PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Trying to Break a wizard.

maysarahs
2010-12-12, 06:41 PM
my Dm recently said that celerity as an immediate action is too powerful, and won't allow it. Instead, he agreed to let me change my spellbook a little because of the spontaneous ban. In a gesture of petulance, and for a bit of a laugh, I was wondering any other spells I could learn (levels 0-5) that give Dm's a run for their money. We can use any 3.5 book (I have most of them, except for setting specific ones) and core pathfinder.

Specific spells not allowed:
Shivering Touch
The Celerity line

I am a 10th level Generalist wizard, most worthwhile prestige classes are banned because the DM is convinced I will break them

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-12-12, 06:53 PM
Gee, I wonder why your DM is convinced you will break things :smallamused:

He's being sporting about the ban of one of the most powerful level 4 spells in the game, and you're going to take his gesture and twist it to do exactly what he doesn't want you to do? I hope it's for laughs...

I'm not a PF expert, so I'm not sure if Draconic Polymorph now suffers the same nerfs that the rest of the Polymorph line does. If not, that's your spell. Otherwise, look up Planar Binding guides and pick up Lesser Planar Binding. I'm sure you can do some sort of crazy loop to produce your desired effect, assuming your desired effect is a DMG to the head.

maysarahs
2010-12-12, 07:08 PM
the DM kinda expects I'll pull this stuff, and currently we are in a month long festival filled with 1v1 arena battles. The Homebrew artificer goes up against level 8 fighters, and I get thrown up against level 12-18 Sorcerers/Druids, AND I have to deal with the frustrating artificer who loves to start pvp at the end of the in game day when I am at <30 hp (semi optimized blastificer)

Celerity is banned because:
We were taking a break from the festival and hunting evil creatures that had snuck into the city (one player couldn't make it) when I finish off an ogre mage, the artificer asks me how much hp I have. 35. "okay, I shoot him with my two twinned wands of lightning bolt. make 4 reflex saves versus 4d6 each" I was going to cast celerity to get out of the way when the DM says that he didn't know it was an immediate, not a swift action, so no. So now I have to take 4 lightning bolts in the face...

I think that since Pathfinder has Form of the Dragon I as a 6th level spell, he wouldn't allow me to take Draconic Polymorph

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-12-12, 07:12 PM
I shoulda figured the game was like that. May I suggest not mentioning your HP total to the PvP loving blastificer? Lesser Planar Binding can give you lots of goodies, but it's not something that will help your immediate situation.

tyckspoon
2010-12-12, 08:34 PM
mm.. well, if you have any Cha mod worth talking about, Ruin Delver's Fortune is a useful defensive trick; also Immediate action, provides Cha mod as a luck bonus to one of Fort/Will/Ref save and also a handy defensive ability (for example, if you select Reflex you also briefly gain Evasion.) I'm pretty sure there's an immediate-response spell that grants Energy Resistance as well, which would be useful for dealing with the murderous tendencies of your Artificer "friend", but I can never remember where it actually is.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-12-12, 09:13 PM
You're thinking of Contingent Energy Resistance, which is not so great since it's a 5th level spell giving you resist 10. That said, it would be very useful in the OP's current situation if the DM allows him to have already cast it* since the blastificer is using multiple low-damage energy attacks instead of one big one.

*It's an hours/level spell, OP is tenth level, it acts like a limited contingency... yeah, it's supposed to be cast at the beginning of the day.

gorfnab
2010-12-12, 11:10 PM
This Wizard Guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) has a very nice list (sorted by school) of spells rated by usefulness and effectiveness. Hopefully this helps a little in your search for spells.