PDA

View Full Version : More Volcano Power! [3.5 Domain and Spell]

Temotei
2010-12-13, 01:06 AM
Volcano Domain

Granted Power
Your spirit overflows, like lava erupting, replenishing your magical power. As a move action, you can recover a volcano domain spell slot you've expended at the cost of one turn undead attempt per spell level. However, this process causes some magical backlash, causing you to take fire damage equal to the level of the spell. This damage may not be reduced or mitigated in any way.

Volcano Domain Spells

Endure Elements: Exist comfortably in hot or cold environments.
Lava Missile*: 1d4 damage/2 levels; creatures catch fire.
Lava Walk: Allows targets to walk on lava.
Lava Splash*: 1d6 damage/level.
Wall of Magma**: Creates a magma wall that can be shaped.
Volcanic Storm****: Creates a volcanic ash storm.
Deadly Lahar***: Creates a large flow of volcanic material.
Erupt*: Destroys area of 100 ft./level.
Raise Volcano****: Raises a volcano.

*From Serpent Kingdoms.
**From Sandstorm.
***From Complete Mage.
****From Fire and Ash (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a).

Greyhawk Deities: Joramy, Obad-Hai, Pyremius
Forgotten Realms Deities: Gruumbar, Kossuth, Talos
Eberron Deities: The Devourer
Hourglass of Zihaja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177072) Deities: Maqur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9837591&postcount=13)
Zaaman-Rul Deities: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172194) Scyllua, Xiombarg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9565990&postcount=2)

Lava Walk
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Rgr 3, Clr 3, Volcano 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: One touched creature/level
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The transmuted creatures can safely tread on lava as if it were firm ground. It can be traversed easily, since the subjects' feet hover an inch or two above the surface. The subjects can walk, run, charge, or otherwise move across the surface as if it were normal ground.

If the spell is cast under lava (or while the subjects are partially or wholly submerged in lava), the subjects are borne toward the surface at 60 feet per round until they can stand on it.

Debihuman
2010-12-13, 03:15 AM
With lava walk, do creatures submerged in lava continue to take fire damage as normal or does this spell confer fire immunity as well? That's a pretty big bonus for such a low level spell.

Just because you can walk over lava by hovering over it, doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be immune or resistant to the heat that would emanate from the lava. It's hot enough to boil potions, paper would catch fire, etc. See rules on Burning Heat in Sandstorm page 13. It states that characters take 3d10 points of damage per round from Burning Heat.

I think you should state that the lava walk ability does NOT confer any resistance or immunity to fire and that creatures would take damage normally from the lava unless protected such as by an endure elements spell or other protective measures.

Debby

Temotei
2010-12-13, 06:52 PM
With lava walk, do creatures submerged in lava continue to take fire damage as normal or does this spell confer fire immunity as well? That's a pretty big bonus for such a low level spell.

Just because you can walk over lava by hovering over it, doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be immune or resistant to the heat that would emanate from the lava. It's hot enough to boil potions, paper would catch fire, etc. See rules on Burning Heat in Sandstorm page 13. It states that characters take 3d10 points of damage per round from Burning Heat.

I think you should state that the lava walk ability does NOT confer any resistance or immunity to fire and that creatures would take damage normally from the lava unless protected such as by an endure elements spell or other protective measures.

Debby

I don't think so. Then it's basically water walk, but restricted to lava.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-13, 07:22 PM
The Domain:You can force your spirit to erupt like a volcano, allowing you to recover a volcano domain spell slot you've expended at the cost of one turn undead attempt per spell level. In addition, you can convert other spells into volcano domain spells.

You can 'erupt like a volcano' and get a spell slot back? That does not fit. How does 'eruption' equal 'more magic'? I'd think that an Volcano Eruption power would be more like: 'The caster can erupt/explode like a volcano'.

And you get free 'turn all your spells into volcano domain spells? Odd as all the spells are cleric spells anyway, right?

