PDA

View Full Version : I need help working on an character concept's build... (3.5)

The-Mage-King
2010-12-11, 02:35 PM
So, I want to make a mastermind, one who stays away from direct combat by himself, but can possess others to deal with things that require direct intervention from afar.

Preferably with a verbal component of "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL", but that's just fluff.

Any ideas?

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 02:38 PM
Fiend of Possession (Fiend Folio) is what you are looking for.

The-Mage-King
2010-12-11, 02:43 PM
Well... That... Works.

Though I was hoping for a more complicated and arcane solution to my idea...

Psyren
2010-12-11, 02:46 PM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) Telepath could work well too, as long as you can buy off that LA.

The-Mage-King
2010-12-11, 03:06 PM
Hm... That, too, would work.

Any other ideas?

supermonkeyjoe
2010-12-13, 09:34 AM
You may want to check out the Quori and the Inspired from the Eberron campaign setting, you don't get much further away from combat than on another plane of existence. They're heavily psionics based so may not be appropriate

Nanoblack
2010-12-13, 09:42 AM
I would suggest the ol' warlock/mindbender combo. Nothing says "If you love me, you'll kill your wizard friend!" like charm monster At Will. In any case you'll be needing something focused in enchantment. Fighting badguys with badguys is always a fun solution.

Telonius
2010-12-13, 09:54 AM
Shneeky's Joker Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5496158) build seems like it might fit the concept.

JeminiZero
2010-12-13, 10:07 AM
The Voidmind Template lets the controlling Mindflayer dominate the target at will, use the target's senses, and even manifest psionic powers through the Voidmind, and it works regardless of distance, and across planes. That seems to fit your concept.

The-Mage-King
2010-12-13, 10:43 AM
Ah, I had forgotten the Voidmind template. That's just what I needed, thanks.

Quirp
2010-12-13, 10:48 AM
I think the second ICOC had some builds like that since the Psibond Agent focuses on such things.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146583

Person_Man
2010-12-13, 11:23 AM
Any "mole" combo would work fine. The standard method is to find a way to get ethereal, flight, and Flyby Attack. Fly, cast a Standard Action spell or power, and then Fly again, ending your movement beneath the floor. It's impossible for anyone to target you unless they ready an action or can destroy/move the ground.

Or you could just go Invisible and then not attack - cast healing spells, buffs, Summons, etc. None of them will dispel your Invisibility.

Or you could just stay far away from the action and use Divination and Telepathy to guide your party without directly interfering. Teleport in if absolutely necessary, but otherwise remain safely from harm.

I could go on. But I would caution you that from a metagame perspective, it's a bad idea to use any of the above ideas too often. It just tempts your DM to target you specifically with something that beats your combo, and it makes your fellow players (the ones who bleed) resentful.