PDA

View Full Version : So, what to buy?

Irbis
2010-12-12, 08:54 PM
As most of you are probably aware, I moved to Scotland.

Now, I'm going home for a few days, Central Europe, in case anyone's curious.

The question is, what I can buy my family as presents? Preferably inexpensive.

The things I was considering - I'd like something uniquely Scottish/British, maybe from US, as it is easier to get on the islands, something unusual and hard to get on the continent, or maybe just something nice - could also be some kind of unique food.

Any ideas?

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-12, 09:15 PM
As most of you are probably aware, I moved to Scotland.

Now, I'm going home for a few days, Central Europe, in case anyone's curious.

The question is, what I can buy my family as presents? Preferably inexpensive.

The things I was considering - I'd like something uniquely Scottish/British, maybe from US, as it is easier to get on the islands, something unusual and hard to get on the continent, or maybe just something nice - could also be some kind of unique food.

Any ideas?

i'm going to go ahead and state the obvious.

kilts

KuReshtin
2010-12-12, 09:22 PM
i'm going to go ahead and state the obvious.

kilts

Definitely not inexpensive.

Irbis
2010-12-12, 09:24 PM
I have thought about this, but the target is:

A) Not expensive;

B) Something that is actually useful/practical.

The only piece of clothing I considered for more than a few moments so far were the "Paisley Plaid" clothes in local gift shop, but I'd like to hear more ideas first :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2010-12-12, 09:27 PM
Scotch is Scottish, isn't it? :smallwink:

cho_j
2010-12-12, 09:34 PM
I find even mundane things become awesome when you do bring them from another country. For instance, I live in the U.S. but my dad's business trips often took him to Germany, and over the years I received many chocolate bars and stuffed animals that were special and unique to me just because they came from overseas (and from someone I loved). So you might come up with better presents shopping as you normally would for your family, just happening to be Scotland, than you might looking for something particularly Scottish.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-12, 09:49 PM
I'd suggest having a look in tourist souvenier shops. Sure there'll be cheap silly stuff, but you might find some good things, or at least get some ideas.

Does anyone in your family read? Get them a bookmark.
Someone have a thing for magnets? Get a Scottish fridge magnet
Does anyone like cooking? Try to gather a bunch of Scottish reciepes or find a cookbook.

Very silly present my sister-in-law gave my husband for Christmas last year - a towel that was printed to look like a kilt. For a slighly less-serious idea :smallsmile:

thubby
2010-12-13, 12:02 AM
i second the "nice scotch"
for the price of getting everyone some knickknacks you could probably get one decent bottle for the party.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-13, 12:08 AM
Shortbread is nice too and very Christmassy.

factotum
2010-12-13, 03:48 AM
How about haggis? :smalltongue: (That's the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep boiled in its own stomach, in case you were wondering).

Coidzor
2010-12-13, 04:32 AM
How about haggis? :smalltongue: (That's the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep boiled in its own stomach, in case you were wondering).

Depends on meat and customs, I imagine. Pairs nicely with scotch though, since you need a bit of it in order to eat it properly as I've always understood.

You could get a book of Scottish recipes for you mother. ...Or for any male relatives that likes machismo related things, since most of Sottish cuisine was invented based on a dare. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108174/quotes)

But thanks for reminding me, Katana. I need to start making shortbread soon.

KenderWizard
2010-12-13, 04:41 AM
Cadbury chocolate. I mean, the Irish Cadbury's is better than the British Cadbury's (there is a taste difference, I'm not just being irrational!), but British Cadbury's is still pretty good!

Or else, buy postcards of places near you, really nice ones, and put them in a simple frame, for a quick and easy, but beautiful, glance at what you see every day.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-12-13, 08:26 AM
One thing I used to buy for people was what were called "Junior Bagpipes" - fully working bagpipes, but about a quarter of the size.

Great if you are dealing with children...

KuReshtin
2010-12-13, 10:17 AM

Haggis is great. I just don't get why people have to bring up that the ingredients are somewhat unconventional compared to what people are used to.
Then again, the ingredients of Haggis is a whole lot more healthy than the ingredients of the average hot dog, and people don't have any qualms about eating hot dogs.

Irbis
2010-12-15, 06:33 PM
Ok, so far, we have:

A) shortcakes;
B) gift shops;
C) something mundane (towels, books - sadly, there's language barrier here);
D) haggis;
E) scotch;

That's a fair bit, and I thank you, but I'd like a few more before Friday. Any takers? :smallwink:

I just don't get why people have to bring up that the ingredients are somewhat unconventional compared to what people are used to.

Hmm, maybe they don't check labels often? That sort of stuff lands in cheaper meats and pates all the time, and no one (seemingly) cares.

KuReshtin
2010-12-15, 07:22 PM
For your mother, you could get earrings made from heather that are very nice and not too expensive. Can be found in Glasgow (Buchanan Street for sure) if not in Paisley. I believe they will be from £7-10 or thereabouts.
That is, if she uses earrings, of course.

