PDA

View Full Version : Sylph

faceroll
2010-12-13, 02:13 AM
IN MM2, there is the Sylph. It is an outsider with 3 HD and casts as a 7th level sorcerer. A web update gives it an ECL of 8.

It gets a caster level of HD+3. It also has flight and some nice SLAs, like improved invisibility.

If you had a sylph3/LA5/sorcerer 3, would you get 6th level spells?

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-13, 02:16 AM
No, you would only get 5th level spells since you cast as a 10th level sorcerer.

Spellcasting class levels stack with this kind of innate spellcasting. As another example, Nymphs taking druid levels just stack the two, so a nymph druid 3 is a 10th level druid for spellcasting purposes.

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.

faceroll
2010-12-13, 06:29 AM
It's actually HD+4, but I still did my math wrong.
Damn, that's kind of really powerful, isn't it? At ECL 14 you're a 19th level sorcerer. Alternatively, you take crusader or rogue or something and basically get 12 free caster levels. Or you could combine it with a class like arcane trickster or something for double casting and being able to fill a secondary roll.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-13, 06:32 AM
No LA on that thing. No LA, no play. :smallfrown:

Runestar
2010-12-13, 06:37 AM
LA is given in the MM2 update booklet.

I think his question is if class lvs double-count. IE: would a sylph sorc3 cast as a sorc10 or sorc13, because sorc1 adds 1 lv of spellcasting, and is treated as 1 HD for purposes of improving the sylph's innate spellcasting. So would 3 lvs of sorc improve spellcaster lv by 3 or 6? :smallannoyed:

The most sane interpretation would be to let the clause apply only to racial HD (in which case, ask your DM if you can take extra outsider HD instead). However, dragon 338 sets a precedent where a spellweaver takes lvs in fighter, and those class lvs improve its innate spellcasting capabilities as well! :smalleek:

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-13, 10:38 AM
Damn, that's kind of really powerful, isn't it? At ECL 14 you're a 19th level sorcerer. Alternatively, you take crusader or rogue or something and basically get 12 free caster levels. Or you could combine it with a class like arcane trickster or something for double casting and being able to fill a secondary roll.

I don't see where you're getting any of this. At ECL 14 you cast as a 13th level sorcerer.

7 innate + 6 class levels.

ECL breakdown is Fey 3/Sorc 6/LA 5

Duke of URL
2010-12-13, 10:53 AM
Damn, that's kind of really powerful, isn't it? At ECL 14 you're a 19th level sorcerer. Alternatively, you take crusader or rogue or something and basically get 12 free caster levels.

Don't confuse spellcasting with caster level. It's an ECL 8 creature (3 HD / 5 LA) that casts as a 7th level sorcerer. For the purposes of spells known and spells per day, additional sorcerer levels would stack, so adding 6 sorcerer levels would have it cast as a 13th level sorcerer (6th level spells) at ECL 14.

The caster level, on the other hand, is HD + 3, which in this case is 12 (3 RHD 6 sorcerer). If you let the sorcerer levels double-count for caster level, that makes it CL 18. Caster level affects things like duration and other level dependent effects, along with spell resistance, etc. It does not affect spells known or spells per day.