PDA

View Full Version : This is kinda scary...

Dalek-K
2010-12-11, 02:05 PM
While watching an episode of Metalocalypse and realized something...

They would make bad ass bards in D&D 3.5... No spells but severe abuse of the rules and skills...

Has someone already done this? Hell I want to play in a bards only campaign now...

TroubleBrewing
2010-12-11, 03:12 PM
If you play in/run a bards-only campaign, you must, I repeat MUST use Rock Band scores as a way of gauging success in bardic music checks. Completely disregard rolling the die for that one check, and your game will be so much more epic.

Skavengoblin
2010-12-11, 03:26 PM
If you play in/run a bards-only campaign, you must, I repeat MUST use Rock Band scores as a way of gauging success in bardic music checks. Completely disregard rolling the die for that one check, and your game will be so much more epic.

I completely agree. But what would be the system for this? You'd have to use some system that uses both the character's skill and the player's rock-band skill. As I think about this I realize the system may need to be somewhat complex, mostly because how 'hard' a song is in rock band is somewhat complex, with some hard songs being harder then some expert songs, etc.

Or, you know, you could just generally tell people to play at about their level, but a somewhat harder song, for an average check, and then adjust up and down from there depending on how likely their character would be to succeed. Or you could just play rock band every time someone makes a bardic music check and not care about difficulties, just so your playing d&d and rock band at the same time. That's pretty epic by itself. :smallsmile:

Dalek-K
2010-12-11, 03:28 PM
OMG :D THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA :D

Actually that could be done with a bard in any game... Hmmmm

If you could set up a game for the skill challenges... Like a mario party game where its the players versus DM... Hmm

Ravens_cry
2010-12-11, 03:38 PM
I say it should be a modifier, rather then changing the die roll. Just like I may have no skill at swinging a battle axe or calling on gods for Ultimate Powah, I don't play Rock Bad well. I still might want to play a Bard though.

jpreem
2010-12-11, 04:35 PM
As like - high charisma + max ranks in diplomancy = everybody likes you (idolizes you like a god) whatever you do?
:D

Ravens_cry
2010-12-11, 07:37 PM
As like - high charisma + max ranks in diplomancy = everybody likes you (idolizes you like a god) whatever you do?
:D
If that's how I want to play a bard, I don't, then sure. In almost no part of D&D does ones actual tactical skill at the task being represented have an effect on the outcome. Why should even a simulacrum of the skill affect this in particular?
Besides, you have to waste time setting up the game, playing the song, distracting everyone else in the process. I really don't see the need.

The Pressman
2010-12-11, 09:26 PM
If that's how I want to play a bard, I don't, then sure. In almost no part of D&D does ones actual tactical skill at the task being represented have an effect on the outcome. Why should even a simulacrum of the skill affect this in particular?
Besides, you have to waste time setting up the game, playing the song, distracting everyone else in the process. I really don't see the need.

Then don't use a simulacrum. Have the players actually sing, play instrument, dance, etc.

WinceRind
2010-12-11, 10:31 PM
Don't forget the Dirgesinger prestige class from I think Libris Mortis.

I don't think it gives you progression in bard spells - although thematically that is not quite needed, but it does give you more depressing and generally metal songs...

Plus you can create an undead with music!

That's nothing close to Mustakrakish but it's better then nothing.