PDA

View Full Version : What greatly admired films would you like seeing a console game made for ?

KL70
2010-12-12, 09:17 AM
What greatly admired live action or animated film/s (that you're surprised doesn't yet have a console game done for it, or one was done, but it was extremely mediocre and hugely disappointing in your view) would you like seeing made into either a console game and please say why.

Rockphed
2010-12-20, 01:26 AM
Off the top of my head I can think of no movies that would be good video games. There are a couple movies that when I saw them I thought, "This idea would be fun to explore in a video game," but I cannot remember what they were.

A large part of the problem is that, though video games are movies both tell stories, they tell them in completely different ways. The one is linear, deterministic, and changes scenes according to the rules of drama, whereas the other is normally lateral, open-ended, and changes scenes according to the whims of the consumer. Thus, though it is possible to create a video game with the same plot as a movie, it requires either a bad movie or a bad video game or both. Aside from the length considerations(a good video game is 10 - 30 hours long, as opposed to 1.5 - 3 for a movie), there are also issues of information dispensation and a sense of control.

Which is not to say that it is impossible for a good movie to inspire a good video game. It is not possible to count on one hand the number of good Star Wars games, but just about none of them are simple retellings of the plot of the movies. In fact, most of the ones I have played and enjoyed were barely related to the films, instead building on the world hinted at by things like, "Back before the dark time. Before the empire."

chiasaur11
2010-12-20, 02:33 AM
The English Patient.

As an FPS.

I want to play as a loose cannon lone wolf SAS operative, hunting down the man who lead a Nazi unit through the desert. I want massive gun fights, destructable terrain, the works.

But, in the end, when you find the man you were looking for, he turns out to be a bed ridden invalid. What's more, he did it all for doomed love, and all according to his own moral code. You are left to ponder the morality of war.

And then you kill Almasy with a bazooka mid sentence and wisecrack over his rapidly cooling corpse. The credits are set to Motorhead's Ace of Spades.

Sipex
2010-12-20, 03:48 PM
Something set in the harry potter verse would be nice with much more exploration into the variety and complexity of spells.

AtwasAwamps
2010-12-20, 04:38 PM
Good movies would only suffer from having a video game made on them…NOT so good movies, on the other hand…

Let’s see…really…I’d love to play something set in the world of the movie Willow. Playing Mad Martigan or Sorcha on an unrelated adventure would be rather fun. Did they make an Underworld video game? It’s perfect for an action game set in the style of God of War or Darksiders.

Hrmmm…I Am Robot. I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit and thought it might be interesting to play as Will Smith’s character. It could be a fun mix of driving/combat/investigation.

Ooo, ooo. Deep Blue Sea. I wanna be the shark that eats Samuel L. Jackson. Even if that game was just five seconds and all you did was “Press X to Eat Samuel L. Jackson” I WOULD PLAY IT ALL THE TIME.

Brother Oni
2010-12-20, 06:47 PM
Let’s see…really…I’d love to play something set in the world of the movie Willow. Playing Mad Martigan or Sorcha on an unrelated adventure would be rather fun. Did they make an Underworld video game? It’s perfect for an action game set in the style of God of War or Darksiders.

There's actually a very old arcade board platformer of Willow, so not what you're looking for, but the game does exist.

I wouldn't mind a game based on Wong Fei Hung, or rather one of his pupils, set up like Jade Empire only with more historical accuracy.
It'd be interesting to explore the politics of the time and the clashing of old and new, thus rather than making the game a roaming beat-em-up with some rpg elements, it should be more like an investigative/roleplaying game with beat-em-up elements.
The reason why one of his pupils, rather than the master himself, it gives you the opportunity to choose your own path, which can end you up in conflict with Master Wong himself.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-20, 07:34 PM
Star Wars! Oh wait.

Lord of the Rings! Oh wait.

The Matrix! Oh wait.

This is hard. :smallannoyed:

In all seriousness, I'd love a properly executed The Butterfly Effect or Donnie Darko game. I have a thing for time travel.

Eldan
2010-12-20, 07:38 PM
Memento.

What do I win? :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-20, 07:41 PM
Hero, Fearless, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, the works.

I want to indulge my need for needless wire-fu and acrobatic fight scenes.

Fri
2010-12-20, 08:18 PM
The English Patient.

As an FPS.

I want to play as a loose cannon lone wolf SAS operative, hunting down the man who lead a Nazi unit through the desert. I want massive gun fights, destructable terrain, the works.

But, in the end, when you find the man you were looking for, he turns out to be a bed ridden invalid. What's more, he did it all for doomed love, and all according to his own moral code. You are left to ponder the morality of war.

