PDA

View Full Version : AC bonuses and Invisible Creatures

Silva Stormrage
2010-12-12, 03:21 AM
Some questions about AC and Invisible attackers.

Would a Monk who is caught off guard by an invisible creature lose his Monk ac bonus?

Are all insight bonuses to AC lost when the character loses his dexterity modifier to AC?

If all this is true than what would the character's touch ac always equal 10 +/- size modifiers when caught off-guard by invisible creatures? If not what bonuses would apply?

Temotei
2010-12-12, 03:29 AM
Would a Monk who is caught off guard by an invisible creature lose his Monk ac bonus?

No.

Are all insight bonuses to AC lost when the character loses his dexterity modifier to AC?

I don't think so. At least, I don't see any rules about it.

If all this is true than what would the character's touch ac always equal 10 +/- size modifiers when caught off-guard by invisible creatures? If not what bonuses would apply?

Deflection bonuses would apply for sure, as well as miscellaneous modifiers such as luck bonuses, profane bonuses, and sacred bonuses.

Runestar
2010-12-12, 03:32 AM
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

The monk keeps them even when caught flat-footed by an invisible foe. :smallsmile:

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-12, 03:36 AM
Monk AC bonus applies even when flat-footed.

Incorporeal attacks are not actually touch attacks. They're slam attacks. They just happen to ignore armor bonuses to AC.

Note also that Touch AC is not just 10 + Dex + size. Everything but shields and armor and natural armor bonuses apply to Touch AC.

AslanCross
2010-12-12, 06:20 AM
There are certain types of bonuses that are lost when a character is flat-footed or denied their Dex bonus. Mostly it's the dodge and Dex bonus to AC (naturally). Class bonuses (Ninja, monk, swordsage) typically are untyped or are insight bonuses and are not lost when flat-footed.

Greenish
2010-12-12, 07:11 AM
Note also that Touch AC is not just 10 + Dex + size. Everything but shields and armor and natural armor bonuses apply to Touch AC.There are also a couple of feats that allow you to apply shield AC to touch AC, a spell that allows you to add NA to touch AC and I think there might be an armour property for getting armour AC to touch AC, but I'm not sure about that last.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-12, 07:24 AM
I think there might be an armour property for getting armour AC to touch AC, but I'm not sure about that last.

It's called Ghost Ward. I don't remember which book it's in, but Magic Item Compendium would be the first place I'd look for it.

Greenish
2010-12-12, 07:37 AM
It's called Ghost Ward. I don't remember which book it's in, but Magic Item Compendium would be the first place I'd look for it.Right, it's in MIC, and it's probably what I was thinking off. It only allows the armour's/shield's enhancement bonus to apply to your touch AC, though.

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-12, 08:16 AM
...Pretty sure Ghost Ward only applies to incorporeal slam'touch' attacks.

Greenish
2010-12-12, 09:27 AM
...Pretty sure Ghost Ward only applies to incorporeal slam'touch' attacks.Ghost Ward says it applies "against touch attacks (including incorporeal touch attacks)."

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-12, 11:32 AM
Well that's just silly.

But okay.

Psyren
2010-12-12, 12:16 PM
Some insight bonuses are lost when you lose your Dex bonus to AC (e.g. Foresight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm).) The ability itself has to specify if this is the case however; the default is that you keep them.