PDA

View Full Version : [Americanapunk, Base Class] The Doctor

0tt3r
2010-12-13, 12:39 PM
The Doctor

His scalpel, as well as his clothes, are covered in blood. You can't be sure if he just killed or saved someone. He is chewing on a plant you saw in the range once, one you thought was poisonous. Yea, you'll go to him if you get sick. He will likely help, but you don't want to be under the knife if he turns on you...

Vitality Die: d6

Class Skills
Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Forgery, Heal, Knowledge (Science, Medicine), Listen, Pharmacy, Search, Spot, Streetwise, Survival

Skill Points at 1st level
(6+ Int Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at each additional level
6 + int modifier

Defences: +2 Will, +1 Fortitude

Base Attack: 1/2

Class Features

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
Doctors are proficient in all simple weapons, as well as the scalpel. Doctors are proficient with no armor.

Talents

Anatomy

Malpractice

Basic: The doctor knows where all the major veins and arteries are located. As part of a standard or full round attack action, he can roll a Knowledge (Medicine) check against a DC of 10 + target's HD. If succesful, the target bleeds for 1 damage for 1d3 rounds.

Intermediate: The doctor can now slash much deeper. The bleed damage increased to 1d3 damage for 1d6+1 rounds.

Master: The doctor's knowledge of veins and arteries is unparalleled. The bleed damage is increased to 1d6 damage for 2d6 rounds. Additionally, for every 5 the doctor exceeds the DC, 1 damage is added each round.

Crippling Strike

Basic: The doctor can aim for a specific body part, and knows exactly where to strike to cripple the targeted area. On a melee attack using a small slashing or piercing weapon (such as a scalpel), the doctor can aim for the following body parts:

Arms: The crippled target takes a -1 to all attack rolls using that use arms or hands as part of the attack.
Legs: The crippled target can not take a free 5 ft. step.

All effects can be removed with a Heal check of 15. A Fortitude save of DC 14 + half doctor level + Int modifier negates any effect.

Intermediate: The doctor can now aim for more areas, and the effects of his previous cripples are now greater.

Arms: The penalty to attack rolls is increased to -2.
Legs: The target's movement speed is halved, on top of losing the free 5 ft step.
Hand: The target must make a Reflex save of DC 10 + 1/2 damage dealt or drop whatever they are holding.

Master: The doctor's intimate knowledge of the body allows him to effectively disable anything he aims for. The DC to remove the effect is increased to 20.

Arms: The penalty to attack rolls is increased to -5. Additionally, strength can not be added to damage, if applicable.
Legs: The target is immobilized.
Hand: If the target fails the Reflex save, he drops the item he is holding, and can not hold anything with that hand.
Eyes: The target is blinded.
Chest: The target takes 1 wound point.

Surgical Strike

Basic: The doctor knows exactly what spot hurts the most. When the target is denied their dex bonus, he adds 1d6 damage to all attacks.

Intermediate: The damage bonus increases to 2d6.

Master: The bonus damage increases to 3d6. Additionally, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to the damage dealt or be stunned for one round.

Physick

BREATHE, DAMNIT*

Basic: The doctor can heal a target's non-fatal wounds. The target must have at least one wound remaining and must have suffered a wound in the last 10 +2x the doctor's level minutes. In a procedure taking ten minutes and requiring absolute concentration and a doctor's tools, the doctor may restore a a single wound to the target.

Intermediate: If the doctor stabilises a dying character, he may restore a number of wound points equal to half the doctor's level. The target may talk normally and eat, however they are otherwise helpless for 24 hours.

Master: If a dying character has failed the save to become stable within a number of minutes equal to the doctor's level, the doctor may attempt to bring the character back to life. This takes a full minute of dedicated concentration and work and requires a heal check against DC15+1 for every minute that the person has been dead. The character brought back becomes merely dying, instead of dead.

I can patch that.

Basic: Using basic medical supplies, a doctor can quickly patch up an ally, even in the heat of battle. As a full-round action, the doctor can make a heal check of DC 12 to heal 1d6+1 per level vitality points. Patching a target provokes an attack of opportunity.

Intermediate: The doctor is at home in the heat of battle. Patching now only takes a standard action, and heals 2d6+1 per level vitality points.

Master: A master of battle, the doctor can now heal as a move action, and it no longer provokes an attack of opportunity. In addition, he has mastered the art of mixing chemicals to make the perfect anti-septic. The doctor can prepare a special salve that only he knows how to use by spending 10 minutes and succeeding on a DC 25 Heal check. If this salve is used to patch a target, the patched target has a +2 bonus on all rolls.

As long as it is not a tumor...

Basic: The doctor can use his plethora of medical tools to perform surgery on a target. Surgery takes 30 uninterrupted minutes, and, if the doctor succeeds on a heal check of DC 20, it restores 1d3 Dexterity, Constitution, or Strength damage, doctor's choice. The target must not do anything strenuous for 1d6 hours after surgery, or the damage returns. The doctor uses (value) of medical materials in the surgery. This materials must be obtained from a proper, city hospital.

Intermediate: The doctor is much more efficient at surgery. Though he still needs (value) of medical materials, only half must be obtained from a proper, city hospital, and is not consumed in the surgery. The other half may be scrounged together on the range, but is still consumed in the surgery.

Master: Armed with only a scalpel, a needle, and some thread, a doctor's surgery now restores 1d3+1 Dexterity, Constitution, and Strength damage. Additionally, for every 3 the doctor increases the DC of the check by, he can reduce the time of surgery by 5 minutes, to a minimum of 10 minutes.

Medicine

Pharmacy** (Skill)

(Class skill of Doctors only)

You can create helpful drugs against various ailments, and powerful tonics to strengthen your allies.
Creating a drug or tonic takes 4 hours, a laboratory, raw materials worth [cost] and an apothecary check DC 15. All tonics (with the exception of teh revitalizing tonic) provide a bonus, which lasts for 6 hours after drinking the tonic, while drugs apply until the next save to which they apply is made, or for 24 hours, whichever comes first.

Tonics:
Revitalizing: this tonic restores 1d6 vitality points and removes the fatigued condition from the consumer.
Energizing: this tonic provides a +2 morale bonus on all skill checks, attack rolls and saves.
Invigorating: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to strength.
Relaxing: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to dexterity.
Toughening: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to constitution.

Drugs:
When making a drug, choose a specific poison (i.e. rattlesnake venom) or disease (i.e. the Blackwater Taint). The drug provides the one drinking it a +5 medicine bonus on his next save against that disease or poison.

Herbalist**

Basic: By spending four hours in the range or wild, the doctor can gather herbal ingredients for his medicines. This means that he only has to pay half the base cost when next preparing a tonic or drug.

Improved: When gathering ingredients on the range, the doctor no longer has to use any costly ingredients when making drugs or tonics.

Master: All drugs and tonics created by the doctor provide double their normal bonus, or in the case of the revitalizing tonic, heals 2d6 points of damage.

The Scalpel

The scalpel is an extremely sharp instrument used for surgical purposes. Some doctors, however, see the value of using a scalpel in a fight.

The Scalpel: Cost: (value). Dmg 1d3 Crit: 18-20/2 wounds

*Courtesy cheezewizz2000
**Courtesy Eldan

The Doctor is a class for the Farmpunk setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176818&highlight=farmpunk) / system being brewed on these boards. It is E8, and I tried to balance the talents off of that. We might be starting with 3 talents, gaining one at every odd level, and improving one at every even level. The (value) tag is there because I have no idea how currency is going to be done, or what to balance that around. This is my first real homebrew, so comments are appreciated! If you have a fancy sounding description, a fantastic name, or any other nice fluff, that would be helpful.

EDIT: Suggestions taken, cheezewizz2000 credited
EDIT: More suggestions taken, medicine tree reworked.

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-13, 01:13 PM
Vein Slash *Needs a better name*

Can I suggest "malpractice"?

Basic: The doctor knows where all the major veins and arteries are located. As part of a standard or full round attack action, he can roll a Knowledge (Medicine) check against a DC of 10 + target's HD. If succesful, the target bleeds for 1 damage for 1d3 rounds.

Intermediate: The doctor can now slash much deeper. The bleed damage increased to 1d3 damage for 1d6+1 rounds.

Master: The doctor's knowledge of veins and arteries is unparalleled. The bleed damage is increased to 1d6 damage for 2d6 rounds. Additionally, for every 5 the doctor exceeds the DC, 1 damage is added each round.

I like it. Eldan will probably have more to say.

Crippling Strike

Basic: The doctor can aim for a specific body part, and knows exactly where to strike to cripple the targeted area. On a succesful melee touch attack using a small slashing or piercing weapon (such as a scalpel), the doctor can aim for the following body parts:

Arms: The crippled target takes a -1 to all attack rolls using that use arms or hands as part of the attack.
Legs: The crippled target can not take a free 5 ft. step.

All effects can be removed with a Heal check of 15.

Intermediate: The doctor can now aim for more areas, and the effects of his previous cripples are now greater.

Arms: The penalty to attack rolls is increased to -2.
Legs: The target's movement speed is halved, on top of losing the free 5 ft step.
Hand: The target must make a Reflex save of DC 10 + 1/2 damage dealt or drop whatever they are holding.

Master: The doctor's intimate knowledge of the body allows him to effectively disable anything he aims for. The DC to remove the effect is increased to 20.

Arms: The penalty to attack rolls is increased to -5. Additionally, strength can not be added to damage, if applicable.
Legs: The target is immobilized.
Hand: If the target fails the Reflex save, he drops the item he is holding, and can not hold anything with that hand.
Eyes: The target is blinded.
Chest: The target takes 1 wound point.

Fortitude saves to negate (DC 14+half doctor level+cha bonus). Make it a regular attack, rather than a touch attack.

That was my kidney!

May I suggest "Surgical Strike"?

Basic: The doctor knows exactly what spot hurts the most. When the target is denied their dex bonus, he adds 1d6 damage to all attacks.

Intermediate: The damage bonus increases to 2d6.

Master: The bonus damage increases to 3d6. Additionally, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to the damage dealt or be stunned for one round.

I like it. Sneak attack damage for the win.

BREATHE, DAMNIT

Basic: The doctor can heal a target's non-fatal wounds. The target must have at least one wound remaining and must have suffered a wound in the last 10 +2x the doctor's level minutes. In a procedure taking ten minutes and requiring absolute concentration and a doctor's tools, the doctor may restore a a single wound to the target.

Intermediate: If the doctor stabilises a dying character, he may restore a number of wound points equal to half the doctor's level. The target may talk normally and eat, however they are otherwise helpless for 24 hours.

Master: If a dying character has failed the save to become stable within a number of minutes equal to the doctor's level, the doctor may attempt to bring the character back to life. This takes a full minute of dedicated concentration and work and requires a heal check against DC15+1 for every minute that the person has been dead. The character brought back becomes merely dying, instead of dead.

Brilliant. Truly masterful work. You should be proud (/self praise)

I can patch that.

Basic: Using basic medical supplies, a doctor can quickly patch up an ally, even in the heat of battle. As a full-round action, the doctor can heal 1d6+1 per level vitality points. A doctor can only patch a number of times per day equal to half of his ranks in Heal. Patching a target provokes an attack of opportunity.

Get rid of the bolded clause. There's no need and no reason for his in-combat heals to be limited. Perhaps this should require a heal check to succeed, however (DC 15 is standard, but I'd say lower; maybe 12)

Intermediate: The doctor is at home in the heat of battle. Patching now only takes a standard action, and heals 2d6+1 per level vitality points. He also gets 2 more uses of patch per day.

Master: A master of battle, the doctor can now heal as a move action, and it no longer provokes an attack of opportunity. In addition, he has mastered the art of mixing chemicals to make the perfect anti-septic. The doctor can prepare a special salve that only he knows how to use by spending 10 minutes and succeeding on a DC 25 Heal check. If this salve is used to patch a target, the patched target has a +2 bonus on all rolls.

Fine, like it. Obvs remove the bonus to patches per day. He should be able to slap bandages on for as long as he has bandages, clothes to tear and tourniquets to tie off. Perhaps the antiseptic should allow the doctor to heal a wound, rather than provide a buff.

As long as it is not a tumor...

Basic: The doctor can use his plethora of medical tools to perform surgery on a target. Surgery takes 30 uninterrupted minutes, and, if the doctor succeeds on a heal check of DC 20, it restores 1d3 Dexterity, Constitution, or Strength damage, doctor's choice. The target must not do anything strenuous for 1d6 hours after surgery, or the damage returns. The doctor uses (value) of medical materials in the surgery. This materials must be obtained from a proper, city hospital.

Intermediate: The doctor is much more efficient at surgery. Though he still needs (value) of medical materials, only half must be obtained from a proper, city hospital, and is not consumed in the surgery. The other half may be scrounged together on the range, but is still consumed in the surgery.

Master: Armed with only a scalpel, a needle, and some thread, a doctor's surgery now restores 1d3+1 Dexterity, Constitution, and Strength damage. Additionally, for every 3 the doctor increases the DC of the check by, he can reduce the time of surgery by 5 minutes, to a minimum of 10 minutes.

I like it, and I like the limitations. Going from proper tools to a scalpel and some thread is perfect.

This tastes like it will help.

Basic: The doctor can find herbs to bolster the living. With a succesful Survival check against a DC of 15, the doctor can find the right herbs for the job. The wild has enough herbs to support 2 doses per square mile, while the range only has enough herbs to produce 1 dose per square mile. These herbs provide a random effect, according to the following table:

{table=head]Number | Effect
1 | +2 to Strength
2 | +2 to Dexterity
3 | +2 to Constitution
4 | +2 to Intelligence
5 | +2 to Wisdom
6 | +2 to Charisma
7 | +1 to Attack and Damage Rolls
8 | +2 to Defense
9 | -1 to All Rolls
10 | No effect
[/table]

This effect lasts for 1d6+1 per doctor level rounds.

Intermediate: The doctor can use his herbs more efficiently, doubling the amount of doses available per square mile. With a succesful Survival check against a DC 20, the doctor can hone in on a region of the table. He can choose 6 sequential effects, and then roll a d6 to decide the effect from those 6.

Master: The effects are now all doubled, and for every 2 the doctor exceeds the DC on his honing in check, he can increase the range of one effect by one. Example: Jed decides to hone in on 1-6, and succeeds with a Survival check of 28. He can increase the range of the+4 to Constitution bonus from 1-5 or 2-6. Additionally, he can spend (value) to obtain 2 doses in a city, though each city only has enough herbs for two doses.

I like it. Some synergy with my Big Pharma talent. I like this one a bit better though. Perhaps my "big pharma" tree can be something slightly different, and focus on making more drugs from fewer doses, or altering existing drugs to have more effects.

The water remembers, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy) I promise!

Basic: : By spending 20 minutes and succeeding on a Survival check of DC 20, the doctor can mix herbs, poisons, anything he scrounge on the range or in the wild, with water, and create a drinkable salve. The salve looks and tastes no different than water, but, if the person drinking it is aware of its properties, it heals 1d6+1 per creator's doctor level vitality points. The doctor may only have two of these created at a time. If he creates another, the oldest one loses its power.

Intermediate: The doctor widens his breadth of ingredients, allowing him to use (value) of city bought goods, though he must have some ingredients from the wild, to make his salve. He can now create 3 salves, and they heal 2d6+1 per creator's doctor level vitality points.

Master: The doctor can now use solely (value + a little) of city bought goods, if need be. He can now create 5 salves, and for ever 3 he exceeds the DC, they heal for an additional point of damage. The salves also give a bonus of 1d6 temporary vitality points.

I like the flavour of this one, and it's good for a doctor who wants to focus on potions to restore vitality, rather than provide buffs. I think that "I can patch that" is frankly better than this though. Also, I have a massive thing against homeopathy, having worked in a health food shop for a year and a half... "What flavour placebo would you like today?" But I digress, and have probably started a flame war, so to diffuse it now:

Your well-reasoned arguments have swayed me. I now fully believe in homeopathy. Thank you for helping me to see the light.

That there plant will 'urtcha.

Needs a better name. This one is too Orky. Perhaps "Hypocritical Oath"?

Basic: By spending 20 minutes and succeeding on a Survival check of DC 15, the doctor can mix herbs, poisons, anything he scrounge on the range or in the wild, to create a paste which, when rubbed on a slashing or piercing weapon, acts as a poison. The poison has a random effect according to the following table:

1 | -1 to Strength
2 | -1 to Dexterity
3 | -1 to Constitution
4 | -1 to Intelligence
5 | -1 to Wisdom
6 | -1 to Charisma
7 | 1d3 damage
8 | -1 to Defense
9 | Heal target for 1d3
10 | No effect
[/table]

The poison lasts 1 hour per character level, or 2 successful attacks, whichever occurs first. The DC of the poison is 10 + amount the creation check was succeeded by.

Intermediate: The doctor widens his breadth of ingredients, allowing him to use (value) of city bought goods, though he must have some ingredients from the wild, to make his paste. With a succesful Survival check against a DC 20, the doctor can hone in on a region of the table. He can choose 6 sequential bonuses or penalties, and then roll a d6 to decide the bonus from those 6. His poisons now last for 3 succesful attacks.

This is fine. The "honing in" needs to work a little better. Perhaps roll three times and pick one? Also, use the master level table throughout, and state whether it heals vitality or wound points. It's obvious that you mean vitality, but be unambiguous. Yes, I know I do the same thing...

