcane failure.

Feycraft can't be added to heavy armor (although it can be added to mithral heavy armor since it counts as medium).

It is possible to get full plate's ASF (35%) down to zero, but not with adamantine:

Mithral: -10%
Twilight: -10% (MIC, PHBII)
Feycraft: -5% (DMGII)
Githcraft: -5% (DMGII)
Thistledown suit: -5% (RotW, also increases ACP by 1)
Total: -35%

There's another material that reduces ASF by 20%, but it's not compatible with adamantine, either: blended quartz, from the Arms & Equipment Guide. It also doesn't reduce the weight category, so you can't combine it with feycraft unless you add the half-weight property (FR Underdark, +3 enhancement, expensive). It also doubles the weight, so blended quartz full plate would be 100 lbs.

The best way to get adamantine full plate down to zero ASF:

Twilight: -10%
Githcraft: -5%
Thistledown: -5%
Spellsword 3: -15%

A 3-level dip into Spellsword could be problematic for a straight warlock. You could reduce that to a 1-level dip (and not lose a caster level) by adding the half-weight property and feycraft template. Not cheap, though... +5 enhancement bonus total, so that's at least +25000 GP.

Getting into Spellsword as a warlock... ugh. Well, if you go into Dragonslayer first (Draconomicon), that takes care of the weapon and armor proficiencies. Dragonslayer doesn't require spellcasting to get in, just BAB +5, Dodge, Iron Will (obtainable via Otyuph Hole), and Tumble 2. You get +1 CL, so you don't lose invocation/EB progression.

Being able to cast 2nd level spells, though... it can be done with feats, but you have to plan for it ahead of time, and it can still be pretty wonky: At 1st level, take the Magical Training feat (PGtF) for three 0-level spell slots. You can then use the usual early-entry tricks: Precocious Apprentice, Versatile Spell, Sanctum Spell, etc.

Otherwise, take a 1-level Sorcerer/Wizard dip with one of the early-entry feats mentioned above.

There have been several versions of glassteel in various sourcebooks, and the properties have changed several times. The first 3.5 update for glassteel was in Races of Faerun, and it is pretty much as you describe: all the properties of mithral and something similar to adamantine (it gets the hardness/HP and a non-magical enhancement bonus, but does not provide DR). It's also "fantastically expensive" (direct quote): glassteel full plate costs +25000 GP.

However, Champions of Valor was printed after Races of Faerun, and that version supercedes the RoF version. It has all the properties of mithral and the hardness/HP of adamantine, but it doesn't provide an enhancement bonus or DR.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-11, 02:59 PM
I don't think something can be githcraft AND feycraft at the same time. That doesn't make any sense.

hamishspence
2010-12-11, 03:07 PM
The Epic Handbook does suggest the multiple people can provide the XP for a magic item- with one being the "main creator".

So if a gith(yanki or zerai) and a fey both work on the item, it's crafted by both.

Or, you could have a half-fey gith.

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 03:10 PM
I don't think something can be githcraft AND feycraft at the same time. That doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does. Just find an Unseelie Githyanki Blacksmith.:smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-12-11, 03:11 PM
Sure it does. Just find an Unseelie Githyanki Blacksmith.:smallbiggrin:

That works too- if you have Dragon Compendium and its Unseelie Court Fey template.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-11, 03:37 PM
Huh, for some reason I thought you could only apply one item template at a time, but re-reading that part of my DMG2 reveals no such limitation. Oh well, carry on.... :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-12-11, 04:41 PM
Huh, for some reason I thought you could only apply one item template at a time, but re-reading that part of my DMG2 reveals no such limitation. Oh well, carry on.... :smallbiggrin:

Feycraft is one of the few that can be combined with other templates, because it doesn't require the crafting to happen on a particular plane. Githcraft requires crafting on the astral plane. Feycraft requires that the crafter be fey or "under the influence" of a fey... so in other words, find a fey to cast charm/geas/etc. on a githyanki, and you should be good to go.