PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 & 3.P] Offensive Transmutation

Golden-Esque
2010-12-11, 11:16 AM
Hey everyone, I play an Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer in Pathfinder, and up until now I've focused rather heavily on blasting abilities with a sprinkle of utility. I'm currently 13th level, so my biggest-hitting spell is Disintegrate. In order to get a better chance and reducing my foes to ash, I took Spell Focus (Transmutation) and am also planning on taking my School Mastery bonus in Transmutation as well. However, I was looking through my character list and I realized that I only have three Transmutation spells that require a saving throw! They are:

Disintegrate
Baleful Polymorph
Slow

My question for all of you is whether or not there are any other offensive Transmutation spells ranging in level from 1st to 7th (I'll be 14th level soon) that I can take. These spells can be from any published Wizards of the Coast source or from any Paizo source. Thanks!

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-11, 11:41 AM
Well, generally speaking, as a Transmutation wizard, you want to focus on buffing yourself and teammates and debuffing enemies. This won't damage your enemies directly, but you'll be giving yourself advantages over them so you'll come out victorious anyways. There's not many direct damage spells in Transmutatiion (you'll want to look to evocation for that one) but there's things you can use such as the +4 stat spells, Form of the Dragon (pathfinder) and other shapeshifting things. Honestly, Disintegrate is probably going to be the best damage spell you'll be able to muster as a Transmutation-based wizard so you just want to focus on gaining combat advantages, which Transmutation has a LOT of.

Here's some Pathfinder:

Magic Weapon, Touch of Gracelessness, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Pyrotechnics, Beast Shape, Blink, Flame Arrow (for bow-rangers), Haste, Versatile Weapon, Calcific Touch, Elemental Body, Reduce Person (Mass), Baleful Polymorph, Plant Shape, Telekinesis, Enemy Hammer, Form of the Dragon, Giant Form, Polymorph, Greater.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-11, 12:17 PM
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me he's looking for more offensive transmutation options.

Flesh to Stone/Ice/Salt
Extract Water Elemental
Glass Strike
Pyrotechnics
Corporeal Instability.

zimmerwald1915
2010-12-11, 12:39 PM
Here's a few more from WotC:

Level 5:
Lightning Leap (Complete Mage)
Lord of the Sky (Dragon Magic)
Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon), technically it's a buff, but it gives you a more than decent combat form

Level 4:
Call of Stone (Players' Handbook II)
Baleful Blink (Players' Handbook II)
Polymorph (Players' Handbook), see Draconic Polymorph
Displacer Form (Spell Compendium), see Draconic Polymorph. This spell is not in the Polymorph subschool.

Level 3:
Halt (Players' Handbook II)

Level 2:
There are, AFAIK, no spells of the type you're looking for at this level. No idea why.

Level 1:
Ray of Clumsiness (Spell Compendium)
Treacherous Weapon (Exemplars of Evil)

Most of these are debuffs, a few are buffs that make you a good damage-dealer, and a very few actually deal damage.

Emmerask
2010-12-11, 12:40 PM
Animate Weapon (CM), Call of Stone (PHB2), Telekinesis (PHB),

Incanur
2010-12-11, 01:06 PM
Pyrotechnics is an excellent low-level option if there are fires around.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-11, 01:13 PM
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me he's looking for more offensive transmutation options.

Flesh to Stone/Ice/Salt
Extract Water Elemental
Glass Strike
Pyrotechnics
Corporeal Instability.

I consider buffs to be offensive if they're boosting your scores since it increases your attacking/casting power in some way. Especially form of the dragon/elemental/giant, etc. That's what transmutation is all about.

But if he's looking for straight up offense in that way, just go evocation instead of transmutation.

Golden-Esque
2010-12-11, 01:29 PM
Wow! So many responses! Yes, I was looking for offensive options for Transmutation spells, preferably ones that had saving throws. I'll start commenting.

Otherworld - I kinda figured that there wasn't much in the realm of damaging spells for Transmutation, so I have been spreading out into other areas as well. I just didn't like that I only had three spells that too advantage of my bonuses to Saving Throw DCs with Transmutation spells.

Claudius - You guessed it! Now, of your spells, I'm not entirely sure where the following ones come from: Extract Water Elemental, Glass Strike, Pyrotechnics, Corporeal Instability. Any hints?

Zimmerwald -

1st
Ray of Clumsiness - It's a nice spell, but it doesn't make use of my feat or soon-to-have class feature, which is a little disappointing.
Treacherous Weapon - Holy cow, that's a nasty debuff!

3rd
Halt - Stop movement as an immediate action? Nifty.

4th
Baleful Blink - Wow, that's really cool!
Call of Stone - The spell isn't particularly clear on what happens if the creature succeeds on a saving throw or how long the movement penalties last : /.
Displacer Form - Not really feeling it, especially with how Pathfinder changed form-changing spells.

5th
Lightning Leap - Wow, that's badass!
Lord of the Sky - Eh, it's versatile I guess, but it doesn't really wow me.

[QUOTE=zimmerwald1915;9943639]Here's a few more from WotC:

Level 5:
Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon), technically it's a buff, but it gives you a more than decent combat form

Golden-Esque
2010-12-11, 01:31 PM
I consider buffs to be offensive if they're boosting your scores since it increases your attacking/casting power in some way. Especially form of the dragon/elemental/giant, etc. That's what transmutation is all about.

But if he's looking for straight up offense in that way, just go evocation instead of transmutation.

In my initial post, I stated that I was looking for spells to take advantage of the Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, and School Mastery feats with Transmutation. Buff spells are nice, but I originally only had three spells that went up against their target's saving throws, so they really weren't doing much.

Incanur
2010-12-11, 01:35 PM
Pyrotechnics is core. I think the others appear in the Spell Compendium.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-11, 01:38 PM
Claudius - You guessed it! Now, of your spells, I'm not entirely sure where the following ones come from: Extract Water Elemental, Glass Strike, Pyrotechnics, Corporeal Instability. Any hints?

Extract Water Elemental - Spell Compendium
Glass Strike - Spell Compendium
Pyrotechnics - Player's Handbook (and also here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/pyrotechnics.htm))
Corporeal Instability - Planar Handbook and Spell Compendium

Incanur
2010-12-11, 10:20 PM
Boiling blood from Complete Mage would be another offensive 2nd-level transmutation. Not too great, though.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-12, 02:00 AM
Animate Rope: Grapples enemies

Baleful Polymorph
Rock to mud+mud to rock for instant kill.
Telekinesis

Disintegrate
Flesh to Stone

Control Weather
Reverse Gravity
Statue

Temporal Stasis
Polymorph any Object

Core spells^ Most of them are SoD.

Emperor Tippy
2010-12-12, 04:59 AM
Polymorph Any Object is my favorite spell for offensive transmutation.

Remember, nothing is stopping you from transmuting the air around an enemy into Lava (dealing 20d6 damage for full immersion). Or turning it into adamantine (except for an opening for their head, so you can coupe de grace them). Instantly bypass any save or SR (you aren't targeting the enemy, thus he gets no save and SR doesn't apply).

Tael
2010-12-12, 09:43 AM
Tippy, I believe that would only work if the DM considered the air an object, which most will not IMO.