PDA

View Full Version : Customizable Construct.

AustontheGreat1
2010-12-11, 09:55 PM
Is there rules anywhere in 3.5 for a customizable construct? Not astral construct because I actually want to build it. Something like the cost of a base construct and then upgrades which increase cost and what-not.

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 09:59 PM
Homunculi have some options like this. Various feats add to their capabilities, and Artificers especially are explicitly able to upgrade them.

Beyond this, I favor use of grafts, but I suppose that isn't precisely what you're looking for.

RandomNPC
2010-12-11, 10:09 PM
You'll probably need to ask in homebrew.

But there's that one, Runic Guardian I think, that you can place spells into. It's not loads of customization, but you decide if it gets magic missile or repair minor wounds.

Darrin
2010-12-11, 11:49 PM
Is there rules anywhere in 3.5 for a customizable construct? Not astral construct because I actually want to build it. Something like the cost of a base construct and then upgrades which increase cost and what-not.

The Clockwork Steed (MMIV) is customizable, and has several upgrades, but is probably not what you're looking for.

There are a couple golems that can be upgraded. Fang Golems (MMIV), for example, you can increase their HD. Serpentflesh Golems (Serpent Kingdoms) have an option where you can add extra arms for more attacks.

Could you give us an idea of what sort of power/HD/CR range you're looking for?

AslanCross
2010-12-11, 11:53 PM
There are feats in Magic of Eberron that allow you to improve your Homunculus with a wide range of options.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-11, 11:55 PM
Homunculi have some options like this. Various feats add to their capabilities, and Artificers especially are explicitly able to upgrade them.

Beyond this, I favor use of grafts, but I suppose that isn't precisely what you're looking for.
... can you apply grafts to constructs? I thought most of them required that you put them on living creatures.

There's Effigies (Complete Arcane), which let you make a construct version of a creature. So you can find the creature with the type of things you want, and make a Construct of that.

Kyouhen
2010-12-12, 12:32 AM
You could probably use the list of options for the Astral Construct and the costs for upgrades to the Clockwork Steed to work out ways to customize a construct.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-12, 01:29 AM
I think I've seen some 3rd party stuff for this...

Alleine
2010-12-12, 03:28 AM
... can you apply grafts to constructs? I thought most of them required that you put them on living creatures.

There's Effigies (Complete Arcane), which let you make a construct version of a creature. So you can find the creature with the type of things you want, and make a Construct of that.

Presumably you can at least apply Maug grafts to constructs, since that's what they were built for.

Escheton
2010-12-12, 03:45 AM
Artificers and homunculi are your best bet before reaching really high lvls.
The craft feats and cl's needed for golems are pretty steep I think.

Acanous
2010-12-12, 04:43 AM
What kind of customization are you looking for, exactly?

Like different size, shape, limbs, abilities?

are you looking to make a glass golem look like the Kool-Aid Man so you can polymorph yourself into a red ooze and ride around in it?

AustontheGreat1
2010-12-12, 07:13 AM
I wasn't looking for anything specifically. I just thought it would be neat to be able to custom build my own robots.

Anyway, it isn't important, but while I'm here and on a related subject, are there any homunculi besides those in the eberron campaign setting? maybe in the other eberron books or in some dragon magazines.

Urpriest
2010-12-12, 10:30 AM

I had this impression too, but after digging around I couldn't find the restriction. IIRC, Aboleth grafts are explicitly restricted to living creatures, and most grafts are restricted to corporeal creatures, but most of the other types could theoretically be applied to constructs.