PDA

View Full Version : [4.0] Is GW Box better than the Red Box?

grimgrin
2010-12-11, 04:49 PM
It seems to me that the Gamma World Box is a better investment than the Red D&D starter box for first time players.

First, the rules are even simpler than the red box/essentials rule set and it doesn't require any character/feat optimization.

Second, you can use it for many more xp levels.

Third, It has a tons of variety in Character Generation and more monsters.

Forth, even though your character is not core D&D the same is true to a certain extent for the Red Box.

Fifth, it comes with treasure cards and power cards.

Mando Knight
2010-12-11, 04:58 PM
Red Box is meant to be an introductory set to 4e. Gamma World is a standalone game based on the 4e ruleset. Mutation and Omega Tech cards move through the players' possession enough that it really doesn't work if you want to integrate it more fully with D&D.

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 05:24 PM
Another way to interpret what your saying is that the Red Box forces you to buy additional books/suppliments right away, while the GW is a stand-alone.

But if you're introducing people to D&D then someone already has the books on hand anyway.

grimgrin
2010-12-11, 05:29 PM
But if you're introducing people to D&D then someone already has the books on hand anyway.

Unless they have the 3.0/3.5 books or even older edition instead (or no books at all :smalleek:).

Dalek-K
2010-12-11, 05:32 PM
The problem with Gamma World is that it doesn't "feel" like D&D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smallbiggrin:

Hahahahaha sorry about that I couldn't help myself

But I played GW and although it uses the same idea as 4e rule sets it just doesn't really hold up like 4e. There isn't that many at-wills and the card rules and cards are a bit odd...

However I do like the overchage ability is pretty cool. I would like to see 4e add in a rule like that to daily powers...

Hmmm

Kurald Galain
2010-12-11, 05:33 PM
It seems to me that the Gamma World Box is a better investment than the Red D&D starter box for first time players.

I agree. The new red box has too small a scope and too much incompatibility issues to be a good investment for the starting 4E player.

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 05:36 PM
Unless they have the 3.0/3.5 books or even older edition instead (or no books at all :smalleek:).

If you're in the position of teaching a friend D&D 4e, then you've played 4e for some time, and have some access to the rules. If you only play 3.5, then you'd be teaching the friend 3.5. Teaching something you yourself don't understand is kind of silly.

Dalek-K
2010-12-11, 05:37 PM
Red Box characters though can work right into 4e with no problem and work really well for new players.

I played a 4e character along side a redbox fighter and it worked out pretty well.

Kurald Galain
2010-12-11, 05:50 PM
Red Box characters though can work right into 4e with no problem and work really well for new players.
That depends. For example, rogues work radically differently between Red Box and 4.4. Just because it can work doesn't mean it usually does; simply starting with the PHB1 strikes me as a better solution.

WitchSlayer
2010-12-11, 06:07 PM
Well, Gamma World IS awesomely fun, if you wanted to get friends into it, Gamma World might be better, if only because it can go on much longer and is really really fun.

Dalek-K
2010-12-11, 06:18 PM
That depends. For example, rogues work radically differently between Red Box and 4.4. Just because it can work doesn't mean it usually does; simply starting with the PHB1 strikes me as a better solution.

RB rogues feel more like what rogues should be, sneaky and nimble and not up close and personal. The PHB1 rogues have more of a ranger/fighter feel (mechanic) to them than a sneaky little bastard feel (mechanic).

Kurald Galain
2010-12-11, 06:22 PM
RB rogues feel more like what rogues should be, sneaky and nimble and not up close and personal. The PHB1 rogues have more of a ranger/fighter feel (mechanic) to them than a sneaky little bastard feel (mechanic).
Sure. But the point is that if you learn to play a rogue from the redbox, you'll find that neither the 4.0 rogue nor the 4.4 rogue actually works that way. So in that case, the teaching material has taught you exactly how things don't work in the actual game. There are other inconsistencies but this is the most glaring one.

Lord Bingo
2010-12-11, 06:52 PM
My first experience with D&D -and indeed with any rpg, was the original Red Box, so I gotta love it!

But seriously, if you wanna introduce people to D&D with the aim of playing World of Warcraft -sorry: 4th edition (or any other) don't beat around the bush. The Red Box is more of an introduction to roleplaying/rpg's in general than to 4th edition. It is not all that similar to the more complex rules of 4th and you will only wind up with a bunch of inherent expectations and misunderstandings of the rules. Start out with the game you intend to play and cut the new guys/gals some slack. Patience with newbies goes a long way and in my experience the pick it up very quickly.