PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Poison Question

Crow
2010-12-12, 02:53 PM
When enemies that can poison their targets hit, do multiple doses of poison stack?

For instance, if a spider bites Bob the Wizard and he fails his save, he takes his 1d2 STR damage immediately. If he gets bit again and fails his save again, does he take another immediate 1d2 STR? If so, does he take multiple d2 STR secondary damage, or just 1d2?

WinWin
2010-12-12, 03:05 PM
each poison attack must be saved against seperately. each attack also deals secondary damage that must be saved against 1 minute later.

they stack, which is why poisons that damage constitution suck.

Crow
2010-12-12, 03:08 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

jguy
2010-12-12, 03:11 PM
I suggest using Dex damage poison. It is insidious. Since it doesn't hurt most peoples ability to attack, unless they are finessing weapons, they might not try to get it healed right away, but in the long run it hurts badly. They have a lower initiative score, lower reflex saves, and they take a hit to their armor class.

Greenish
2010-12-12, 03:17 PM
I suggest using Dex damage poison. It is insidious. Since it doesn't hurt most peoples ability to attack, unless they are finessing weapons,When my character is fighting someone, I tend to prefer methods that stop the enemy from caving my poor character's head in now.

elonin
2010-12-12, 03:21 PM
For the most part I've considered poisons to only be rarely worth it. They cost too much for what they do.

Akal Saris
2010-12-12, 03:38 PM
Yeah - buying poisons over-the-counter in D&D is a pretty poor proposition most of the time. But if you either craft it yourself with the materials at hand, or can use magic to create it, then it's a solid strategy. But that does take planning generally.

jguy
2010-12-12, 03:56 PM
When my character is fighting someone, I tend to prefer methods that stop the enemy from caving my poor character's head in now.

Sorry, I should have said that for DM's, Dex poison is the best to use. Con damage freaks everyone out and Strength damage is very obvious to the fighters.

DarkEternal
2010-12-12, 05:17 PM
Is it the same with PC's? Say, Horace, the friendly neighbourhood ranger uses archery and pops some high level toxin arrows into an enemy(let's say something with a pretty high DC. In our campaign we found some gigantic scorpion venom with a save DC of 22 Fort or off goes 1d6 Con). Could he, with his full attack being some odd 5 arrows or so with Rapid Shot make the enemy have to save five times or basically suffer 5d6 Con damage?

holywhippet
2010-12-12, 05:50 PM
Assuming all 5 arrows hit then yes, scorpion poison is injury based so any wound with a treated arrow requires the target to save. Of course, you'd need 5 doses of the poison - one per arrow. He'd also need to risk the 5% chance of poisoning himself when he applies it to each arrow and the reflex save if he rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll.

There's also the question of alignment - using poison is a clearly evil act.

balistafreak
2010-12-12, 05:54 PM
There's also the question of alignment - using poison is a clearly evil act.

Only according to Wizards, but let's not get into that. Again. :smallannoyed: