PDA

View Full Version : Construct Mount

the_archduke
2010-12-11, 01:14 PM
I have a Warforged Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 in an E6 campaign. Is there any way that I can get him a mount that is also a construct? Is there a template or something I can add to my horse?

big teej
2010-12-11, 01:31 PM
there's a golem horse (that may or may not be it's exact name) in the Arms and Equipment guide.

its basically a golem thats the size of a large horse

Jack_Simth
2010-12-11, 01:33 PM
I have a Warforged Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 in an E6 campaign. Is there any way that I can get him a mount that is also a construct? Is there a template or something I can add to my horse?
Get Practiced Spellcaster(Paladin) to have a caster level of 6. Then pick up Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Craft Construct. Then look up the Effigy Creature template from Complete Arcane.

Edit: Or you can buy one. An Effigy Heavy Warhorse 13,000 market

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 01:37 PM
Monster Manual IV has one you can buy.
Clockwork steed, I believe.

Adamantrue
2010-12-11, 01:50 PM
As a side note: This probably requires some Homebrew, but wouldn't it make more sense to make some sort of Living Construct type Mount?

I also believe there was some sort of Construct-type Mount near the end of Heroes of Battle. Don't remember the specifics, and not near my books, so I can't go into more details.

Darrin
2010-12-11, 02:15 PM
Monster Manual IV has one you cna buy.

The Clockwork Steed is actually a great deal: 6HD construct for only 2150 GP. The only real drawback is it requires a move action to tell it to do any full-round actions such as full attack or charge. You can improve this to a swift action with a 500 GP upgrade, but some riders need those swift actions for something else (maneuvers, devotion feats, swift-action wands, etc.). Most of the upgrades are worth getting, except for Improved Overrun and Trample.

(Never take these feats, even for your mount. If you need to move through an opponent's square, 1) jump over them or 2) charge them with a lance and a bunch of damage multipliers and turn them into a puff of bloody mist. Then move through their square. If you want to trample, the Trample feat won't help you, it just gets you a hoof attack. You can get a hoof attack the usual way without the feat.)

A more expensive option can be found in Heroes of Battle:

Brass Steed (Heroes of Battle p. 153, 19000 GP). There's a lot to love here... 8HD, good AC, immunity to magic, and laser-beam heat-ray eyes. There are also some quirks, such as acid damage slows it, and fog spells entangle it (WTF?). The entangling thing is easy enough to get rid of via fire damage, which like an iron golem also heals it. Even better, excess heat damage can be converted into temporary HP, and there doesn't seem to be any cap or duration on those, which means you might as well just park this thing in your campfire every night for nigh-infinite HP. I also don't see anything that would prevent this thing from using its laser-beam heat-ray eyes on itself. And all of this potential abuse for about the same price as a Figurine of Wondrous Power.

Here's a thread I put together a while back about using magic items as mounts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120298) (mostly the Figurines of Wondrous Power), and then further down a long post about using golems as mounts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6659433&postcount=7).

I'm quite partial to the Slaughterstone Eviscerator (MM3), which isn't a golem and is a bit slow for a mount (only 30'), but the Enhanced Mobility (Ex) is quite nice: move up to 15' in a round and still get a full attack.

the_archduke
2010-12-11, 02:34 PM
As a side note: This probably requires some Homebrew, but wouldn't it make more sense to make some sort of Living Construct type Mount?

Yeah, I would like a living construct horse...

Any ideas?

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 02:37 PM
Are any of the above suggestions legal choices for Paladin mounts? Given the OP's build I'm assuming that's the intent of the question.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-11, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I would like a living construct horse...

Any ideas?

Ask the DM nicely, referencing the little Paladin's Mount Entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#thePaladinsMount), specifically the clause "Another kind of mount, such as a riding dog (for a halfling paladin) or a Large shark (for a paladin in an aquatic campaign) may be allowed as well.", and point out that you're asking for it based on thematic reasons (warforged) rather than optimization ones - and turn a regular warhorse into a Living Construct, rather than a Celestial?

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 02:42 PM
If all else fails, apply the effigy (Complete Arcane) template to a warhorse.

LOTRfan
2010-12-11, 03:01 PM
If you and your gear is under 532 lbs, may I suggest the Warforged Raptor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5)?

Doesn't list the actual price in the entry, but I suggest looking at Forge of War for more info.

Zaq
2010-12-11, 03:06 PM
Monster Manual IV has one you can buy.

How strict is this E6? A Clockwork Steed requires Animate Objects, a spell which simply shouldn't be accessible to anyone under an E6 paradigm. You'd have to befriend and/or coerce a Ravid or something to help you, and honestly, I'm not even sure that you can use (Sp) or (Su) abilities mimicking spells in place of those spells for crafting purposes by RAW. A lot of GMs will say that a Clockwork Steed isn't going to break anything and will let it go, but under the strictest E6 rules, I'm not sure that you can do that.

the_archduke
2010-12-11, 03:07 PM
If you and your gear is under 532 lbs, may I suggest the Warforged Raptor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5)?

Doesn't list the actual price in the entry, but I suggest looking at Forge of War for more info.

Unfortunately, 12 HD probably won't fly in an E6 setting

Jack_Simth
2010-12-11, 03:19 PM
How strict is this E6? A Clockwork Steed requires Animate Objects, a spell which simply shouldn't be accessible to anyone under an E6 paradigm. You'd have to befriend and/or coerce a Ravid or something to help you, and honestly, I'm not even sure that you can use (Sp) or (Su) abilities mimicking spells in place of those spells for crafting purposes by RAW. A lot of GMs will say that a Clockwork Steed isn't going to break anything and will let it go, but under the strictest E6 rules, I'm not sure that you can do that.
Spell-like abilities work. Supernatural ones don't. That is RAW, actually.

Zaq
2010-12-11, 03:22 PM
Spell-like abilities work. Supernatural ones don't. That is RAW, actually.

Cool. I couldn't remember where to even look for that, and I didn't have my books open, so I didn't bother. But I'm sick, so I have an excuse.

Looks like the Ravid wouldn't work, then, since it's (Su). You'd have to find a creature with Animate Objects as an SLA, assuming that such a thing even exists in your campaign world (and in E6, it very well may not). At least, by RAW.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-11, 03:28 PM
If you want the actual quote:

A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite. (from Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites))