PDA

View Full Version : The flaw in Tarquin's Plan

Cybertoy00
2010-12-12, 08:02 PM
I have a very good feelign that this theory has been brought up and debunked and strengthened again and again, but I'm going to say it.
Tarquin's big plan to go down in history as a famous conquorer has two notable holes in it.
1) He's working from behind puppet-rulers. But that kind of thing only works if the puppet is okay with you pulling the strings. There might come a day when he recruits a tin-tyrant that's much smarter than the appearence would suggest.
2) His end would have to dramatic. He's actually counting on it. But this strip has a tendency to subvert notable dramatic conventions. He could just as easily meet his end in a comic manner. One that would nominally reduce his badass stature. It doesn't take much to turn a credible threat into a joke.

Zmflavius
2010-12-12, 10:23 PM
The first one is probably accounted for with the fact that Tarquin isn't a fool. He'd have to watch them while they conquered the old nation, so he could tell whether he could pull their strings or not.

The second one...well Tarquin doesn't actually know that much about his son's party (He thinks Elan's the leader, and is apparently unaware that Elan's a moron (and also doesn't know that Belkar and Roy are in it)). An oversight on his part.

Aruius
2010-12-19, 01:14 PM
#1: I'm pretty sure that once Tarquin has solidified his power through the puppet governments, and conquered ever other nation (Something he's still working on), He will take a more prominent role as an emperor, since no one will be able to oppose him anymore. For that, he'll be very well known and be able to live like a God, no need to hide anymore. At that point, he was expecting a hero to come and defeat him, making him known forever as the evil bad-ass villain that could.

#2: Yes, the comic is known to disregard the "Laws of Drama" as I like to call them. However, there are many examples of where these laws are upheld, such as when Elan's father turns out to be the evil emperor, who he must defeat, after losing to him in single combat. Very Star Wars. However, since the comic can be so anti-climactic, there is a VERY high possibility Tarquin will fail completely and utterly from some unforeseen circumstances.

It could go either way. We could have a dramatic fight between Elan and Tarquin, or Tarquin could fall down a well and die.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw in Tarquin's plan is that he doesn't know Rich Burlew.

Saposhiente
2010-12-19, 01:25 PM
I don't think he cares as much about #2-- he said that he went into it with the idea he would be killed by some peasant schmuck.

137beth
2010-12-19, 01:49 PM
One possibility is that because he rules from behind the scenes, he won't become as famous as he hopes. Then again, he might be exposed when he is defeated...

As for #2, yes, the comic does sometimes uphold the laws of drama, but really, what are the chances that the laws of drama will be upheld just because you want them to? If he is counting on the fact that the laws of drama guarantee him a climatic death, then irony might come back to bite him, and he will get a less dramatic death.

Yehomer
2010-12-20, 04:59 AM
1) Tarquin specifically said that even when he conquers everything - he's going to keep the "Rulers come, rulers go" thing, so he will not be opposed by the elves or whatever. He doesn't plan on coming out ever. However, if a hero does defeat Tarquin, he will have to expose him as the true ruler while defeating him or the world wouldn't know what a big hero he is.

2) People use the "villians get anti climatic ending in this comic" while forgeting that only minor insignificant villians got that so far. Rich is a good story teller, and he wouldn't end a story as grand as Tarquin's with an anti climax.

Even if Tarquin does get an anti climatic ending, it will be in a climatic way. otherwise it will be bad story telling :S

Querzis
2010-12-20, 08:33 AM
1) It really doesnt matter that much. Even if he end up with a competent rulers, theres nothing an assassination cant take care of. Thats the good thing with ruling three empires at the same time, it would be quite easy for them to dispose of someone and do as if the others empires had done it.

2) Having a big climatic fight and becoming a legend is just the bonus for Tarquin. He was already alright with being killed by a random peasant in an anti-climatic way. So even if we assume Tarquin is gonna die from explosive diarrhea (yes you can hate me for the mental image I just gave you) I doubt he would care that much. He still won, becoming a legend is just a bonus (a great bonus but still just a bonus).

Grogmir
2010-12-20, 08:58 AM
I don't believe he cares that much about being remembered - its living the life he's interested in.

Otherwise - why swap being a power being the throne? (less prestige - more likelhood of staying alive). He's a melee guy - doesn't really care about the gods. The rest is just cause he's genre savvy.

in short Tarquin ALREADY HAS WON!

Why> - cause he's spent the majority of his life 'living like a king!' He's already had a good few years - and its looking like he'll have a few more yet.

The fact that its going to be his son that stops him. Well thats just double win - it means he's made it to antagonist level. And T & E are playing out a classic, he wont get killed by no peasent smuk now. And that appeals to Tarquin - but it isn't the be all and end all.

ChowGuy
2010-12-20, 09:46 AM
So even if we assume Tarquin is gonna die from explosive diarrhea (yes you can hate me for the mental image I just gave you)

That actually sounds like something a Varsuvius/Belkar team-up might come up with. :smalleek:

grimbold
2010-12-20, 10:37 AM
1- Tarquin is smart he can tell if somebody is dumb enough to be manipulated. Otherwise they have assassination for a reason
2- The dramatic ending is important to him but he has no real control over it, he would not be bothered if he was killed by a peasant but i think he would prefer dying to a mighty hero

Voidhawk
2010-12-20, 02:10 PM
Tarquin's main flaw is the same as Elan's greatest strength: narrative reliance. While Elan follows the flow of the story and takes advantage of it moment to moment, Tarquin's lawful nature and search for underlying patterns has unfortuately caused him to generalise too much. He has failed to remember one important thing: all stories are DIFFERENT, however similar they appear. He is following the obvious plot, sure, but has forgotten that the best stories never turn out quite how you expect.

So let's look at a few of his presumptions shall we: heroes stick together, and are all good, dumb, and (importantly) all SANE. If you add this to the fact he isn't aware of Belkar's existance, I think you can see where we're heading...

Belkar doesn't obey narrative rules, certainly never on purpose. He just kills things, enjoys it alot, and recently freaks people out by occaionally behaving. Imagine what will happen if, for instance, the OoTS confronts Tarquin and he's taken Haley hostage? He'll grandstand, threaten her life, and then as Elan and as the others are standing around looking worried, Belkar will walk up to him and slice his legs off.

Too sum up: I see his life ending with a wet sklotch, some brief screaming, and alot of removed kidneys... :smallamused:

Occasional Sage
2010-12-20, 04:47 PM
Too sum up: I see his life ending with a wet sklotch, some brief screaming, and alot of removed kidneys... :smallamused:

That's part of his plan, actually, not a flaw in his thinking. His plan is simply to maximize the time before that happens.

Well, I mean it is a flaw in his thinking, but only if (like most sane people) you reject his underlying premise.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-21, 10:21 AM
and alot of removed kidneys... :smallamused:
:smalleek: Just how many do you think he has?

ChowGuy
2010-12-21, 08:29 PM
:smalleek: Just how many do you think he has?
Why would Belkar stop with Tarqin? There are bound to be some guards around. Or, ya'know, just innocent bystanders.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-22, 01:26 AM
Why would Belkar stop with Tarqin? There are bound to be some guards around. Or, ya'know, just innocent bystanders.
...And yet there was only one "wet sklotch", and the screaming was brief? :smalltongue: