PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] How much is fear immunity worth?

Swooper
2010-12-11, 01:46 PM
One of my characters (the one in my avatar, in fact) has a custom item that makes him immune to fear effects, and takes up a head slot (we looted it off some NPCs we killed). How much would you say this item is worth, in gold pieces? I haven't seen any items that do this, so I'm not sure what to base it off. I'm asking mainly for WBL purposes.

Ernir
2010-12-11, 01:56 PM
Using the Lionheart spell (SpC, Paladin 1), and making a continuous item out of it:
1 (Spell level) * 2 (Caster level) * 2000 (Continuous wondrous item multiplier) * 4 (rounds/level spell multiplier) = 16000 GP.

Ormur
2010-12-11, 01:57 PM
Based on the level 1 Lionheart paladin spell which gives immunity to fear and the custom magic item rules it would cost 1(spell level)x2(paladin caster level)*2.000(for continuous effect)*4(for a spell with x/rounds per level duration)= 16.000 gp.

But you already know that. :smallwink:

Edit: Damn ninjas.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-11, 04:54 PM
The result given by the custom magic item guidelines seems rather high to me. I'd half that, honestly. 8000gp seems okay to me for slotted fear immunity.

Godskook
2010-12-11, 05:12 PM
The result given by the custom magic item guidelines seems rather high to me. I'd half that, honestly. 8000gp seems okay to me for slotted fear immunity.

16kgp seems to low, imho, especially since this is a paladin-only spell we're working with, rather than a more common full-caster version.

On top of that, why does *EVERYONE* forget the crafting rules? Spells based in rounds/level have an additional x4 to their cost to make continuous. So by the Custom Magic Rules, it'd be 64kgp, not 16kgp. And 64k sounds a lot more reasonable, imho.

Hawk7915
2010-12-11, 05:19 PM
16kgp seems to low, imho, especially since this is a paladin-only spell we're working with, rather than a more common full-caster version.

On top of that, why does *EVERYONE* forget the crafting rules? Spells based in rounds/level have an additional x4 to their cost to make continuous. So by the Custom Magic Rules, it'd be 64kgp, not 16kgp. And 64k sounds a lot more reasonable, imho.

16,000 might be a little low...but 64,000 is insane. Compare to a Ring of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#freedomofMovement); 40,000 gold for much, much better protection (Grapple, underwater combat, entangle, slow, and any other effects versus just Fear).

I might put it at 20,000 gold. That is a bit lower than the cost to emulate another class ability (Ring of Evasion), which seems fair.

d13
2010-12-11, 05:24 PM
Using the Lionheart spell (SpC, Paladin 1), and making a continuous item out of it:
1 (Spell level) * 2 (Caster level) * 2000 (Continuous wondrous item multiplier) * 4 (rounds/level spell multiplier) = 16000 GP.

Based on the level 1 Lionheart paladin spell which gives immunity to fear and the custom magic item rules it would cost 1(spell level)x2(paladin caster level)*2.000(for continuous effect)*4(for a spell with x/rounds per level duration)= 16.000 gp.

But you already know that. :smallwink:

Edit: Damn ninjas.

<Nonsense stuff>

You were saying?

Chilingsworth
2010-12-11, 05:28 PM

were I buying such an item, I'd try getting an archivist to do it. They can learn non-cleric spells and get full caster level so it'd be cheeper.

Akal Saris
2010-12-11, 05:36 PM
I'd say 16K seems about right, maybe even a little too steep.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-11, 05:38 PM
16,000 might be a little low...but 64,000 is insane. Compare to a Ring of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#freedomofMovement); 40,000 gold for much, much better protection (Grapple, underwater combat, entangle, slow, and any other effects versus just Fear).

I might put it at 20,000 gold. That is a bit lower than the cost to emulate another class ability (Ring of Evasion), which seems fair.

one thing: the item doesn't replicate the paladin ability, since it doesn't offer the +4 bonus to allies with 10ft.

Godskook
2010-12-11, 05:38 PM
You were saying?

/me *HUMBLED*

Except Freedom of Movement, imho, is *also* too good, in all its forms. Actually, the Heart of X version isn't too bad, but that's cause it lasts exactly 1 round(so you can escape once, but can't blatantly walk around ignoring grappling).

In a game with FoM rings for normal pricing, I guess, yeah, 16kgp isn't too bad(fear should be easier to negate than grapple).