PDA

View Full Version : A horrible idea

martianmister
2010-12-12, 05:00 PM
Kazumi and her baby/babies...

will be killed in action during a war between Azurites and Goblins or Elves. Her husband will be killed as well or commit suicide by revealing his full name.

Leecros
2010-12-12, 05:01 PM
Kazumi and her baby/babies...

will be killed in action during a war between Azurites and Goblins or Elves. Her husband will be killed as well or making suicide by revealing his full name.

Your ideas?

why would Kazumi's baby be on the front lines of a war?

squiremarcus
2010-12-12, 05:03 PM
why would Kazumi's baby be on the front lines of a war?

presumably because it would still be unborn

G-Man Graves
2010-12-12, 05:03 PM
What is making suicide?

martianmister
2010-12-12, 05:05 PM
What is making suicide?

It means commit suicide in engrish language...

Leecros
2010-12-12, 05:07 PM
presumably because it would still be unborn

why would a pregnant kazumi be on the front lines?

I'd imagine if there was any major fighting she'd be a fair priority to be moved to safety

martianmister
2010-12-12, 05:10 PM
why would a pregnant kazumi be on the front lines?

I'd imagine if there was any major fighting she'd be a fair priority to be moved to safety

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/martianmister/pregnant.jpg

It's give me the idea :smallsmile: that would be both tragic and ironic...

ThePhantasm
2010-12-12, 07:06 PM
This isn't even a theory. It isn't based in anything. It is just a random "what if" idea.

An Enemy Spy
2010-12-12, 07:09 PM
"Wait a minute! I have an idea! What if we sent all of our pregnant women out to fight the enemy on the front line? It's the last thing they'd expect!"

"You're fired."

Dr.Epic
2010-12-12, 07:13 PM
That'd be unnecessarily dark.

G-Man Graves
2010-12-12, 07:17 PM
Unless Rich has randomly been possessed by J.K. Rowling, I don't think he'll go out of his way to sadistically minor characters.

BridgeCity
2010-12-12, 07:56 PM
I quite like the idea of Kazumi and her unborn child being killed. Maybe not on the frontline of a seige because, as has been pointed out, there is no reason for her to be there, but perhaps in an attack while fleeing or something similar.

I'd like to see how Diago reacts, how it affects his character and his actions. It would be interesting to see how Rich would handle such a situation.

This isn't even a theory. It isn't based in anything. It is just a random "what if" idea.

This isn't constructive or useful, and doesn't add anything to the discussion. I don't see why you deemed it neccessary to post, only to nitpick something so unimportant.

ThePhantasm
2010-12-12, 08:28 PM
This isn't constructive or useful, and doesn't add anything to the discussion. I don't see why you deemed it neccessary to post, only to nitpick something so unimportant.

This discussion can't really go anywhere other than "yeah that's a cool idea" or "no it isn't." Its all purely hypothetical. There isn't much to discuss.

And yes, my comment was constructive - a constructive critique. The title of the thread claims it has a theory. Then the theory is no more than random baseless speculation. No reason is even given for the speculation, not even "this would be cool" or "here is why I think this should happen." No reason whatsoever. It is just "so-and-so will die. Your ideas?"

Not everything has to be a praise to be constructive. I'm saying don't call it a theory if it isn't. It isn't nitpicking. Since the post only states a hypothetical, I was going off of the title of the thread to tell me what the thread was supposedly about. "A theory." Then I critiqued that subject. I critiqued it as a theory because that is what the OP called it; as a "theory" it has no foundation, so it isn't a good theory. In fact, it isn't a theory at all. That's why I deemed it necessary to post.

"Wait a minute! I have an idea! What if we sent all of our pregnant women out to fight the enemy on the front line? It's the last thing they'd expect!"

"You're fired."

That'd be unnecessarily dark.

Unless Rich has randomly been possessed by J.K. Rowling, I don't think he'll go out of his way to sadistically minor characters.

Exactly.

This is just random off-the-wall speculation. Not a theory, no matter how "horrible" (and I think the horribleness referred to the events, not the theory itself).

G-Man Graves
2010-12-12, 09:28 PM

The irony of you critiquing a post of another person critiquing a post, especially considering the basis of said post's argument is almost as staggering as the fact that you seem to believe that throwing unnecessary angst upon a minor character is in any way important.

BridgeCity
2010-12-12, 09:41 PM
This discussion can't really go anywhere other than "yeah that's a cool idea" or "no it isn't." Its all purely hypothetical. There isn't much to discuss.

And yes, my comment was constructive - a constructive critique. The title of the thread claims it has a theory. Then the theory is no more than random baseless speculation. No reason is even given for the speculation, not even "this would be cool" or "here is why I think this should happen." No reason whatsoever. It is just "so-and-so will die. Your ideas?"

Not everything has to be a praise to be constructive. I'm saying don't call it a theory if it isn't. It isn't nitpicking. Since the post only states a hypothetical, I was going off of the title of the thread to tell me what the thread was supposedly about. "A theory." Then I critiqued that subject. I critiqued it as a theory because that is what the OP called it; as a "theory" it has no foundation, so it isn't a good theory. In fact, it isn't a theory at all. That's why I deemed it necessary to post.

This is just random off-the-wall speculation. Not a theory, no matter how "horrible" (and I think the horribleness referred to the events, not the theory itself).

I'd love for you to point to where, in my post, I say that only praise can be constructive. That would be a horribly silly thing to say. My objection is to the fact that, clearly, the wrong use of the word theory is unimportant to the idea that the OP wished to discuss, and you were therefore fixating on a minor mistake instead of the actual intended point of the thread.

The irony of you critiquing a post of another person critiquing a post, especially considering the basis of said post's argument is almost as staggering as the fact that you seem to believe that throwing unnecessary angst upon a minor character is in any way important.

Critiquing a critique is not ironic, it's called a discussion. As for the minor character point, that is an entirely subjective thing. I happen to believe that the development and treatment of minor characters adds wealth to a story, so yes, throwing angst at them can be important. It would, to me, be a pretty bland story if the only people that felt developed or utilised were the main cast.

Diago was important enough to throw happiness at, his marraige and his noble status, so it makes no sense to say that he is too minor a character for angst or sadness to be thrown at him.

martianmister
2010-12-12, 10:00 PM

It's a legimite theory about future of Kazumi and her pregnancy plot. And a possible turn of events if you think about her character and some "hints" about Daigo and Kazumi's roles in the big story.

The MunchKING
2010-12-12, 10:37 PM
It's a legimite theory about future of Kazumi and her pregnancy plot.

A theroy requires evidence. If it were merely a guess as to how it would work that fit the examined data it would be a hypothesis. As it is in fact neither and meets no standard of evidence a more appropriate description would be "speculation".

G-Man Graves
2010-12-12, 10:55 PM
It's a legimite theory about future of Kazumi and her pregnancy plot. And a possible turn of events if you think about her character and some "hints" about Daigo and Kazumi's roles in the big story.

Can you link us to a single one of those hints?

martianmister
2010-12-13, 07:26 AM
Can you link us to a single one of those hints?

1. They was "redshirts" but suddenly evolved to recurring characters and fandom began to "care" about them. Their death will be shocking and tragic if they would killed in such a horrible fashion.

2. And this poster would be tragicomical and ironic if my "speculation" turns to be true:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/martianmister/pregnant.jpg

3. This poster also confirms her willingness to combat in despite of her pregnancy...

ThePhantasm
2010-12-13, 07:42 AM
1. They was "redshirts" but suddenly evolved to recurring characters and fandom began to "care" about them. Their death will be shocking and tragic if they would killed in such a horrible fashion.

They were redshirts, that is true, but they are no longer. You second statement, that their death would be tragic, is also true, but not a proof of your so-called "theory," just a statement. It would also be tragic if the whole Order of the Stick was slaughtered. That isn't going to happen though. :smallwink:

2. And this poster would be tragicomical and ironic if my "speculation" turns to be true:

This isn't a proof.

And how would those posters / tshirts make money if the character was destroyed? :smallconfused: That would actually make the whole point of the tshirt null and void. I doubt Rich will just kill some merchandise like that to be "ironic." He has better things to be doing with his story.

3. This poster also confirms her willingness to combat in despite of her pregnancy...

Yes, featuring a scene which we ALREADY SAW. That doesn't mean it will ever happen again.

So first we have a "theory" that isn't a theory and then "proofs" that aren't proofs. :smallannoyed: I just hope my above critique can be considered "constructive" enough. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, I noticed in your original post you said Daigo die or commit suicide by "revealing his full name." But his full name is being saved to later SAVE his life, not END it. So this also makes no sense.

TheBST
2010-12-13, 08:08 AM
Not sure what that'd add to the story, other than being unnecessarily depressing.

BridgeCity
2010-12-13, 09:23 AM
. . .Also, I noticed in your original post you said Daigo die or commit suicide by "revealing his full name." But his full name is being saved to later SAVE his life, not END it. So this also makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure he means that Diago's name will be used or mentioned at some point, either deliberately or accidentally, and therefore won't be able to be used again in a situation that leads to his death.

Makes perfect sense, it's just not likely.

Swordpriest
2010-12-13, 10:04 AM
I know I'm not being "constructive", but this is a "theory" in the same way that saying "it would be horrible if Eugene Greenhilt were reincarnated as a bugbear, became one of the OotS world's foremost serial killers, and ate the first three children of Roy and Celia. Discuss!"

I can make "theories" like that all day. However, the only thing that I can see that separates them from spam is the fact that the OP appears to genuinely think that they have a theory, rather than just flooding out whatever random stuff comes to mind.

Nevertheless, I concur that there is no real theory here to discuss; no evidence to support it or deny it, and therefore nothing on which to base a discussion; and therefore, there seems to be no idea and no point to starting this thread, at all. And I sincerely hope we won't see any more of these "theories" in the future.

BridgeCity
2010-12-13, 10:18 AM
I know I'm not being "constructive", but this is a "theory" in the same way that saying "it would be horrible if Eugene Greenhilt were reincarnated as a bugbear, became one of the OotS world's foremost serial killers, and ate the first three children of Roy and Celia. Discuss!"

I can make "theories" like that all day. However, the only thing that I can see that separates them from spam is the fact that the OP appears to genuinely think that they have a theory, rather than just flooding out whatever random stuff comes to mind.

Again, I feel you have fixated on the wrong part of the OPs message.

If you read the rest of their posts it is clear they do not have a full grasp on the english language, so the use of the word theory is most likely a mistake.

So yes, that makes it speculation, and the OP asks for other people's ideas based on their speculation. You admit that the OP seems to genuinely believe in or have an actual interest in the idea they are putting forward, therefore making the post not spam, but then say they should not be allowed to discuss this idea with people. In a forum dedicated to discussing the comic? That's just odd.

Nevertheless, I concur that there is no real theory here to discuss; no evidence to support it or deny it, and therefore nothing on which to base a discussion; and therefore, there seems to be no idea and no point to starting this thread, at all. And I sincerely hope we won't see any more of these "theories" in the future.

We are not discussing if the theory is viable, as I've said I believe the word theory was mistaken for another meaning. The point of the thread, and what is being discussed here, is our thoughts on the idea the OP has put forward, see the last line of the original post to see that that is what the OP wanted.

If this thread annoys you so much, I suggest just not posting in it. You don't have to come in here and read it, no one is forcing you to. There are people in here who actually want to discuss the rammifications and implications of the idea the OP put forward, so why not let them?

Jay R
2010-12-13, 03:16 PM
The problem with this theory is that you left the theory part out.

Perhaps "I have a theory that X army is headed for the island the Azurites are on, for the following reasons. Therefore the Azurites will be overwhelmed by a large army, requiring all their warriors. It would follow that ...."

Or maybe, "I have a theory that the story is slowly getting much darker, and is intended to show the horrors of war. One way this might happen is if ...."

Those would be theories. They would require evidence to become supported theories, but there would be some theoretical underpinnings. But this "theory" is as empty of theoretical considerations as "I have a theory that comic 857 will occur underground."

martianmister
2010-12-13, 03:47 PM
English is my second language. So if theory is the wrong term, I'll change it to idea. Okay?

About my "idea", we know Kazumi and her husband are "major" recurring characters. Every character in OOTS have some purpose on the story, in some way. If we going with this, there must be something for them as well. What could happen? I can't see their seperated from each other. So, we have two way for their storyline:

1. They will live till the end and have a happy ending.

2. They will die at some point in the story.

My point is: Second way is more in line with Giant's writing still. We even had some hints toward this:

1. Their "redshirt" origins...
2. Kazumi's courage and willingness to fight...
3. Gags about their possible deaths...
4. And Giant really likes black comedy and irony tropes...

It's my "idea" and speculation. You can accept or disapprove it. If that's not acceptable for a thread, then you can lock it or delete it...

BridgeCity
2010-12-13, 03:53 PM
English is my second language. So if theory is the wrong term, I'll change it to idea. Okay?

About my "idea", we know Kazumi and her husband are "major" recurring characters. Every character in OOTS have some purpose on the story, in some way. If we going with this, there must be something for them as well. What could happen? I can't see their seperated from each other. So, we have two way for their storyline:

1. They will live till the end and have a happy ending.

2. They will die at some point in the story.

As I said before, I hope that one of them dies. I would really like to see how this would play out in the OOTS universe, and how the surviving character would react or change.

Scarlet Knight
2010-12-13, 06:05 PM

"You're fired."

"No, no! Hear me out,sir! When is a woman most ferocious? When defending their young! When are they the next most ferocious? When they're hormonal! We get the worse of both! Those goblins won't have a chance!"

"You know, I've changed my mind, you're not fired."

"Thank you, sir."

"You're going to tell my wife your plan."

"Noooooo!"

Goosefarble
2010-12-13, 07:02 PM
Wait, how would Daigo's admitting his full name make him commit suicide? Isn't that supposed to preserve his life?

martianmister
2010-12-13, 07:04 PM
Wait, how would Daigo's admitting his full name make him commit suicide? Isn't that supposed to preserve his life?

He spend it...

Goosefarble
2010-12-13, 07:07 PM
Oh, I see. Well it depends. If it's an emergency it'll probably make him survive it, but then he might die later on. And let's face it, he's probably going to die at some point.