PDA

View Full Version : Hard Exercise Headaches

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 01:27 AM
I just did 25 push-ups and 50 sit-ups, taking a 25 second break every five "ups." And now I've got a splitting headache that makes me feel like my head is going to explode every time I breathe. This happens every time I do this kind of exercise, like crunches and stuff. What's going on?

Haruki-kun
2010-12-12, 01:48 AM
It happens when you're not used to exercising much. Are you?

Also: Are you keeping yourself properly hydrated?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 01:53 AM
It happens when you're not used to exercising much. Are you?
No. No, I'm not. I try to take a walk every day, but that's not really strenuous, and I haven't been able to take walks lately because of the cold and snow, which I hate even more than exercise.

No less hydrated than I normally am throughout the day. I've been drinking extra because of the cold I came down with this week though.

WarKitty
2010-12-12, 02:01 AM

Ditto. I get nasty headaches if I get dehydrated.

Edit: Did you increase the amount of water you drink during the day when you started exercising?

Lioness
2010-12-12, 03:45 AM
It's also possible that if you're not supporting your neck properly when doing sit ups, that it's being strained and being put in weird positions. That can create headaches.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 03:46 AM
I put a pillow under my head when I did them though. :smallconfused:

thubby
2010-12-12, 06:39 AM
try doing just one exercise and see if that gives you a headache. if it doesn't then try the other.
also, where is your headache? back, front, one side, both sides, temples, forehead?

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-12, 06:52 AM
It's also possible that if you're not supporting your neck properly when doing sit ups, that it's being strained and being put in weird positions. That can create headaches.

I'm also thinking along this line. When I was younger I had a hard time doing sit ups because I also got headaches. It stopped when I learned how to relax my neck muscles when doing them. The pillow might not help if you tense your neck muscles too much anyway. So just try to relax, that's my tip. Also, try not to bend your neck more than usual, begin with looking straight up, then just let the head follow your upper body as you rise.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-12, 11:18 AM
No. No, I'm not. I try to take a walk every day, but that's not really strenuous, and I haven't been able to take walks lately because of the cold and snow, which I hate even more than exercise.

Yeah, that's probably it. Nothing to be worried about.

No less hydrated than I normally am throughout the day. I've been drinking extra because of the cold I came down with this week though.

You need the extra when exercising.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 01:31 PM
try doing just one exercise and see if that gives you a headache. if it doesn't then try the other.
also, where is your headache? back, front, one side, both sides, temples, forehead?

My entire head. It feels like my brain's going to explode when I inhale.

Crow
2010-12-12, 01:40 PM
I always tuck my chin when I do sit-ups, so holding and supporting my neck is never a problem. But I've gotten something similar from pull-ups, and jumping rope believe it or not.

I was getting some nasty, and I mean debilitating headaches while exercising a little while back. At first I thought it may have been hydration, and then that maybe it was related to a supplement somebody had given me to try out.

It turns out, one of the muscles in my middle back was in spasm, which caused a tightness in the band that eventually stretches up the neck and all the way around to the forehead. Inhaling could trigger the pain as your chest and back expand for your lungs to fill, which places extra tension on the muscle/band.

Now I just keep it stretched out and I haven't had the headache problem again.

Dada
2010-12-12, 02:12 PM
Where do you keep your arms when doing the sit-ups? Doing sit-ups with the hands behind your head can put extra pressure on your neck and strain it, especially if you are not used to doing sit-ups and/or are not doing them correctly. I would recommend keeping your arms crossed over your chest, and see if that makes any difference.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 02:44 PM
Where do you keep your arms when doing the sit-ups? Doing sit-ups with the hands behind your head can put extra pressure on your neck and strain it, especially if you are not used to doing sit-ups and/or are not doing them correctly. I would recommend keeping your arms crossed over your chest, and see if that makes any difference.

When I do sit-ups, I have my arms across my chest, holding on to my shirt to keep them from moving.

Keld Denar
2010-12-12, 03:56 PM
Do you yawn a lot while working out? I do, and also get a mild headache. I've been told its due to lack of oxygen, which means I have issues breathing while working out. Do you breath properly, or do you hold your breath while you exert yourself? It can make a huge difference.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 10:21 PM
Do you yawn a lot while working out? I do, and also get a mild headache. I've been told its due to lack of oxygen, which means I have issues breathing while working out. Do you breath properly, or do you hold your breath while you exert yourself? It can make a huge difference.

Um, I think I hold my breath, yes. :smallsigh:

Amiel
2010-12-12, 10:28 PM
Could it also have something to do with imbalances in the fluid of your inner-ear canal?

A tension headache (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_headache), "as if the head was being squeezed in a vise" may be due to awkward or uncomfortable positioning coupled with bad posture, strain from muscles and joints working overtime, general stress, deprived sleep, dehydration et al.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-12, 10:36 PM
I'd say I've got every problem on that list. :smalleek:

Brother Oni
2010-12-13, 07:31 AM

That'd be part of the reason. Always exhale when you exert and inhale when you relax.

Have you been having this problem since you got your cold? Sometimes having a cold increases fluid levels in your sinuses, so when you move your head up and down, pressure increases, giving you the headache.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-13, 01:19 PM
That'd be part of the reason. Always exhale when you exert and inhale when you relax.

Have you been having this problem since you got your cold? Sometimes having a cold increases fluid levels in your sinuses, so when you move your head up and down, pressure increases, giving you the headache.

This has happened long before I ever had the cold.

Melayl
2010-12-13, 01:28 PM

Holding your breath while exerting yourself (exercising) can increase Intracrainial pressure(IICP) (the pressure in your skull). One of the many (and one of the first) symptoms of this is severe global headache. IICP can become dangerous, but likely not from just this small increase.

Try breathing in and out as relaxed as possible while you are exercising and see if that helps. If not, See A Doctor (standard disclaimer).

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-12-13, 06:11 PM
I'm gonna go with not breathing properly being the problem. But on the other hand, you could have an aneurysm about to burst. Which causes death very quickly. So... go see a doctor. In real life. For peace of mind, if nothing else.

(qualifier - the "Doc" in my screenname does not mean I really know what I'm talking about with aneurysms)

Ytaker
2010-12-13, 06:18 PM
You also need to keep your blood sugar level high. Low blood sugar levels can cause headaches.

Is it a heartbeat headache? Do you feel like blood is pounding through your head?

If you rub your neck after exercise, do you notice points of extreme pain on your neck? That would be head posture.