PDA

View Full Version : Books of the FAR FUTURE, IN WHICH THERE IS ONLY WAR

Deth Muncher
2010-12-13, 12:26 AM
So, I picked up both of the Caiaphas Cain omnibusses (omnibi?) today, which I have yet to read. I've also read the Ultramarines omnibus, Storm of Iron, and some of the Blood Ravens Omnibus. On the whole I kinda like these books - it takes me about as long to read a book as it does to actually play a match of 40k, and reading doesn't end with me losing, so ultimately I enjoy it more. :P I'm wondering how many others of you out in the Playground enjoy the novels set in the FAR FUTURE of GRIMDARKNESS, and which your favorites are and why. Or, alternatively, why you hate them, and why they should BURN LIKE THE HERETICAL DOCUMENTS THEY ARE.

Fan
2010-12-13, 12:42 AM
So, I picked up both of the Caiaphas Cain omnibusses (omnibi?) today, which I have yet to read. I've also read the Ultramarines omnibus, Storm of Iron, and some of the Blood Ravens Omnibus. On the whole I kinda like these books - it takes me about as long to read a book as it does to actually play a match of 40k, and reading doesn't end with me losing, so ultimately I enjoy it more. :P I'm wondering how many others of you out in the Playground enjoy the novels set in the FAR FUTURE of GRIMDARKNESS, and which your favorites are and why. Or, alternatively, why you hate them, and why they should BURN LIKE THE HERETICAL DOCUMENTS THEY ARE.

Well, I myself am partial to THE GREY KNIGHTS, and THE NOBLE DOCUMENTS TEACHING US OF THE HORUS HERESY AND HOW OUR EMPEROR STILL LIVES.

However, I am soon to be recieving the Blood Angels, and Ultramarines Omnibus.

I would also recommend the book Thousand sons, and anything with Space Wolves. Ever.

Deth Muncher
2010-12-13, 12:48 AM
Well, I myself am partial to THE GREY KNIGHTS, and THE NOBLE DOCUMENTS TEACHING US OF THE HORUS HERESY AND HOW OUR EMPEROR STILL LIVES.

However, I am soon to be recieving the Blood Angels, and Ultramarines Omnibus.

I would also recommend the book Thousand sons, and anything with Space Wolves. Ever.

Oh, come to think of it, I DO have the first Horus Heresy novel. That was good times.

And there's a 1kSons book? NICE. Totally gonna get dat ish, yo. (Sorry. It's the urban influences tainting my speech.)

If you're getting the Ultramarines Omnibus, go read Storm of Iron before you read Black Sun, Dead Sky (or something like that) or you're going to miss about half of the story.

Lord Raziere
2010-12-13, 12:59 AM
I've read Ciaphas Cain and found it funny.

that is really all....so I probably haven't read anything "real" yet or whatever...

Cheesegear
2010-12-13, 01:39 AM
I'm wondering how many others of you out in the Playground enjoy the novels set in the FAR FUTURE of GRIMDARKNESS...

Basically, my opinion is that anyone with their name on a Horus Heresy novel deserves it, and that you should immediately go out and read everything else they've written.

Second, any series that gets reprinted in an Omnibus edition, deserves to be reprinted. If you see an Omnibus, buy it.

Third, every single audio-book has been top-notch. Toby Longworth's voice acting for Colonel Straken in Waiting Death is perfect.

My favourites in no particular order;
Grey Knights (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Grey-Knights-Omnibus-The.html)
Enforcer (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Enforcer.html)
Eisenhorn (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Eisenhorn-Omnibus.html) and Ravenor (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Ravenor-The-Omnibus.html)
...If you can't tell, I like the Inquisition.

Every single audio-book.
The Soul Drinkers (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Soul-Drinkers-Omnibus.html)
The Dark Apostle (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Dark-Apostle.html) trilogy.

Anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Graham McNeil and Gav Thorpe.

The only book that I can remember reading of 40K that I didn't like was Salamander by Nick Kyme. However, then there was the audio-book Fireborn, and the second Salamander novel Firedrake which are orders of magnitude better than the original novel.

The First Heretic (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy/First-Heretic-The.html), A Thousand Sons (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy/A-Thousand-Sons.html) and (I think) Mechanicum (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy/Mechanicum.html) have all been on the New York Times' Bestsellers list. 40K novels. On the NYT BS List. These novels are that good. Get them.

Eldan
2010-12-13, 06:27 AM
I've read a single 40k book, though I don't remember what it was called. About the Imperial Guard, apparently.

It is, so far, one of only three books in my entire life I have started and not finished. It was just so boring.

"Then they ran into the next room, and there were chaos cultists, and they, like, shot them with guns. Then they ran outside, and there was a lot of cultists there, and they shot them all. Then there was more shooting. Next chapter: "Cultist: the Shootening"."

Killer Angel
2010-12-13, 07:05 AM
I've read a single 40k book, though I don't remember what it was called. About the Imperial Guard, apparently.

It is, so far, one of only three books in my entire life I have started and not finished. It was just so boring.

Clearly, this is Heresy.
But I don't care. Be them cultists or Imperial Guards, they both will be food for the Great Devourer. :smallbiggrin:

Grumman
2010-12-13, 07:59 AM
The first five Ciaphas Cain books are good. I didn't like the sixth much, mainly because of the villain.

I enjoyed Faith and Fire, Status: Deadzone and Execution Hour.

Dark Apostle has its good points, but the ending sucked. On two occasions the Imperials lose solely because of the Word Bearer's cheesy, uninteresting, suspension of disbelief-destroying swiss army superweapon.

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-12-13, 08:32 AM
I enjoyed Fifteen Hours, though admittedly it doesn't have the same kind of scope as the other books. I liked it for the tone more than anything else.

