PDA

View Full Version : Bored of D&D. Game suggestions?

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-12, 11:46 AM
Basically what it says on the tin, every D&D discussion is a repeat, every character I make is a rehash of another character I've done before. Every game goes the same way. The Improved Monster classes reignited my passion for a while, but they too have lost their novelty.

Online is my only option, no local gaming opportunities. What other games can people recommend, and where's a good place to play them?

Thanks in advance,
K-B

Eldan
2010-12-12, 11:50 AM
Whenever we got bored of D&D, we played something silly as a one-shot. Gamma World, Paranoia, Everyone is John, basically something simple to learn, quickly done and silly.

Jallorn
2010-12-12, 11:53 AM
You could go bigger: Exalted.

Or more mundane with GURPS, or D20 Modern/Past.

Or maybe you want some sci-fi? How about SWS, or GURPS, or D20 Future?

Scarey Nerd
2010-12-12, 11:58 AM
Witchcraft if you want something completely new. d20 system, playing as Witches in the modern day. And one of the basic races is a telepathic cat. :smallcool:

If you want something silly and easy, Risus. Just need a handful of d6's, a piece of paper and a pocketful of dreams.

hangedman1984
2010-12-12, 12:01 PM
Witchcraft if you want something completely new. d20 system, playing as Witches in the modern day. And one of the basic races is a telepathic cat. :smallcool:

There is a witchcraft d20? the version i have is unisystem

daxos232
2010-12-12, 12:02 PM
You could try RuneQuest 2 by Mongoose Publishing. Everyone I know found it a refreshing change of pace to D&D.

Traveller, by the same company, is also pretty good.

Scarey Nerd
2010-12-12, 12:02 PM
There is a witchcraft d20? the version i have is unisystem

Oops, I always forget it's unisystem, I've just always used it with a d20 system to make my life easier, 'cos I hate learning new systems. Apologies for my misleading statement :smallsmile:

EDIT:
Traveller, by the same company, is also pretty good.

I've never played Traveller, but a friend of mine has and says it's the most fun he's ever had when playing a TTRPG bar none.

valadil
2010-12-12, 12:03 PM
When I need a break from D&D I prefer something that isn't medieval fantasy. World of Darkness and Shadowrun were my fallbacks for quite a while, but I'm becoming a big fan of Dresden Files RPG as well. Deadlands is also fantastic, but you really need the right group for it. It's not a system you want to half ass.

Yet another option if you're bored of D&D is to switch sides of the table. Run a game if you've never done that before.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-12, 12:05 PM
D&D is just a set of rules applied to a story for me. Stories can be bloody well anything. If all your characters are the same, it's got nothing to do with D&D.

If you always make the same type of characters then find a setting, or like I've done, write a new setting where that type of character makes no sense, forcing you to make a new one.

Maybe try entering the Iron Optimization contests. They encourage a great variety of character concepts. One of my favorite characters ever I managed to get from a Green Star Adept. After that, practically any other classes will be easy.

Or write up a story, then apply class to it. Don't worry about being powerful, just what makes an awesome character to play.

Totally Guy
2010-12-12, 12:48 PM
Online is my only option, no local gaming opportunities. What other games can people recommend, and where's a good place to play them?

You're only one city away from me. How about I come over sometime and I'll show you Mouse Guard or Burning Wheel. They are decidedly smaller scale adventure situations. The focus is not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Chambers
2010-12-12, 12:48 PM
What VT said.

Or just stop playing for a while. Invest time in other hobbies and eventually you'll get the urge to play again. Except this time it'll hopefully be because you've got a really cool idea for a character that you want to try and a story hook that you'd like to see developed.

In other words, don't force it. If you're not enjoying playing, then don't play.

Dairun Cates
2010-12-12, 12:53 PM
Throwing it into the pot here, but there's also Risus (super simple, super flexible, super fun, super free) (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm), In Nomine (although, the books are a pain to find), Pirates vs. Ninjas (my own personal over-the-top 2d6 system that's in beta testing right now), (www.pvnrpg.com) or literally dozens of other systems depending on what you feel like. There's a system for a LOT of things... Even role-playing as an anime maid if that's your thing. (http://maidrpg.com/)

Mooch
2010-12-12, 04:49 PM
I am currently playing Deathwatch RPG in the Warhammer 40k universe. I would suggest it as long as you don't hate space marines with a passion.

turkishproverb
2010-12-12, 04:55 PM
If you can find it: Ghostbusters.

Totally Guy
2010-12-12, 05:03 PM
If you can find it: Ghostbusters.

I've got a copy of InSpectres on my shelf. That's a pretty similar concept.

Optimator
2010-12-12, 05:03 PM
Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Ed. and Star Wars Saga Edition are my favorites.

fireinakasha
2010-12-12, 05:04 PM
Mage: The Ascension.

You will never run out of original character concepts.

Like, ever.

(it's a classless system, with game mechanics based on the character fluff you provide; ergo, two characters with the exact same stats can play completely differently)

turkishproverb
2010-12-12, 05:05 PM
I've got a copy of InSpectres on my shelf. That's a pretty similar concept.

It's a fairly similar rules set too. Still, the actual Ghostbusters game is well worth owning, if you can find it without paying in the triple digits.

true_shinken
2010-12-12, 05:17 PM
If you can find it... White Wolf's Street Fighter the Storytelling Game. It's one of my favourite games, ever. I'm a huge Street Fighter geek and it was published here in Brazil using official Capcom illustrations instead of WW's poor art, so it probably has something to do with that but... Great combat system, very different from D&D and it's Street Fighter.
Street. Frakking. Fighter.

Pink
2010-12-12, 05:54 PM
Another vote for Inspectres (http://www.memento-mori.com/inspectres/).

Gralamin
2010-12-12, 05:58 PM
Something a bit more out there: Silhouette (by Dreampod 9) is a system built with some very different decisions then D&D, and a lot of OGL version of their content which makes it quite easy to learn.

Aron Times
2010-12-12, 06:57 PM
I recommend the (New) World of Darkness + Vampire: The Requiem.

IronWilliam
2010-12-12, 07:14 PM
Have you tried playing some homebrew classes? That could help.:smallamused:

BobTheDog
2010-12-12, 07:22 PM
In Nomine

I second this one, and would like to point out that the core PDFs are sold from SJgames website. If you don't mind not having the physical books, of course.

J.Gellert
2010-12-12, 08:07 PM
Nothing new to add, just another vote for World of Darkness or Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition, depending on mood. :smallsmile:

ken-do-nim
2010-12-12, 10:43 PM
Have you tried DMing D&D? I've never gotten bored creating scenarios.

Cristo Meyers
2010-12-12, 10:47 PM
Personally I've found Paranoia great for just letting everything loose when you've hit gaming overload. It's just great for unwinding.

Though I think VT hit it when he pointed out that the problem isn't a system, it's probably RPGing in general. Just a break overall would probably do more to help than finding a new system.

Amiel
2010-12-12, 10:48 PM
I would actually suggest taking a break from the game, at least for a while, and reigniting your imagination through stories, novels or other media.
Reading, I find, is the one of the best ways to breathing new life in same-old concepts and you may find you'll be able to come up with entirely new ideas.