I'd add [Earth] as a descriptor too. And you want to note that the spell gives you no protection vs the lava or it's effects.

Temotei
2010-12-13, 07:42 PM
You can 'erupt like a volcano' and get a spell slot back? That does not fit. How does 'eruption' equal 'more magic'? I'd think that an Volcano Eruption power would be more like: 'The caster can erupt/explode like a volcano'.

Your spirit erupts. Basically, imagine your essence--your soul, if you will--burning to fuel your magical power.

And you get free 'turn all your spells into volcano domain spells? Odd as all the spells are cleric spells anyway, right?

Most of them. It's a minor benefit.

I'd add [Earth] as a descriptor too. And you want to note that the spell gives you no protection vs the lava or it's effects.

Earth as a descriptor makes some sense, I suppose.

No protection against lava or its effects means it's strictly worse than water walk. Note that water walk is a 3rd-level spell that allows you to walk on any liquid surface as if it was solid ground--even lava. As an equal-level spell restricted to lava walking, it should have something going for it. Namely, the ability to actually walk on that lava without dying. It doesn't protect against any other lava sources, any fire damage other than the lava, or anything else. Just the lava you're walking on or going to the surface of.

If the spell didn't grant protection against the thing it's allowing you to walk on, it would be lower level, and it would be pretty useless until you gained a great amount of fire resistance.

Debihuman
2010-12-14, 06:37 AM
I don't think so. Then it's basically water walk, but restricted to lava.

Water walk already allows you to walk on lava, but it doesn't prevent you from taking heat damage. See relevant portion bolded below.

"The transmuted creatures can tread on any liquid as if it were firm ground. Mud, oil, snow, quicksand, running water, ice, and even lava can be traversed easily, since the subjects’ feet hover an inch or two above the surface. (Creatures crossing molten lava still take damage from the heat because they are near it.) The subjects can walk, run, charge, or otherwise move across the surface as if it were normal ground. "
By your reckoning, if you have endure elements and water walk, then volcano walk is mostly irrelevant.

Debby

Gamer Girl
2010-12-14, 02:07 PM
Your spirit erupts. Basically, imagine your essence--your soul, if you will--burning to fuel your magical power.

Right, you can spin anything to say anything. But while the 'spirit erupts' to fuel your magic sound like good fluff, it just does not fit a Volcano Domain. It's more like you just want a free cool power for a domain you will already take. But how does a Volcano erupting get your spells back? See how odd that is?

After all the obvious Domain Power is 'cast [fire] spells at +1 caster level'. But that is of course boring. Or 'you can turn/rebuke water creatures', but again that is boring.

But how about protection from natural fire? 'you have the supernatural ability of immunity to natural fire and heat, for up to 1 minute per level. This activates automatically when needed and lasts until it runs out or is dismissed and can operate multiple times a day up to the totally daily limit.'

No protection against lava or its effects means it's strictly worse than water walk. Note that water walk is a 3rd-level spell that allows you to walk on any liquid surface as if it was solid ground--even lava. As an equal-level spell restricted to lava walking, it should have something going for it. Namely, the ability to actually walk on that lava without dying. It doesn't protect against any other lava sources, any fire damage other than the lava, or anything else. Just the lava you're walking on or going to the surface of.[/QUOTE]

My domain power fixes this :)

arguskos
2010-12-14, 03:00 PM
Right, you can spin anything to say anything. But while the 'spirit erupts' to fuel your magic sound like good fluff, it just does not fit a Volcano Domain. It's more like you just want a free cool power for a domain you will already take. But how does a Volcano erupting get your spells back? See how odd that is?
This is both offensive and flat wrong. It is the designer's right and privilege to fluff things as he wishes and to write whatever description he wants it to have.

