PDA

View Full Version : From the Start: Reviews of the comic.

Omergideon
2010-12-11, 06:20 PM
Well the last few months for me have been hectic (starting teacher training and all that) but with the holidays coming up and this being my last week I have a bit more time on my hands. And so I have decided to do a sort of review series of the OoTS, starting at the beginning and exploring the characters, themes and issues of the web series. Probably nobody will care, but here's hoping I can offer somebody an ineteresting read, or a fresh insight into the series. I've got no training or real experience, just opinions and a real love of the comic. With that said here is my mini-review of issues 1-12 of the OoTS.:smallsmile:

The plot recap: We meet 6 adventurers in a DnD world. They fight monsters. Hilarity ensues.

Well up to strip 12 that is pretty much it for the OoTS in terms of plot. This was truly the epitome of a gag a day comic strip. The plot was barely even there. Whilst strips did follow on from one to the next and had continuity (for lack of a better term) it was limited in the extreme. We all know that the plot arrived in strip 13. However that is definately not a weakness. Sure we follow the characters as they simply faff around in the dungeon, but this gives us something the comic needed to survive: The characters. :smallcool:

The biggest strengths of the first 12 strips in OoTS are in my opinion the variety of jokes used (more on that later) and the clearly established characters. I'll start with the characters.

Try re-reading the first 10 strips of the comic. Intentionally or not these early strips seem to follow a pattern. The 2nd has jokes mostly based on the characters and their interactions with each other, and after that every other strip does so as well (4,6 etc). Strip 2 is about Roy (leader and snarky), 4 about Elan (Ditzy and useless), 6 about the party interactions (also Durkon's role is introduced), 8 is Haley all over (sneaky and clever) and 10 is V (His speech is everything we needed to know about him). They really set up the party dynamic that is crucial to an ensemble piece, as well as having spotlights for our major players. Durkon and Belkar get very little focus true, but then at this point they were simply foils for the rest of the cast so no great suprise. they do, however, get little moments sprinkled around such as 11 with Belkar.

These introductions to our cast were very funny and well paced, and set up clearly defined characters. Now I never read the cast page until I'd gotten to about strip 50 so from the comic alone here were my first impressions.
Roy: The leader. Gets annoyed easily and is dismissive of "silly" things and people. Obviously annoyed by Elan.
Elan: The ditz. Means well but is too stupid to realise how many problems he causes.
V: Talky wizard elf who reeaaaaally like magic. A lot. Also very serious.
Haley: The chick perhaps, but maybe not token. Seems to be the traditional thief type.
Durkon: The dwarven Cleric and............er not much else. Could be a stereotype.
Belkar: Incompetent in some ways and fight oriented. Probably non-good.

As you can see they were quite shallow characters at this point, but again that isn't a problem. The shallowness only comes from having so little time and a need to establish amusing traits in the characters, which is done quite well. they may seem shallow now, after 700 strips of growth, but then all we needed were amusing stereotypes that could play off each other well. But then sterotypes is the wrong word, perhaps archetypes is better and characters like that were definately the right choice. I mean in the original Star Wars the characters had little depth, but the clear archetypes in use made them resonate with audiences and made later growth all the more impressive.

The other major strength at this early stage was the variety of humour. Within 12 strips we have wordplay, situational comedy, character based comedy, DnD and universe jokes, 4th wall breaking and visual gags. We also got some nice callback jokes, for instance in strip 11 where V protests "I didn't CAST anything!" and Elan is yawning. Even the types of each class of joke are different (compare the last panel of 11 to 8). This great variety of humour was a good sign as it meant that you were likely to find something funny in everything. And Vitally, by not relying on a small set of gags or making it all DnD based humour there was universal appeal available. And even now on re-reading for the 20th time most are still very funny. It is amazing at times to see in these early strips the foundations for the future greatness of the comic.

But......It isn't perfect.:smalleek: (put down the pitchforks, you know I'm right)

I guess I need to explain myself here with specifics. Lets start with the art. At the time the artwork for OoTS was amazingly primitive. I don't mean that it was stick figures. I mean that the images were all simply drawn for stick figures and the backgrounds were so dull that it can be a little irritating to look at. So much grey wall and so little detail on the characters. I can't complain too much though. There were a number of instances with clever visual details added, like on the girdle of man/woman in 9. Also Heaven knows people need the aid of a translator to interpret my stick figures (I've been told before my flock of sheep was amazing. I had drawn dogs). And perhaps technical issues limited what could be done. However 1 real complaint can be made. Once again the backgrounds were often very dull, making the comic......not pleasent to look at. It does reduce my enjoyment of the early issues, as funny as they are. There was also relatively little variety of colour used in the strips. It may not have been necessary but still. And whilst, yes, the artistic quality is secondary in many ways to the content
of the strips as a visual medium it is still an issue.

Any other complaints about the art are only going to be relative. The most recent strips of the comic have all been so wonderfully drawn, with such interesting use of the medium and impressive visuals, that it's not fair on the early strips. They stand no chance.

If I had to offer a criticism of any one element in the first 12 strips as a whole it would be......well that the comic is merely OK. don't get me wrong at the time OoTS was an allright comic with decent characters and good jokes, but is was nothing beyond that. Gag a day has it's limits for a series and the comic really hit those. Compared to even later standalone strips such as the cinema one, the jokes are merely amusing. Even the areas I praised in characterisation still hit the limit of the strip trying to be gag a day. I like the variety of jokes myself, but whilst good the result can be somewhat scatterbrained. Without a central focus or premise to base the humour on none of the jokes can really excel or build off of each other. They are orphaned, like a stand up comic who tells lots of good 1 liner jokes. They may be individually funny but can't feed into each other very well. Don't mistake me the first 12 are funny, but just nothing special. The characters are archetypal.....but not memorable yet.
Luckily for the Giant he quickly moved beyond gag a day into something more ordered and thematic and it allowed his strengths to really shine through very soon.

So my review of the first 12. They did a good job of introdcuing the comic, the characters and the world and were even amusing to boot. But they were just examples of another halfway decent webcomic. After this point though things rapidly improve from the simply average to the good and great, but that is for another time.

N.B:
Except strip 12. Of the fisrt ones this is the only massive misfire. Simply put it isn't funny. As a rip off of the classic "who's on first" piece it is really substandard. That masterpiece works because the dialogue is crafted so that every sentence flows seamlessly into each other and you can see just why the confusion happens with flawless timing. In the strip the writing is such that it requires contrived stupidity on the part of the characters to misinterpret each others statements. They don't even make sense from the perspective of the other players. for this kind of joke to work it has to make sense from each characters perspective. But to Roy, Haley is simply speaking ungrammtical nonsense and aley doesn;y even respond properly to what Roy says. A serious mistep and still one of the weakest strips of the lot.

That's my review. I actually want to learn better how to do this sort of thing so any CONSTRUCTIVE advice on making things more interesting and entertaining would be appreciated. Thanks for reading, and I hopt the wall of text didn't scare you:smallwink:

mr man
2010-12-12, 06:49 PM
i agree with you're analysis

Aruius
2010-12-13, 10:57 PM
A very detailed and thorough analysis, with plenty of good points.

However...

Since you asked for advice on writing better, future critiques, I have some advice for you.

Firstly, there are several spots where you seem to go on a tangent, almost rant-like (without the anger, obviously) which detracts from your analysis. For example, in your last big paragraph, "If I had to offer a criticism of any one element..." through "...to really shine through very soon." you tend to say a lot of the same things over and over again. This happens in other paragraphs too (Such as the one on artwork quality).

You might want to make your points a little more concise and precise, and then back those up with your opinions and analysis.

Also, your critique was a little dry, and could use some flavor which can be added in a few ways:

Style. Try varying the length of your sentences, changing the word count of each every so often. Its simple, really. It adds a certain... Flavor to your analysis. Its more entertaining that way. (See what I did there?)

Voice. This is a little harder to get at. You don't have to be completely objective when you're writing these things. Half the fun for the reader is seeing your personality shine through to color your opinions.

Overall, great points and a reasonably effective delivery.

As for your analysis, I disagree that the introduction of a plot occurred in strip 12-13. I feel like that was more of a direction rather than a true plot. Xykon is still the generic evil guy who we have no explanation for why the order must kill him besides that he lives in a dark castle, is undead, has black glowy fingers, and has lots of money. I feel like an actual plot was introduced when The order runs into their doubles, led by Nale. The plot was even more developed when we are told by Roy's father that Xykon is part of a blood oath, giving the order (More specifically Roy) a reason to be there and a goal to accomplish.

Omergideon
2010-12-17, 06:33 PM
Picking the next comics to review was a bit tricky here. I could have done lots of little chunks. I could have been a long review up to 70ish. Heck I could even have finished off Dungeon Crawling fools entirely. But I think the best section to do is strips 13-43. They form a natural progression and end on cliffhanger, as good a place to stop as any.. With that in mind let us begin.:smallsmile:

The Plot: The order carry on through the dungeon. Turns out they have a reason, to Kill an evil Lich and save the country etc etc etc. You know the drill. Wacky hijinks ensue, foreshadowing occurs and we get a cliffhanger ending. Also Elan got naked (:smallbiggrin: important if you like that sort of thing).

First impressions: I gotta say that the strips I'm covering now are where I finished reading the first night I found out about OoTS, so I have a lot of fond memories for these plotlines. It was here where I fell in love with the comic. If I had to describe why in one sentence it would be, the characters. Last time I mentioned how we got good and clear introductions to our cast and a chance to meet them. This time we get to know them. Also we got our first real inklings of an overall storyline for the comic. It was pretty slim I admit. Also kind of.....Cliche really. But it was a plot. A reason for the party to exist. Not much of one I confess but enough to give a sense of purpose and direction to the comic. And without that the comic would have died. Of course I have to explain my impressions, so here goes.

I cannot stress enough how important introducing Xykon was to the overall narrative. I do honestly believe that without him OoTS would have failed before 100 strips were up. As fun as following our heroes about was at first I think we can all agree that the jokes would have worn thin soon enough. Even good jokes need something to play off of. Great jokes arise from the situation and have a story. I mean compare a guy telling brilliant knock knock jokes to a comedian like Michael McIntyre* The point is they build to something and have a payoff. Xykon gave us the hope of a payoff.
Of course we don't actually meet Xykon until strip 23 and we only see him in 2 others but his role does add that purpose. Remember the Chimera was sent by Xykon (strip 18). He may not have directly intervened in many events but he was "there". And having him there mattered.
(:xykon: "Agreed")

I also think adding Xykon changed the way the Giant told his jokes. We get some little callbacks early on in the strip, but it isn't until after Xykon arrives that we get lots of multi-strip jokes. The Chimera lasts 5 strips and adds material for a couple of others. Elan was naked for 3, though we got 2 others feeding into/out of it. The midflayer got us 3 strips. And so on. We still get a single strip jokes as well, but the jokes get longer. To me this was a good change. As said I like jokes that build up and have a payoff. 1 strip isn't quite enough for that. 4 are. Plus making the 1 off strips rarer made them all the more refreshing.

Finally regarding the plot, Roy's dad arrived. I'll cover the effect on Roy's character next, but for the plot it made a difference as well. Now we wouldn't find out why Eugene cared so much until strip 78, but his appearances in this section helped. The 2nd especially. It gave the sense that there in fact was some sort of overall plan for the strip. For me that added to my anticipation of future strips.

Then we get the changes to our characters. Well, I say changes but that isn't really the case. They haven't been around enough to change. But we do get to know them as more than just the stereotypes we first met. I plan to do this character by character so it may take a while (also nothing on team evil yet. That is for a later review).

:roy:: "Sigh"
Lets start with the big man himself. I do honestly think he's the "main character" of the order. The Hero. The plot is driven by HIS story and choices. And I reckon these strips (partly) are why. He is the first character to be given some backstory beyond "Hi, my name is...." Ok it's pretty traditional Daddy issues but that's Ok for now. I like the Wizard/fighter interplay between them. Plus right now they are so similar it's brilliant. Seriously the sarcasm, the pride, the subtle digs. They are like mirror images of each other just with different classes. We also get to see him as the "straight man" to a party of borderline incompetents and how it affects him. Something in the sarcastic, weary way he deals with crisis after crisis just appeals to me. Plus the fact he acts resigned is a plus. not angry. not Irritated, usually just resigned. It's like he's already had every arguement he could and can't deal with it anymore. This implies a history for the order, and fleshes out his role as leader.

:elan:: "oooh"
If Roy is the main character then Elan is the second. just re-read the strips up to 43. I'll wait. Done? Good. Now how many focus on, or are driven by Elan's actions? And how many have his Jokes as the punchline? By my count it's 14 (8 as main, 6 as punchline). And in most of the others it's the whole cast together, Xykon or Roy. Also remeber the next big subplot (and other main recurring villains later) are all about him. And here we get to know Elan pretty well. Of course his ditzyness, stupidity and general uselessness are easy jokes and well used including the long one about his nudity. But re-read strip 31. He makes friends with an obvious monster in the middle of a quest and loves every moment of it. It's the innocent joy in life here that makes Elan tolerable despite his annoyingness. I learnt to love Elan as a person here, a sweet happy soul.

The Rest: It's cheating I know but whatever:smallwink:. Sure Haley, Durkon, V and Belkar each get their moments to shine through and develop but it isn't too much. Durkon shows his stoic but somewhat absentminded nature, especially in his interactions with Thor. V's Blaster happy mode to magic (and pride in it) are definately built on and expanded. Haley shows her flirty and fun loving sides more, plus her greediness is properly introduced. And Belkar really begins to shine as the angry little kill-happy maniac that adds a foil to the rest of the party. It may not be a lot of character development but with the good amount for Roy, the introduction of plot elements and the fact it comes in subtle small moments I'm OK with it. (My favourite examples are V's indignation over the mindflayer and Belkar lamenting that nobody say him being awesome). It makes it feel more organic without overwhelming us. It's like how you get to know a friend. Sometimes you have big deep chats, but other times it's in the small little jokes they tell.

Beyond the plots and characters there is little else to say about this part of the comic. It's true that its still very much gag a day, but the signs of evolution are there. The characters are deeper. The jokes are longer. There is the start of plot development looming. We even get the beginnings of our favourite running gags like the lawyers or breaking the 4th wall. And best of all a cliffhanger ending that really did leave me wanting to know more. The art remained fairly primitive but with a greater variety of monsters and characters involved, as well as a few different looking backgrounds it isn't so bad. Heck the Thor/Surtur strip is pretty impressive for the time. Of course the comic still had a way to go to achieve true greatness but I do consider strips 13-43 a very good set and a marked improvement over the first 12. Every time I reread them I laugh out loud. I still doubt the strip would have ended up as good as it got without the major shift to story that happened after Nale's introduction but as of strip 43 the OoTS was an excellent gag a day comic.

Once again thanks for reading. Any thoughts, disagreements(:smallfurious:), questions or ideas feel free to offer them.

*(if you don't know who he is, well look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqDqrG7DyjU. Worth it.)

P.S. hopefully this explains what I meant about the plot being introduced. I agree it became more important and developed later but what we got here was important enough to warrant the term "plot is introduced".