And then you kill Almasy with a bazooka mid sentence and wisecrack over his rapidly cooling corpse. The credits are set to Motorhead's Ace of Spades.

Have I ever told you how much I admire you, chia?

Triaxx
2010-12-21, 07:19 PM
Enemy at the Gates! Oh right.

Actually, I think Independance Day, run on the Ace Combat engine style would be awesome.

thorgrim29
2010-12-21, 07:27 PM
Shawn of the Dead as a lighter Left4Dead would be pretty awesome IMO.

AtwasAwamps
2010-12-21, 07:49 PM
Memento.

What do I win? :smalltongue:

A headache

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-21, 08:01 PM
Hero, Fearless, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, the works.

I want to indulge my need for needless wire-fu and acrobatic fight scenes.
That would be epic.

Here's the thing that almost never gets well-explored with video games. It stinks to play a railroaded story. You're just playing through some scenes of the movie, and watching other scenes of the movie that don't convert into the game.

The strength of a videogame, though, is its world. Like in an RPG, exploring the world of the story is something that you can do in a videogame. The problem is, that cuts you out of the main storyline. But I don't know...maybe if you could get people who were interested in playing through events that ran parallel to the main plot...

You could even take the Visual Novel approach, and have more endings than just the Good Ending and the Bad Ending. You could have multiple of each. Problem is, you won't find many American companies who find the extra resource creation to merit the profit payoff.

elpollo
2010-12-21, 08:21 PM
Hrmmm…I Am Robot.

Will Smith is Colonel Detective Robert Spooner in I, Am Robot. Set in New Chigago in the year 2023.5, Spooner must survive being hunted by robot vampires, as well as solve the mystery of the the murder of his friend and mentor Alfred Lanning.

Don't forget his sidekick/pet Shia LeWoof.

Anyway, film game:

Shawshank Redemption - tunnel your way out of Shawshank over the course of 20 years!

Loki_42
2010-12-21, 09:30 PM
Don't want to derail the thread because this isn't a movie, but I've had this thought in my head for a while.

Elric of Melnibone: Just think, Elric has been doing what Kratos has since the '60's. It could just be a standard action game like God of War or Devil May Cry, with a level up mechanic for when Stormbringer drains enough souls. I think it would be fun.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-21, 09:52 PM
Twilight. As a violent fighting game in the style of Mortal Kombat.

Cute_Riolu
2010-12-21, 09:59 PM
Define greatly admired. :P (didn't read the OP)

Totally Super Mario Brothers. The movie. You know the one. :D

Mostly because it'd be utterly hilarious to play that travesty of the home theatre.

nooblade
2010-12-21, 10:54 PM
Rather than a film, a book. Starship Troopers. There were some important differences with the movie, like the situation I'm about to describe.

A spaceship-deployed dropship (teehe) is loaded with power armor equipped marines, then dispatches them in capsules from high altitude over a very wide LZ, along with a large amount of slag metal to cause radar interference and chaos for the humans defending a colony somewhere. Hopefully, defenses fire at the slag, and/or defenders are assigned to positions away from the actual marines. The idea is that the Mobile Infantry wouldn't stay for longer than 5-15 minutes (maybe less, I can't recall), use that entire time marauding around with jetpacks at breakneck speed toward their extraction point (the same dropship, maybe), dropping various bombs in both directions from a "Y"-shaped rack along with other explosives (rockets?), in order to eliminate many targets that an indiscriminate nuke would blow up along with civilians or something. Some Predator missile drones would be cheaper, but eh. Simulating a waste of money is fun.

I'm not sure if it should be an RTS or an FPS. Maybe both, like what I'm guessing that MAG game was, where some players do either role. Maybe a sci-fi version of Battlefield 1942. I dunno. Even single player vs multiplayer. Whatever has lots of adrenaline.

I'm just generally amazed by the videogame industry's failure to capture (or am I wrong here?) the kind of situation that Heinlein so easily described in a small part of his mostly politics-related sci-fi book. Plenty of things have taken away part of this experience, but then they shy away from the entire action. Especially since power armor is popular, why not go the rest of the way? Heinlein's vision for power armor marines holds a stark contrast with what we usually see of them in videogames, with the "spartan" attitudes (hold the line, quell the firefights, act like you're in a WW2 trench, etc.) dominating the latter. Even in games that have really "dark" exposition, the marines get treated with kid gloves.

Anyway. Did I rant too much? It's just sci-fi, it's highly unlikely to ever work out that way, but I would've like to see it play out in more than just a tiny part of one book.

Jenrock
2010-12-21, 11:20 PM
To mimic what others have said, this is more the world than the movie itself: Inception. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65760)

SmartAlec
2010-12-21, 11:23 PM
Serenity. Or, well, the Firefly series in general. It's Red Dead Redemption meets Wing Commander: Privateer. You cannot lose with that formula.

Another one! Highlander. Something in the vein of the Bushido Blade series. Really, this stuff writes itself.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-21, 11:27 PM
To mimic what others have said, this is more the world than the movie itself: Inception. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65760)

That's what I was going to suggest, actually, I'm not sure if Inception was 'greatly admired', but it'd make one heck of a puzzle-action-thriller game simply on the premise...sort of like Psychonauts meets The Matrix.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-21, 11:34 PM
Once upon a time, there were plans for a Firefly MMO. That was 4 or so years ago. Nothing since transpired. *tear*

That would truly be something I'd enjoy playing.

Xefas
2010-12-21, 11:36 PM
I'd kinda like to see a console game related to that movie, Advent Children. It seemed like a lot of the story was intentionally left out to make things mysterious, so it'd be cool to have a prequel-ish game where you find out how the main character first meets that brown haired girl who shows up at the end of the movie and everything (not to mention all those guys who randomly show up when blondie fights that dragon in the city).

Winthur
2010-12-22, 02:05 AM
Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny.

"...deactivated lasers with my [Richard]!
...now it's time to blow this *beep* dooooown!"

dsmiles
2010-12-23, 11:43 AM
I don't know if it's greatly admired, but a Steamboy-esque game would be pretty awesome.

tarbrush
2010-12-25, 03:52 PM
Serenity. Or, well, the Firefly series in general. It's Red Dead Redemption meets Wing Commander: Privateer. You cannot lose with that formula.

Another one! Highlander. Something in the vein of the Bushido Blade series. Really, this stuff writes itself.

See, I think you could also do Firefly in a very old school way by doing it as a Baldur's Gate/Fallout style isometric RPG. Cause there's very little actual space combat in Firefly, except for the climactic battle at the end of Serenity, and even then the PCs/protagonists aren't fighting. So, the spaceship could be like the car in Fallout, or travel in BG. Cause really, the bulk of the action is a small party doing cool things.

And being Big Damn Heroes. Or evil villains. Just like FO/BG.

Plus it'd be easy to make, and I suspect that you could shoehorn in approximately a billion shout outs and in jokes.

About the only thing it'd struggle with is the expedition into Reaver space.

Rhydeble
2010-12-26, 05:29 AM
I geuss that if you count movie-of-the-book's, I'd choose for the Bourne trilogy. It'd play like a shooter/stealth game where people are also trying to sneak up on you, and the plot sounds interesting to puzzle together yourself by finding different documents.

Otogi
2010-12-26, 07:04 AM
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World would be pretty awesome.

JabberwockySupafly
2010-12-26, 07:17 AM
I geuss that if you count movie-of-the-book's, I'd choose for the Bourne trilogy. It'd play like a shooter/stealth game where people are also trying to sneak up on you, and the plot sounds interesting to puzzle together yourself by finding different documents.

They kinda already did that. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ludlum%27s_The_Bourne_Conspiracy)

Not exactly what you described, but apparently it's a pretty good game. I always meant to pick it up, never did. Should scrounge around for an el-cheapo pre-owned sometime and give it a go.

My contribution to this collection?

Equilibrium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29). Play as a Tetragrammaton Cleric (not necessarily John Preston, mind you) in a third-person action/adventure game ala Red Faction Guerilla/Red Dead Redemption. where your decisions affect the outcome. Side with the Tetragrammaton Council, continue taking your Prozium and enforce the laws of Father, ensuring peace at the cost of free will, or side with the Underground and bring back freedom of mind but ensuring the world will fall back into chaos. Gun Kata would probably be similar to Dead Eye from RDR (time slows down to a crawl while you position your shots and choose your character's stance for a period of time that would increase due to your character's proficiency).

...Yes, I've discussed this before with people.

EDIT:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World would be pretty awesome.

They did that one already too. And It. Is. Awesome. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World:_The_Game)

The Glyphstone
2010-12-26, 11:10 AM
My contribution to this collection?

Equilibrium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29). Play as a Tetragrammaton Cleric (not necessarily John Preston, mind you) in a third-person action/adventure game ala Red Faction Guerilla/Red Dead Redemption. where your decisions affect the outcome. Side with the Tetragrammaton Council, continue taking your Prozium and enforce the laws of Father, ensuring peace at the cost of free will, or side with the Underground and bring back freedom of mind but ensuring the world will fall back into chaos. Gun Kata would probably be similar to Dead Eye from RDR (time slows down to a crawl while you position your shots and choose your character's stance for a period of time that would increase due to your character's proficiency).

...Yes, I've discussed this before with people.

Oh, and graphical changes depending on what your course of action is...when you're on Prozium, stuff should look/be colored subtly different. Maybe you can only see colors off Prozium, or something.

Dienekes
2010-12-26, 12:22 PM
Already done, but I want it to be done better would be Godfather. It may be a slow game, but hell, I want to order a hit on someone.

I would also buy Brazil the video game no matter how bad it turns out.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly would be a great game. Or I could just get Red Dead Redemption, either way works.

For a hilarious game that would either be completely boring or completely miss the concept of the movie, I want to play Rear Window. Epic final battle where all you can do is take pictures. It'd be great.

Ground Hog Day. Where the first half of the game you get points in creating the most hilarious and original ways to die.

Cogwheel
2010-12-26, 12:24 PM
Let’s see…really…I’d love to play something set in the world of the movie Willow.

Better yet? Do the Darksiders-esque game you mentioned, only based on a novel. A very similarly-named novel.

I refer, of course, to Wind in the Willows.
http://www.borderlandsbooks.com/images/books/24140_669.jpg

The Glyphstone
2010-12-26, 01:16 PM
Better yet? Do the Darksiders-esque game you mentioned, only based on a novel. A very similarly-named novel.

I refer, of course, to Wind in the Willows.
http://www.borderlandsbooks.com/images/books/24140_669.jpg

Okay, I looked at the plate Toad/Frog is holding in the lower-right corner and thought it was a pistol at first.

Cogwheel
2010-12-26, 01:19 PM
Okay, I looked at the plate Toad/Frog is holding in the lower-right corner and thought it was a pistol at first.

It's a pistol plate.

The best kind of plate. And pistol. First, you try to eat off it. And if that doesn't work? Use more gun.

chiasaur11
2010-12-26, 05:30 PM
They did that one already too. And It. Is. Awesome. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World:_The_Game)

True. Man, I need to play that more.

Psyren
2010-12-26, 06:20 PM
Thirding Inception. The best part is, you can make a great Inception game without any of the characters/plot from the movie and still have it be unmistakably Inception.

I'm not sure if Inception was 'greatly admired'

It's a safe bet (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inception/) :smallwink:

Seconding Equilibrium as well, though I would model Gun Kata using something similar to Fallout's VATS system.

warty goblin
2010-12-26, 08:01 PM
Seconding Equilibrium as well, though I would model Gun Kata using something similar to Fallout's VATS system.

No. Gun Kata is about rapid movement and skillful positioning. VATS is about hitting a button and waiting for the invisible dice to stop rolling.

A better approach would be a riff on the idea of earning bullet time. You'd have a gauge that gave a second or two slo-mo, and every kill made before it expires gives you more while taking hits empties the gauge faster. While in slo-mo you would see the firing lines of enemies, and so be able to evade their fire, and your guns would be extremely accurate, and you would move at nearly a normal pace.

Thus a skilled player could enter an engagement, snap into Kata mode, get a quick headshot or two, move out of the remaining enemies' kill zones, and pick the rest off without ever getting hit or leaving bullet time. A less adroit gamer might take some damage, be repeatedly knocked out of Kata Mode and have to retreat and recharge several times.

Otogi
2010-12-26, 08:21 PM

Oh no, I totally know about that one. I was thinking more of a Devil May Cry/Dynasty-style Warriors Hack 'n Slash based on the actual movie, mixing the effects of Ghostbusters and 3D Dot Heroes.

SmartAlec
2010-12-26, 08:59 PM
A better approach would be a riff on the idea of earning bullet time. You'd have a gauge that gave a second or two slo-mo, and every kill made before it expires gives you more while taking hits empties the gauge faster. While in slo-mo you would see the firing lines of enemies, and so be able to evade their fire, and your guns would be extremely accurate, and you would move at nearly a normal pace.

This sounds like the bullet-time mechanic from Max Payne.

warty goblin
2010-12-26, 11:01 PM
This sounds like the bullet-time mechanic from Max Payne.

I make very few claims to originality here, but it certainly fits the feel of Gun Kata better than VATS does. Ideally of course one could make the game play like the movie looks, which is to say at essentially real time, but I really don't see a way to make that playable.

Triaxx
2010-12-27, 07:24 AM
VATS did what it was designed to do, bring an Isometric combat mechanic into a 3D world, and it did so admirably.

But instead of speeding up the player in your example, you'd slow down the world. The enemies, the guns, the bullets. While the player goes at normal speed. But, I think it's something you'd have to have Kinect for, because there's no other way to control it properly. Unless you have a controller with three or four extra control sticks.