Tazar
2010-12-13, 11:51 AM
The Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies are good books by any comparison, not just good 40k literature, which is saying something. A must-read for someone getting into the world of 40k literature.

comicshorse
2010-12-13, 11:51 AM
Basically, my opinion is that anyone with their name on a Horus Heresy novel deserves it, and that you should immediately go out and read everything else they've written.

I'd agree with that APART from the two novels about the Dark Angels: 'Descent of Angels' and 'Fallen Angels' . The first is truely terrible the second merely poor. Luckily neither really affect the overall story and can be safely ignored.

thorgrim29
2010-12-13, 03:13 PM
Second, any series that gets reprinted in an Omnibus edition, deserves to be reprinted. If you see an Omnibus, buy it.

Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe is garbage IMO.

Obrysii
2010-12-13, 03:15 PM
Far future, war?

Dune.

Tazar
2010-12-13, 03:23 PM
Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe is garbage IMO.

Meh, I liked it, if only for the fact that the damn Tau actually lose for once.

thorgrim29
2010-12-13, 05:07 PM
I just couldn't stand the writing style. Plus the plot is pretty awful.

Talkkno
2010-12-13, 06:23 PM
I just couldn't stand the writing style. Plus the plot is pretty awful.

I'd admit the plot was kind of stupid, but I still liked the Last Chancers because of the characters.

Deth Muncher
2010-12-14, 10:29 PM
Y'know, I kind of want an Orky book. Like, Ork protagonists. Well, "protagonists" at any rate. With as ridiculous as they seem to be in 40k as opposed to, say, the bloodthirsty Orcs of fantasy literature, I think an Ork centric book would have some good comedic value.

Talkkno
2010-12-14, 10:34 PM
Y'know, I kind of want an Orky book. Like, Ork protagonists. Well, "protagonists" at any rate. With as ridiculous as they seem to be in 40k as opposed to, say, the bloodthirsty Orcs of fantasy literature, I think an Ork centric book would have some good comedic value.

While there aren't Ork POV novels, there are some graphic novels that have Ork POV.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-15, 12:26 AM
I just wanna toss in that CIAPHIS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is badass and everyone should read all of them.

>.>

Deth Muncher
2010-12-15, 12:30 AM
I just wanna toss in that CIAPHIS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is badass and everyone should read all of them.

>.>

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY APPROVE of your statements. Unfortunately, my HOLY WRITINGS describing his EPIC DEEDS are about 45 minutes away, as my girlfriend drove away with them in her car. D:

DaedalusMkV
2010-12-15, 01:06 AM
I'd agree with that APART from the two novels about the Dark Angels: 'Descent of Angels' and 'Fallen Angels' . The first is truely terrible the second merely poor. Luckily neither really affect the overall story and can be safely ignored.
Fulgrim is also pretty damned awful. I know several people who just completely gave up on the entire HH series because of that book, and I was only persuaded to continue when I was informed of how freaking awesome some of the later books were. I've never met anyone who likes that book, and for good reason.

Tazar
2010-12-15, 01:09 AM
Fulgrim is also pretty damned awful. I know several people who just completely gave up on the entire HH series because of that book, and I was only persuaded to continue when I was informed of how freaking awesome some of the later books were. I've never met anyone who likes that book, and for good reason.

Yeah, the whole "Fulgrim is actually not evil but controlled by a daemon" thing was kinda stupid.

Cheesegear
2010-12-15, 06:19 AM

Fulgrim is also pretty damned awful.
However...

You'll notice that I never actually said buy the Horus Heresy novels. I said if they have their name on an HH book, they deserve it. Not that the HH book that they've got their name on is any good. :smallwink:

Mitchell Scanlon (Descent of Angels) primarily writes 40K short stories (Fifteen Hours...'nuff said) and Fantasy novels. Obviously, his first full-length 30K novel isn't going to be that great.

Mike Lee (Fallen Angels) is in a similar boat. I like his Nagash series.

Fulgrim was written by Graham McNeil.

you should immediately go out and read everything else they've written.

everything else

Closet_Skeleton
2010-12-15, 06:55 AM
Yeah, the whole "Fulgrim is actually not evil but controlled by a daemon" thing was kinda stupid.

If you think that's bad:

The first edition fluff implied that being possessed by a daemon was the only way any Space Marine leader has ever turned to chaos. The only such leaders in the fluff at this point were Horus and Huron.

The sons of horus apparently almost wiped themselves out because they kept giving their bodies up to daemons.

_Zoot_
2010-12-15, 07:33 AM
I just wanna toss in that CIAPHIS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! is badass and everyone should read all of them.

>.>

Promote this man.

I will third the fact that CIAPHIS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! Is awesome.

Deth Muncher
2010-12-15, 12:16 PM
Promote this man.

I love the irony here.

comicshorse
2010-12-15, 12:28 PM

I actually liked Fulgrim

Cheesegear
2010-12-16, 08:04 AM
I actually liked Fulgrim

Me too. But I see why some people don't like it.

Edge
2010-12-16, 08:56 AM
Eisenhorn is a ruddy excellent trilogy. Ravenor, less so, but it continues some character plot arcs and it was good read, though not enthralling like its predecessor.

Not really read much else in the way of 40k novels. I hear a lot of good things about Ciaphas Cain, but at the this point I feel I could just get all the good parts of the series on a TVTropes page or something.

Adumbration
2010-12-16, 05:19 PM
Promote this man.

I will fourth this fact, and I've only read one warhammer book: Cain's Last Stand. Love it, will read any other CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! book I'll find, even if I won't touch other warhammer books.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-12-16, 05:53 PM
No love for Gaunt's Ghosts?