A bottle of Whisky for your dad could be good, but I'd probably recommend getting a whisky glass for him as well as a more lasting gift. You should be able to find nice engraved glasses for about £6-7 or so.
If you decide to get a bottle of whisky, make sure it's a single malt.
Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg or Jura are nice whiskies from Islay and Jura.
Depending on the age and the brand, they'll be anywhere from £20-30, though.

My siblings and I bought our dad a 25-year old Bruichladdich for his 65th birthday. That cost us £130. It was very well received, though. Well worth it.

factotum
2010-12-16, 02:32 AM
Haggis is great. I just don't get why people have to bring up that the ingredients are somewhat unconventional compared to what people are used to.

Some people don't like eating what is essentially offal, and I didn't know if Irbis or his family were amongst them. I personally *like* haggis, don't get me wrong (at least on the couple of occasions I've ever eaten it).

Wandiya
2010-12-16, 11:39 AM
Claymore's? Who wouldn't want a giant sword for a present, perfect for solving disputes. Oh, and some blue paint :smalltongue::smallwink:

For a serious suggestion, maybe a T-shirt or something with a local emblem?

Aidan305
2010-12-16, 04:10 PM
Some people don't like eating what is essentially offal, and I didn't know if Irbis or his family were amongst them. I personally *like* haggis, don't get me wrong (at least on the couple of occasions I've ever eaten it).

Generally, from speaking to those people, they don't actually know what goes in to most of the food they claim to like. It makes it far more entertaining when I tell them.

Also, Haggis is great. I had some in Edinburgh last year along with the traditional neeps and tatties.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-16, 04:47 PM

That sounds foul. :smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2010-12-16, 04:55 PM
Equipment for a traditional Scottish sport? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss)

Aidan305
2010-12-16, 05:54 PM
That sounds foul. :smallconfused:

Not particularly, not when you consider that most sausages are made along the same lines.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-16, 05:59 PM
Not particularly, not when you consider that most sausages are made along the same lines.

Yeah, but... they look better? I don't know, I guess i'm wierd.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-16, 06:01 PM
I think it's more the fact that you are told what is in haggis, not in sausages.

KuReshtin
2010-12-16, 06:04 PM

The difference is that haggis has specific ingredients that are clearly defined, whereas hot dogs and other sausages tend to take whatever's available and can include pretty much anything.
I believe the terminology of the ingredients in sausages is 'meat products'.

Irbis
2010-12-16, 06:10 PM

Less (and better) offal, more edible skin, more meat, more finely ground - but yeah, pretty similar.

In fact, cheapest hot-dog sausages would be worse, as they have more vegetable than animal matter inside.

Ok, any more ideas? I'm going shopping tomorrow :smallwink:

Spiryt
2010-12-16, 06:11 PM
The problem with hot dogs is not "meat products" it's that you eat some completely worthless piece of bread with "meat parts" with some kind of 'vegetablish' stuff, along with some sauce....

All mixed up - Definitely not good for you stomach and the rest.

While haggis would be all pretty nice meat.

I don't think you're weird, most modern people are indeed quite not used to food that looks and tastes quite a bit like the thing it was taken from.

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-16, 11:34 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00769/SNA3124B-280_769454a.jpg

factotum
2010-12-17, 02:48 AM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00769/SNA3124B-280_769454a.jpg

<gravelly voice> Made in Scotland...from GIRDERS! </gravelly voice> :smallsmile:

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-17, 05:46 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7gu8r6ByAYA/TKHD_SgXPsI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/wPvcCy8Fd5o/s1600/irn-bru+1.gif

KuReshtin
2010-12-17, 08:40 AM
The IRN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI) BRU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dny-s27Dk) adverts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iyAcMi8rjk) are just awesome.

Asta Kask
2010-12-17, 08:44 AM
Apparently it comes laced with LSD...

Irbis
2010-12-17, 08:54 AM

Ok, but what it actually is? :smallconfused:

Also, why every thread about Scotland turns into haggis discussion?

Asta Kask
2010-12-17, 09:02 AM
It's that or the Jacobite rebellion.

KuReshtin
2010-12-17, 09:03 AM

Irn Bru is a soft drink with lots of caffeine in it.
It's very sweet, and is a great hangover cure. :smallwink:

Readily available pretty much everywhere in Scotland (although apparently not at Pizza Hut).

SlayerScott
2010-12-17, 09:06 AM
Local or National team jerseys - it's my favorite regional gift.

factotum
2010-12-17, 10:16 AM
It's that or the Jacobite rebellion.

Or the weather... :smallsmile:

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-17, 07:16 PM

one of the most sugary/caffinated soft drinks around (excluding "energy" drinks). Its helped me through working many a night shift.

8 hours of "work" at a night club? 2 litres of the bru will sort that out no problem. All for the princely sum of £1.69p. Money well spent.

Also - fully backed on the idea of getting scottish rugby team jersey