PDA

View Full Version : Easy-Fake Oven

Hanuman
2010-12-12, 07:21 AM
So I'm looking to homebrew up a PC craftable construct using something like a bluff buff spell or Glibness in combination with Animate Fire or Prest. (for the heating of food, I feel like in a construct it could be amplified and joined with a few candle-sized flames) or the like to basically make an animated portable oven about the size of a toaster oven.

The downside is that the oven has the annoying habit of telling very believable and persuasive baking-related lies, and often fools people with promises of cake.

Anyone feel free to take stabs at this?

Iituem
2010-12-12, 12:50 PM
Let's assume we put aside the idea of why you would do this when you could just perform a conjuration enchantment on an ordinary oven and assume the mage performing this is perpetually drunk, stoned or insane. :smallwink:

Elemental Form

A 3rd level conjuration spell (Summon Monster III) allows you to summon a Small elemental of any type, but you really only need a Tiny elemental. If we treat binding a Tiny fire elemental as being an equivalent 2nd level spell, you're looking at a base price of 12,000gp (2nd level spell x 3rd level caster x 2,000gp). Bearing in mind that the utility of this item is extremely limited we can cut it down to 3/4 with a base price of 9000gp. This is quite pointless, but entertaining. Doesn't tell jokes, though.

Elemental Stove
This apparently ordinary stove contains a Tiny Fire Elemental that will assume a certain temperature on command, but no higher than that of a small forge. It is always hot.
Weak Conjuration, CL 3rd. Market price 9000gp.

Edit: I completely misunderstood your request. Nevermind!

Ordinary Spells

Alternately you can just adapt burning hands into a controlled fire set to go on command and stick ventriloquism into it, pre-programmed to say a few set phrases. If you want to make it intelligent, that's going into dangerous territory.

Magic Stove
This apparently ordinary stove lights on command and periodically spouts recipes in an attempt to get you to cook in it.
Weak Evocation, CL 1st. Requires burning hands, ventriloquism. Market Price 1800gp.

Cursed Stove
This stove resembles an ordinary magic stove, but instead of spouting convenient baking wisdom on demand it attempts to deceive the user with recipes that sound feasible but lead to disaster - or at least bad cooking.
Weak Evocation. Requires burning hands, ventriloquism. Market Price 5800gp.
Intelligent item. Wis 14, Cha 14, Int 10, Ego 7. Item has 10 ranks in Bluff, Profession(baking) and Profession(cooking). Speaks Common. Alignment Neutral Evil.

Ashtagon
2010-12-12, 02:13 PM
So I'm looking to homebrew up a PC craftable construct using something like a bluff buff spell or Glibness in combination with Animate Fire or Prest. (for the heating of food, I feel like in a construct it could be amplified and joined with a few candle-sized flames) or the like to basically make an animated portable oven about the size of a toaster oven.

The downside is that the oven has the annoying habit of telling very believable and persuasive baking-related lies, and often fools people with promises of cake.

Anyone feel free to take stabs at this?

So basically, what you are saying is, the cake is a lie?

Hanuman
2010-12-12, 07:57 PM
These are pretty good =]

Animate fire (druid1) is a safer alternative as the spell requires an existing fire so the oven would require to be lit before it could heat anything, which seems more symbiotic, though because it's druid only it kinda ruins the flavor and makes crafting tricky.

So basically, what you are saying is, the cake is a lie?
It's very possible, your cubic baking companion might propose a delicious fictional cake.