PDA

View Full Version : a quick question on harpoons

big teej
2010-12-11, 10:39 PM
can they be used in melee?

they're listed as a ranged weapon

but they're described as a spear.....

soooo

can they be used in melee? (as a normal spear?)

Escheton
2010-12-11, 10:58 PM
no, they just kinda look like one.
you could just take the AoO and throw in melee though. And there are ways around that even.

big teej
2010-12-11, 11:01 PM
no, they just kinda look like one.
you could just take the AoO and throw in melee though. And there are ways around that even.

oh well, Just checking for a character concept.
thanks for the quick reply

WinceRind
2010-12-11, 11:17 PM
I don't remember the description, but I think it actually says something about using it in melee in one of the books. Not sure which one...

But I'm fairly sure that it said something similar "a harpoon is an awkward weapon to use in melee, so you take -4 penalty to attack".

big teej
2010-12-11, 11:27 PM
I was basing a character off of "wallace" from the fire emblem gameboy advance game

so I was going for something similar to the spear launching mechanism shown in the game

hence
harpoon. :smallbiggrin:
and AXE

oh well.

Godskook
2010-12-12, 12:01 AM
I don't remember the description, but I think it actually says something about using it in melee in one of the books. Not sure which one...

But I'm fairly sure that it said something similar "a harpoon is an awkward weapon to use in melee, so you take -4 penalty to attack".

Its in Stormwrack, and has no new rules for being used in melee.

Escheton
2010-12-12, 12:11 AM
-4 nonprof penalty sounds about right though.
think you get the same for clubbing someone with a normal bow.

awa
2010-12-12, 12:13 AM
i would use what ever penalty you get for using a javelin in melee

edit which is a -4 penalty

Popertop
2010-12-12, 12:19 AM
there's a feat, I can't remember what book it's in, but you can short haft a spear or something like it and you take a -2 to attack. Not as bad as the -4, seems reasonable, and similar to the mechanic in that the thrown weapons have a lower accuracy even when used at close range. Some shield & spear style feats would also be a nice touch for Wallace.

Coidzor
2010-12-12, 01:09 AM
Short Haft from PHB 2 is for polearms with reach and allows one to attack adjacent targets with them by expending a swift action to make it a non-reach weapon or back into a reach weapon. So strictly inferior to EWP: Spiked Chain. And not really applicable in this situation.

sonofzeal
2010-12-12, 01:13 AM
There's also a Harpoon weapon listed in the Kuo-Toa section of MM5. Among other difference, it CAN be used as a melee weapon. Page 96 if you're interested.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-12-12, 02:01 AM
I was basing a character off of "wallace" from the fire emblem gameboy advance game

so I was going for something similar to the spear launching mechanism shown in the game

hence
and AXE

oh well.

I don't have anything to help with the build, unfortunately, but I have to say I approve.

big teej
2010-12-13, 12:22 AM
There's also a Harpoon weapon listed in the Kuo-Toa section of MM5. Among other difference, it CAN be used as a melee weapon. Page 96 if you're interested.

I am indeed interested, unfortunately I don't have the book. :smallfrown:

I don't have anything to help with the build, unfortunately, but I have to say I approve.

given the resources available, I've gone with knight with a 2 level dip in fighter.

so Fighter: Player's handbook
Knight: PDF file
+ either battle and/or mountain plate (races of stone)
Battleaxe: Player's handbook
Harpoon: Arms and Equipment Guide
dunno what else.

probably an extreme steel shield or a steel tower shield. just for massive, over the top AC bonus from armor

if anyone has advice on the build this is what you have to work with
DMG
PHB
BOVD
BOED
A&EG
Races of Stone
Masters of the wild
Cityscape
Dieties and demigods
the SRD
a PDF file that contains the Knight and ONLY the Knight

so if you have any better ideas than a knight/fighter please let me here them.

dgnslyr
2010-12-13, 12:25 AM

hence
and AXE

oh well.

But but but... why are you trying to be Wallace when you can be OsWIN instead? Well, I guess there's the whole "personality" thing, but Wallace, of all generals? And in the game, I always thought the General stabs with a spear, which has a chain attached to it so he can't be disarmed as easily. The axe he most certainly throws, however.

big teej
2010-12-13, 11:37 AM
But but but... why are you trying to be Wallace when you can be OsWIN instead? Well, I guess there's the whole "personality" thing, but Wallace, of all generals? And in the game, I always thought the General stabs with a spear, which has a chain attached to it so he can't be disarmed as easily. The axe he most certainly throws, however.

because I like the name better... duh! :smallbiggrin:
the personality too

as far as the spear, to my eyes (admittedly this is years back) he lowered the chain and it was LAUNCHED at the enemy by some unseen mechanism (most likely hidden within the ginormic shoulrder guards) and then retracted by the chain....

I could be wrong though :smallsigh:

but regardless, thats the effect I was going for.

jguy
2010-12-13, 03:11 PM
Hmm, when I made a harpoon fighter my DM allowed me to use it as a melee weapon because it was like a really broad-headed spear. It isn't that broken since if they fail their reflex save they are stuck and you cannot use the Harpoon for further attacks.

Escheton
2010-12-13, 08:05 PM
It is actually, because it allows for enchantments such as fleshgrinding.
And if you use harpoons you should have at least 3 of em...
And quickdraw fixes the problem of not being able to full attack with them.

The axe and spear on a chain can be done by taking the Kusari-Gama(DMG,OA) and tweaking the visual effect a bit.

big teej
2010-12-14, 12:38 PM
The axe and spear on a chain can be done by taking the Kusari-Gama(DMG,OA) and tweaking the visual effect a bit.

assuming OA means "oriental adventures"

I'm afraid I don't have that book yet....

yet :smallamused:

Darrin
2010-12-14, 04:55 PM
Short Haft from PHB 2 is for polearms with reach and allows one to attack adjacent targets with them by expending a swift action to make it a non-reach weapon or back into a reach weapon. So strictly inferior to EWP: Spiked Chain. And not really applicable in this situation.

Shorten Grip (Dragon Compendium p. 108) is similar, but even better: -2 to attack, and you don't have to waste your swift action to use it that way.

Greenish
2010-12-14, 06:00 PM
assuming OA means "oriental adventures"Yes, and DMG means Dungeon Master's Guide.