PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Combat Facing and Hexgrid Variants

veven
2010-12-11, 09:19 PM
What experiences have you guys (and gals) had with either of these two variant rules? Thinking about using one or both of them in a campaign and I am curious about the effects it will have on play.

It seems Combat facing makes things easier on a ranged rogue since you only have to be in an enemies rear space instead of denying him his dex to AC. It also seems to make it more difficult for a melee rogue since flanking no longer grants sneak attacks.

Something about the Hex grid that i find curious is that (unless i am looking at these charts wrong) area spells have larger areas. A 5 foot radius on a square grid affects 4 spaces on a grid intersection (according to the DMG) and a 5 foot radius spell in a hex grid affects 7 spaces (the center space, and the 6 surrounding it). This seems like a big boost in power so please tell me i am wrong about this.

Kilbourne
2010-12-11, 09:48 PM
The thing about the increased radii of spells is that all spells have the boost. It makes every spell slightly more powerful, equally.

veven
2010-12-11, 09:49 PM
Right, i wasn't really worried about some spells being more powerful than others, just magic being even more powerful than it already is.