PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch RPG

Mooch
2010-12-11, 01:41 PM
for those of you that don't know Deathwatch RPG is in the Warhammer 40k setting and your character is a deathwatch space marine. This is in the same line as Dark Heresy

If I have the two-weapon wielder talent for both melee and ranged would I be able to use a 2 handed weapon in melee and then have a shoulder mounted ranged weapon fire as well? The rules seem to support this but the Two-Weapon Wielder talent mentions a weapon in each hand.

Does the playground have opinions?

Tyrrell
2010-12-11, 03:48 PM
for those of you that don't know Deathwatch RPG is in the Warhammer 40k setting and your character is a deathwatch space marine. This is in the same line as Dark Heresy

If I have the two-weapon wielder talent for both melee and ranged would I be able to use a 2 handed weapon in melee and then have a shoulder mounted ranged weapon fire as well? The rules seem to support this but the Two-Weapon Wielder talent mentions a weapon in each hand.

Does the playground have opinions?
I only have Rogue trader. In that book the two weapon wielder melee and two weapon wielder ranged talents allow you to spend a full action to make two attacks of the appropriate type. So by a strict reading (of an entirely different book) no, you cant.

In my opinion however parsing the text of rule books as if they held some sort of absolute truth is a silly exercise. Have your GM decide if he thinks:

A: That you're some sort of maladjusted power monger who has some sort of ego issue that involves a "better" character than the other players, or

B: that wielding a two handed power hammer and having a gun mounted on your shoulder is cool as hell and his only possible reason to say no to your idea is if he's a petty anti-fun rules zealot that gets his jollies by beating down his player's attempts to enjoy themselves.

hamishspence
2010-12-11, 04:02 PM
The phrasing's a bit odd.

It says "when armed with two weapons of the same type, the character may spend a Full Action to attack with both"

but immediately below it

"The character must possess Two-Weapon Wielder (melee) and Two-Weapon Wielder (ballistic) if he wishes to use a gun and hand weapon with this talent"

So maybe they don't have to be the same type. Whether they must both be "in hand" or if the gun can be arm mounted or even shoulder mounted- might depend on the reading.

But the "in each hand" bit might be fluff more than rules- as long as you only use two weapons, not three.

Ranos
2010-12-11, 09:59 PM
More of a RT player, but no, the talents don't let you do that. On the other hand, the only way you're going to fire a shoulder mounted weapon is with an MIU, and it lets you fire the weapon as a free action. So if you want a two-handed weapon and a shoulder mounted gun, you can. You just don't need the talents to do that, just the MIU.

Mooch
2010-12-12, 05:33 PM
Where does it say that an MIU reduces firing the mounted weapon to a free action? All I see under arm mounting is that it reduces range by 30% and that it uses an MIU to fire.

Side Note: how would range modifiers stack say using a mounted weapon and kraken rounds (increase range by 50%) would that be a 20% increase(50-30) or would it be 5% increase(1.05=1.5*.7)

Nero24200
2010-12-12, 05:43 PM
The phrasing's a bit odd.

It says "when armed with two weapons of the same type, the character may spend a Full Action to attack with both"

but immediately below it

"The character must possess Two-Weapon Wielder (melee) and Two-Weapon Wielder (ballistic) if he wishes to use a gun and hand weapon with this talent"

So maybe they don't have to be the same type. Whether they must both be "in hand" or if the gun can be arm mounted or even shoulder mounted- might depend on the reading.

But the "in each hand" bit might be fluff more than rules- as long as you only use two weapons, not three.

I believe by "same type" it simply means melee/ranged weapons. The rules for deathwatch are, in my opinion, brilliant, though I do feel it falls in certain areas. It's not that I consider the rules bad, it's just I don't think they're explained fully enough in some places.

For instance, it's only in reading the "Touched by the Fates" trait in Dark Heresy did I discover that only PC's and creatures with the Touched by the Fates trait are capable of getting Wrath of the Emperor.

Anyway, to my knowledge the digital weapons act on their own, so you wouldn't be using the Two Weapon Fighting rules for them. You would just cleave with your weapon as normal then attack using the rules for the digi-weapon.