PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The High Priest of Pun-Pun.... what?

fortesama
2010-12-13, 05:39 AM
My DM promised to give my cleric a free nightstick if i could help him fluff a cult related to the aforementioned kobold such as portfolios, alignment restrictions, granted domains etc. Here's what we came up with so far:

* Domains: all of them, pun-pun encourages her clergy to pick the most powerful options available though.
* Portfolio: all of them
* Teachings, History and other fluff: Here's where we got lost and confused, though i expect that those who aren't followers are likely to be confused by the terminology the clergy uses too. I'd expect that the pursuit of power would be high up in the list of priorities along with "studying the fundamental workings of the multiverse".
* Alignment: Neutral or LN
* Cleric Alignments: Any non-evil, pun-pun admires power but is aware of the power of some supreme force that will smite any that attempts to destroy the said supreme force's plot. Said force ranks even higher than all the overdeities that ever existed. (a cookie to whoever guess who that is).

The DM is... mildly insane and i know this is really silly.

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-13, 06:43 AM
Portfolio - dimentional travel, power, arcane magic, deamon, reptiles, kobolds, and wishes.

Noted things - when displeased an kolbold arm of inifnate length reaches from a gate and smack the target upside the head for 1 point of nonlethal divine damage.

Eldan
2010-12-13, 06:44 AM
Obviously, the scalykind domain.

From there, it depends. He's either determined to keep the power to himself and is therefore dedicated to killing pazuzu and eliminating Efreet and Sarukhs, or to spreading it, in which case he wants to spread Sarukhs to all campaign settings.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-13, 07:15 AM
Obviously, the scalykind domain.

From there, it depends. He's either determined to keep the power to himself and is therefore dedicated to killing pazuzu and eliminating Efreet and Sarukhs, or to spreading it, in which case he wants to spread Sarukhs to all campaign settings.
If that's what he wanted, it would already be done. Since it hasn't, it must not be what he wants. That's logic.

Myth
2010-12-13, 07:47 AM
Pun-Pun by it's stupid RAW description is an Overdeity therefore It does not need followers nor does it grant spells. I'm just sayin'.

Saintheart
2010-12-13, 08:13 AM
Surely Pun-Pun's portfolios need only be Victory and Everything?

As in, he wins everything? :smallcool:

Coidzor
2010-12-13, 09:35 AM
Which variant of pun-pun are you using? The older, long-way that sets off at level 7, I believe? The former paladin way? This will inform his character, you see.

If he's the Fallen Paladin Pun-Pun, then he's, I believe, LG or NG. And he could have atoned.

There's going to be an associated herald/lesser deity/saint associated with Pun-Pun's church that is his familiar, though. Could either be a Viper or a Sea Snake (stormwrack), as both would qualify for the stats trick.

Should come up with a name for him, I reckon, unless the Pun-Pun lore already has a name for him.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-13, 10:25 AM
Pun-Pun by it's stupid RAW description is an Overdeity therefore It does not need followers nor does it grant spells. I'm just sayin'.
Ah, but one could believe in the philosophy of Pun-Pun, as represented by Pun-Pun, power by whatever means necessary, and much not, and get spells.

Urpriest
2010-12-13, 10:39 AM
If he's the Fallen Paladin Pun-Pun, then he's, I believe, LG or NG. And he could have atoned.

Whichever version you use, this aspect of Pun Pun needs to factor in to the alignment. Specifically, Pun Pun's alignment should be: "LN...ha ha just kidding NG!"

If you do make him into the god of rules exploits and metagaming, his priests should wear red robes and feathered hats.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-13, 10:59 AM
Whichever version you use, this aspect of Pun Pun needs to factor in to the alignment. Specifically, Pun Pun's alignment should be: "LN...ha ha just kidding NG!"

If you do make him into the god of rules exploits and metagaming, his priests should wear red robes and feathered hats.
:smalltongue: I see what you did there, and I like it. I don't like rules exploits and metagaming. I do like audacity however, and both Pun-Pun and Red Mage have that in abundance.

Telonius
2010-12-13, 12:15 PM
My own take on Pun-Pun as a deity: Since he has an arbitrary amount of Wisdom, he realizes that he's a fictional character created in a game. As such, his teachings tend towards doing things that might not make the most sense to people within the world, but would make things a lot easier for real-life players.

For example, free distribution of Handy Haversacks to passing adventurers, destroying surplus sacks of gold generated from Walls of Iron (that would otherwise overwhelm medieval economics systems), discouraging the use of Grappling (at least until they can figure out a better mechanic for it), hunting down and destroying any Dust of Sneezing and Choking they can lay their hands on. That sort of thing.

Functionally, the cult would act something like the cult of a god of Balance, something like Vecna (in terms of keeping secret items and spells that are overpowered), something like Olidammara (for stealing items) and something like Fharlanghn (as far as having fun along the way is concerned).

The cult's holy book would look quite a bit like the DMG, only with the words "Don't Panic!" written where the title would be.

Christopher K.
2010-12-13, 01:45 PM
The cult's holy book would look quite a bit like the DMG, only with the words "Don't Panic!" written where the title would be.

I think the cult's holy book would actually BE the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not just the DM's Guide but also all other books, including supplemental ones.

JaronK
2010-12-13, 03:43 PM
Pun Pun has infinite Wisdom and Intelligence, and therefor knows he's in a game. Furthermore, he knows that if games are broken by overpowered stuff, the game will stop being played, which is the only way Pun Pun will die. Therefor, his domains are "Exploits" and "Stuff that would ruin the DM's story." As such, he knows about these things 7 days before they would actually happen, and uses this knowledge to fix them.

A Cleric of Pun Pun would be sent on holy missions to stop various exploiters. And while he might seek some power for himself, he would do so without any abuse or exploit.

JaronK

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-13, 04:14 PM
Pun Pun has infinite Wisdom and Intelligence, and therefor knows he's in a game. Furthermore, he knows that if games are broken by overpowered stuff, the game will stop being played, which is the only way Pun Pun will die. Therefor, his domains are "Exploits" and "Stuff that would ruin the DM's story." As such, he knows about these things 7 days before they would actually happen, and uses this knowledge to fix them.

A Cleric of Pun Pun would be sent on holy missions to stop various exploiters. And while he might seek some power for himself, he would do so without any abuse or exploit.

JaronK

Would the fourth wall, and abuses relating to it, also be a part of his portfolio and interest in that sense? Which is to say, one of his cleric's main commandments would surely be to maintain Kayfabe?

randomhero00
2010-12-13, 06:12 PM
I actually think introducing Pun Pun into a campaign as a god might be interesting. The question is, what would he be interested in? I'd say anything to do with intelligence and wisdom as he must have been a very clever kobold (or luck domain) to have figured it out on his own. I'm sure he'd also have a soft spot for dragons and therefor sorcery.

Mongoose87
2010-12-13, 06:37 PM
I think the High Priest of his Punniness should be an Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge, since he's such a cheese machine.

fortesama
2010-12-14, 01:56 AM
I actually think introducing Pun Pun into a campaign as a god might be interesting. The question is, what would he be interested in? I'd say anything to do with intelligence and wisdom as he must have been a very clever kobold (or luck domain) to have figured it out on his own. I'm sure he'd also have a soft spot for dragons and therefor sorcery.

I think I have a vague idea on why my DM is planning this. He used to have an epic level DMPC wizard/archivist/mystic theurge/???? to smite any players that try to wreck the campaign beyond repair. Otherwise, said DMPC only appears as a shopkeeper in a magic mart or pretends to be an NPC we were not supposed to kill but ended up killing when the plot requires said NPC or sells misplaced plot items. Looks like said character won't appear in this one this time and is using a more powerful substitute.

And we're using the Level 1 pun-pun variation. We settled on LG for now as alignment, restricting cleric alignments to Good.

And pun-pun is a valid deity for the player

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-14, 02:18 AM
Said force ranks even higher than all the overdeities that ever existed. (a cookie to whoever guess who that is).
Invisible Christopher Walken?