Further, it appears you are not familiar with symbology. Fire, and volcanos, are regarded both as a destroying force and a renewing force. Fire purifies the soul, replenishes the spirit. Why would a volcano, with it's force and power, be any different? It tends more towards destruction, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't serve to renew. In fact, new life springs up in the wake of volcanic action constantly, as cooled magma serves as a great source of new nutrients.

After all the obvious Domain Power is 'cast [fire] spells at +1 caster level'. But that is of course boring. Or 'you can turn/rebuke water creatures', but again that is boring.
Also, I believe both already exist.

But how about protection from natural fire? 'you have the supernatural ability of immunity to natural fire and heat, for up to 1 minute per level. This activates automatically when needed and lasts until it runs out or is dismissed and can operate multiple times a day up to the totally daily limit.'
Also boring, and mostly useless. Above perhaps level 3 this will never arise. Endure Elements at level 1 covers it anyways. Resist Energy at level 3 DEFINITELY takes care of it.

My domain power fixes this :)
And forces an unnecessary cost onto a spell that is otherwise utterly useless. This is poor design. Forcing more costs onto an already nigh-useless effect is not good. Balance must be self-contained.

Lava Walk, as written, is balanced with Water Walk, the most similar effect known. One has breadth of options, the other is highly focused but more potent in that situation.

However Temotei, I do agree that the Granted Power is a bit inappropriate. Seeing as how fire both renews and destroys, perhaps a combination effect is in order. Try the following on for size:
"Granted Power: Your spirit overflows, like lava erupting, replenishing your magical batteries. As a move action, you can recover a volcano domain spell slot you've expended at the cost of one turn undead attempt per spell level. However, this process causes some magical backlash, causing you to take fire damage equal to the level of the spell. This damage may not be reduced or mitigated in any way."

Temotei
2010-12-14, 05:54 PM

A volcano's not erupting. I also don't see how odd that is, because fire is seen as a cleansing or renewing force, as well as a destructive one.

That's extremely situational and it's basically useless with spells doing better.

Further, it appears you are not familiar with symbology. Fire, and volcanos, are regarded both as a destroying force and a renewing force. Fire purifies the soul, replenishes the spirit. Why would a volcano, with it's force and power, be any different? It tends more towards destruction, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't serve to renew. In fact, new life springs up in the wake of volcanic action constantly, as cooled magma serves as a great source of new nutrients.

Oh, look. You got it. :smallcool:

However Temotei, I do agree that the Granted Power is a bit inappropriate. Seeing as how fire both renews and destroys, perhaps a combination effect is in order. Try the following on for size:
"Granted Power: Your spirit overflows, like lava erupting, replenishing your magical batteries. As a move action, you can recover a volcano domain spell slot you've expended at the cost of one turn undead attempt per spell level. However, this process causes some magical backlash, causing you to take fire damage equal to the level of the spell. This damage may not be reduced or mitigated in any way."

I like it. Edited, with "batteries" changed to "power," for reasons of taste.

arguskos
2010-12-14, 06:16 PM
Oh, look. You got it. :smallcool:
I do that.

I like it. Edited, with "batteries" changed to "power," for reasons of taste.
Of course. Glad you liked it. I am also curious to know who gets this domain in the following settings:
-Greyhawk
-The Realms
-Eberron
-Zaaman-Rul (:smalltongue:; this is a joke btws)

Temotei
2010-12-14, 06:55 PM
I am also curious to know who gets this domain in the following settings:
-Greyhawk
-The Realms
-Eberron
-Zaaman-Rul (:smalltongue:; this is a joke btws)

Ooh. You're right. I forgot to do that.

Cieyrin
2010-12-15, 04:50 PM
For the hawk of Grey, Joramy seems a likely candidate. Nothing says Volcano domain as the goddess of fire and heated arguments, whose common farewell expression is "Fall in a fire and die!" :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-12-15, 09:37 PM
I have little information on War'dango that I can find. From what I see of his portfolio, it's possible that he could fit with this domain. Anyone have anything to say on that?

Also, Greyhawk deities, Forgotten Realms deities (with the possible exception of War'dango), and Eberron (I think; I'm not too familiar with Eberron's religions.) are finished.

arguskos
2010-12-15, 09:44 PM
I have little information on War'dango that I can find. From what I see of his portfolio, it's possible that he could fit with this domain. Anyone have anything to say on that?

Also, Greyhawk deities and Forgotten Realms deities (with the possible exception of War'dango) are finished.
He's so minor, it's not really a concern.

Also, why are Surtur and Garyx, deities that are in non-FR sourcebooks, listed in the FR section? :smallconfused: Other FR gods that could have the domain would be Talos (god of storms and destruction; volcanos fit in general) and Gruumbar (god of earth; same reasoning as Kossuth).

Temotei
2010-12-15, 09:50 PM
He's so minor, it's not really a concern.

Also, why are Surtur and Garyx, deities that are in non-FR sourcebooks, listed in the FR section? :smallconfused: Other FR gods that could have the domain would be Talos (god of storms and destruction; volcanos fit in general) and Gruumbar (god of earth; same reasoning as Kossuth).

Oops. I don't know, honestly.

Fixed, and two prominent homebrew setting deities added.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-15, 11:01 PM
Volcano Domain

Granted Power
Your spirit overflows, like lava erupting, replenishing your magical power. As a move action, you can recover a volcano domain spell slot you've expended at the cost of one turn undead attempt per spell level. However, this process causes some magical backlash, causing you to take fire damage equal to the level of the spell. This damage may not be reduced or mitigated in any way.

Well, I still don't agree with the idea of making a 'Volcano power' into a 'cool magic power' that has nothing to do with 'volcanoes'.

But I do like the limitations on this granted power. At least the power gamer types that will drool over the 'free spell cheat', will now have to pay a price. At least with the cost you can't get too insane with builds where the cleric would get back dozens of volcano spells back a day.

Temotei
2010-12-15, 11:33 PM
Well, I still don't agree with the idea of making a 'Volcano power' into a 'cool magic power' that has nothing to do with 'volcanoes'.

Nothing to do with volcanoes? You're replenishing your ability to cast spells based on lava, magma, and volcanoes.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-15, 11:37 PM
Hourglass of Zihaja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177072) Deities: Maqur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9837591&postcount=13)

Thanks for the plug. Yeah, Volcano would be an interesting swap for the Fire domain, especially for the Fist of Fire sect.

Temotei
2010-12-15, 11:52 PM
Thank for the plug. Yeah, Volcano would be an interesting swap for the Fire domain, especially for the Fist of Fire sect.

My thoughts exactly.

arguskos
2010-12-15, 11:57 PM
Ah, you selected Syculla. I'd agree with that, and also suggest that Xiombarg, in his guise as the Destroyer and the Insane Fury would grant the Volcano domain, for much the same reasons as Talos would.

I really need to flesh out the divinities sometime soon. Hell, I just need to work on Z-R more. Damn lack of time. :smallsigh: *nicks off to go do that*

Temotei
2010-12-16, 12:02 AM
Ah, you selected Syculla. I'd agree with that, and also suggest that Xiombarg, in his guise as the Destroyer and the Insane Fury would grant the Volcano domain, for much the same reasons as Talos would.

Good call. Added.

I really need to flesh out the divinities sometime soon. Hell, I just need to work on Z-R more. Damn lack of time. :smallsigh: *nicks off to go do that*

You do. I need to post in the in-character thread, too. :smalleek:

Zeta Kai
2010-12-16, 12:05 AM

Yes, you do. Back to the 'brewing mines with you! :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-12-16, 12:12 AM
Yes, you do. Back to the 'brewing mines with you! :smallwink:
:smalleek:

Yes sir... *cowers in fear... then remembers that Zeta=/=afro and is less afraid* :smalltongue: