PDA

View Full Version : A question

Gmmaster42
2010-12-11, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know what happens to a genie in D&D when they die? Do they go back into the lamp? Get banished to another plane? Or something different?

Siosilvar
2010-12-11, 04:44 PM
Just like any other outsider, a killed genie is permanently killed, no chance for resurrection of any sort.

Worlok
2010-12-11, 05:24 PM
Just like any other outsider, a killed genie is permanently killed, no chance for resurrection of any sort.
Actually, unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature; its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Outsider_Type).

That would likely apply to genies, too. But the idea of them effectively 'respawning' within their lamp has a certain appeal to it, so personally, I'd say one should feel free to implement it that way via homebrew / rule zero.

Gmmaster42
2010-12-11, 10:50 PM
[...]

That would likely apply to genies, too. But the idea of them effectively 'respawning' within their lamp has a certain appeal to it, so personally, I'd say one should feel free to implement it that way via homebrew / rule zero.

I think that I like this idea better than them just disappearing forever. I'll probably homebrew that they go back to their lamps when they are killed. Thanks guys!

Baveboi
2010-12-11, 11:29 PM
I work a lot with genies of many kinds. Djinni, Janni, Efreeti, Dao, Maridi, Djeni, Djamni, etc...
They are all noble outsiders of a very deep knowledge of the planes works, some, the stronger ones, are even greater powers with god-like capabilities (such as Calim, Memnon and Allin) and almost every specimen has enough knowledge about the past, the future and multiverse to actualy conceede unrestricted and unlimited Wishes, the most powerful sort of magic, with some rules, depending on the Genies you're talking about.

Now, Genies do not belong inside rings, bottles or lamps. They belong to their original planes (except the Janni who walk wherever they want) and the bottles, flasks, lamps and rings are just ways to imprision them and use their powers to personal gain.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-12, 06:43 AM
Now, Genies do not belong inside rings, bottles or lamps. They belong to their original planes (except the Janni who walk wherever they want) and the bottles, flasks, lamps and rings are just ways to imprision them and use their powers to personal gain.

Yeah, D&D genies do not necessarily come pre-bottled. Most of them live free and clear on the elemental planes.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-12, 06:59 AM
Yeah, D&D genies do not necessarily come pre-bottled. Most of them live free and clear on the elemental planes.

Elementals and creatures from the Inner planes are probably the most exploited and enslaved creatures in D&D. Between Golems, Iron Flasks and Planar Binding most creatures from those planes may well come pre-bottled. But yes, they are not in bottles or lamps by default. Basically it isn't unreasonable to have most genies in bottles and lamps, it just suggests that most of the world (or at least the casters) are Evil with a capital "E".

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-12, 07:31 AM
Elementals and creatures from the Inner planes are probably the most exploited and enslaved creatures in D&D. Between Golems, Iron Flasks and Planar Binding most creatures from those planes may well come pre-bottled. But yes, they are not in bottles or lamps by default. Basically it isn't unreasonable to have most genies in bottles and lamps, it just suggests that most of the world (or at least the casters) are Evil with a capital "E".

Actually, I think it is somewhat unreasonable for "most" genies to be in bottles and lamps. They have, like, a whole society and stuff. (Not to say it can't be that way in your game, just that it differs significantly from the default setting.)

What's not unreasonable would be for most bottled creatures to be genies, because wizards love those tasty, tasty wishes. Still, I'm sure that the ratio of bottled to un-bottled genies is probably fairly low.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-12, 10:44 AM
Actually, I think it is somewhat unreasonable for "most" genies to be in bottles and lamps. They have, like, a whole society and stuff. (Not to say it can't be that way in your game, just that it differs significantly from the default setting.)

What's not unreasonable would be for most bottled creatures to be genies, because wizards love those tasty, tasty wishes. Still, I'm sure that the ratio of bottled to un-bottled genies is probably fairly low.

I know it would differ significantly from the default (I certainly don't play that way), but all that really stops casters from capturing almost all genies and similar creatures is time, there could be settings where it had happened.

Baveboi
2010-12-12, 11:46 AM
I know it would differ significantly from the default (I certainly don't play that way), but all that really stops casters from capturing almost all genies and similar creatures is time, there could be settings where it had happened.

Actually, as pointed out, Genies have societies. If they find some wizard captured many of their kin without properly abiding to the rules of Extra-Planar Contract of Servitude, as specified many times in Planescape: Torment and the core book for Planescape, they will hunt the wizard and kill him.

Rakshasas and other evil entities that hate the Genies would probably hunt the wizard down too, just so they could get their hand son those bottled ones.

I don't think a wizard that goes entraping Genies all day would live too long to make it a habit.

hewhosaysfish
2010-12-12, 12:31 PM
One important angle is the difference between Summoning and Calling.
When a Summoned creature is "killed", it is banished back where it came from.
When a Called creature is killed, it is dead.

If the Genie is Summoned to serve by the lamp, then "death" means nothing to it (although pain may bother it).
If the Genie has been Summoned and then bound to the lamp and rubbing the lamp releases the Genie to serve, then the Genie may actually want to "die" as this allows it to go free.
If the lamp Calls the Genie to serve or if the Genie has been Called and bound, then it will die for real when killed.

WinceRind
2010-12-12, 11:32 PM

Yep, the D&D and general fantasy/mythology human(or at least Material-plane)-centric world views are just horrible... Kind of funny, too.