PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure I'm the only one who doesn't get this... [Pathfinder]

Xegek
2010-12-11, 10:49 PM
Okay, so I was reading the pathfinder SRD (I don't have the actual books) and I'm a little confused about the alternate class options and archetypes. When you take an archetype, do you replace the normal feats and such gained with the ones of the same level for that archetype, or can you just pick and choose from all of them and the normal options, or what?

Assassin89
2010-12-11, 11:14 PM
I think you replace the normal feats and such gained with the ones of the same level. Look at what it says for Rogue.

Each archetype comes with one or more class features that must be taken.

Base on that statement, the same should apply for the other classes as well.

fireinakasha
2010-12-11, 11:57 PM
When a character selects a class, he must choose to use the standard class features found in the Core Rulebook or those listed in one of the archetypes presented here. ... When an archetype includes multiple class features, a character must take all of them—often blocking the character from ever gaining certain familiar class features, but replacing them with equally powerful options. All of the other class features found in the core class and not mentioned among the alternate class features remain unchanged and are acquired normally when the character reaches the appropriate level (unless noted otherwise). A character who takes an alternate class feature does not count as having the class feature that was replaced when meeting any requirements or prerequisites. A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature.

The SRD is a little unclear on it, but that's what the book says. Hope that helps :smallsmile:

qcbtnsrm
2010-12-12, 12:03 AM
You take the whole deal as a package. Most of the listed stuff you have to take, there are some things that you don't have to take... once you are used to the wording it should be clear.

If you take, for example, the swashbuckler archetype for rogue you get Martial Training (Ex) and Daring (Ex). Both of these are listed with a line like: "This ability replaces ___". So you never have a chance to get those replaced abilities, they are not class abilities instead you get the new abilities. But the talents and advanced talents are not required. They are simply suggestions of what might go well with the archetype and thus have this wording: "The following rogue talents complement the swashbuckler archetype".

Basically if it says "this replaces ___" you have to make the switch. If it says "this complements ___" it is a flavor recommendation.

bartman
2010-12-12, 09:55 AM
would you have to take all levels of a variant, or can you pick and choose your variant levels?

qcbtnsrm
2010-12-12, 11:30 PM
would you have to take all levels of a variant, or can you pick and choose your variant levels?

You have to take them all. From the APG:

When a character selects a class, he must choose to use the standard class features found in the Core Rulebook or those listed in one of the archetypes presented here...
...When an archetype includes multiple class features, a character must take all of them—often blocking the character from ever gaining certain familiar class features, but replacing them with equally powerful options...

You are locked into the version of the class you selected when you first take a level in it. If you took a variant for all intents and purposes the class is "re-written" with the variant rules. The original version of the class is blocked to you, as are all the other variants you did not take.

The APG goes on to talk about taking multiple varients. But you would have to choose to take them or not all on that first level (even if they don't modify anything until later levels). And they can't modify or replace any of the same abilities.

So in theory you could have any number of variants. In practice it isn't easy to have multiple archetypes, because they tend to replace the same class abilities. For example all of the rogue archetypes replace either trapfinding and trap sense, or uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge. So in practice as a rogue you could never have more than two variants (one to replace the "trap" abilities the other to replace the "dodge" abilities).