Master: The doctor can now use solely (value + a little) of city bought goods, if need be. The effects are now increased according to the following table:

1 | -2 to Strength
2 | -2 to Dexterity
3 | -2 to Constitution
4 | -2 to Intelligence
5 | -2 to Wisdom
6 | -2 to Charisma
7 | 1d6 damage
8 | -2 to Defense
9 | Heal target for 1d6
10 | No effect
[/table]

Additionally, for every 2 the doctor exceeds the DC on his honing in check, he can increase the range of one effect by one. Additionally, the poison lasts for 24 hours, and the DC is 15 + amount the creation Survival check was exceeded by.

Needs to be better. I'd say just let him pick an effect and double the bonus/penalty.

The Scalpel

The scalpel is an extremely sharp instrument used for surgical purposes. Some doctors, however, see the value of using a scalpel in a fight. It is an exotic weapon which, when wielded without proficiency, has a 25% chance to cut the wielder on every attack.

The Scalpel: Cost: (value). Dmg(s) 1d3. Dmg(m) 1d4. Crit: 18-20.

Hmm... perhaps the crit deals more wounds (3?), but has a smaller range. Scalpels are nasty, but not exactly suited for combat.

I like it. I'm glad someone else thought of things the doctor could do in combat as I thought it would be easy to fall into the trap of making someone who's only use is outside of combat. The preist has the same problem. This guy needs some way to cure poisons and diseases, which would come from making herbs. Something like:

For What Ails You
A spoonful of sugar may help, but it's the medicine that makes the fever go down
Basic: The doctor can mix up various common herbs to create a cure-all. (Some way of finding suitable herbs). If the user is under the effects of a poison or a disease he may re-roll his fortitude save against the original DC with a bonus equal to a quater of the doctor's level (round down, minimum +1). The cure tastes horrible and the user must wait 24 hours before taking another dose, or become nauseated for 24 hours.

Intermediate: The doctor's cure-all provides a bonus equal to half the doctor's level (round down, minimum +1) to the new fortitude save. The cure has a sickly-sweet taste and user may attempt to cure themselves twice before needing to wait 24 hours before they can try again or become nauseated for 24 hours.

Master: The doctor's cure-all cures the effects of poisons and diseases instantly, with no need to make a save. There is no penalty for taking several doses, and the cure is actually quite pleasant to taste.

Also, I see the doctor as being the go-to guy for knowledge checks. I'm not sure how it would work, but I'd like to see a talent or two that provides bonuses on successful knowledge checks, or provides bonuses to knowledge checks. Perhaps something like the bonuses a ranger gets for having a favoured enemy...

0tt3r
2010-12-13, 02:04 PM
I like the flavour of this one, and it's good for a doctor who wants to focus on potions to restore vitality, rather than provide buffs. I think that "I can patch that" is frankly better than this though. Also, I have a massive thing against homeopathy, having worked in a health food shop for a year and a half... "What flavour placebo would you like today?"

I did make so it only works if the person knows its qualities, simulating the placebo effect.

Eldan
2010-12-13, 02:09 PM
As for homoeopathy, I'd add "only works in the range or wild" to it, really. It's basically folk magic.

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-13, 02:11 PM
As for homoeopathy, I'd add "only works in the range or wild" to it, really. It's basically folk magic.

+1. This is exactly right. In which case, make the homeopathy talent stronger, and make it even stronger (1.5x or so) in the wild.

0tt3r
2010-12-13, 02:29 PM
I updated the class to reflect the suggestions. Thank you for the critique, cheezewizz2000.

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-13, 03:48 PM
*Courtesy cheezewizz2000

cheezewizz2000 credited

Not needed. Thanks, but this is a community effort. So long as I get accredited in the final copy and a small cut of the profits*, I'm happy.

*Tongue in cheek. I'm in it for the fun.

Eldan
2010-12-14, 05:31 AM
Did you know that this thread is google's first result for "Americanapunk"? Nice.

Anyway, detailed critique:

Malpractice: technically fine as it is. You might want to limit it to melee attacks. At higher levels, it might deal constitution damage, as a wounding weapon in D&D.

Crippling Strike: I'd include a duration into these effects: they should eventually heal naturally. Maybe 24 hours? Master level leg slash might include falling prone. Otherwise probably the most versatile of all talents, if a little outside the doctor's core specialization. If the Gangster gets similar strikes, might make Doctor/Gangsters very competent brawlers. You might think about including some ability damage as well, otherwise we don't have many source of that.

Surgical Strike: Sneak Attack. Interesting, but I like it.

Anatomy in General: I'm not really sure if the Doctor should be such a competent brawler, or if that intrudes on the areas of other classes.

Breathe, Dammit: Exactly what the doctor should do, and nicely done.

I can patch that: Not sure how good it is, since generally vitality points heal very quickly on their own (I think, without checking, it was 1/level/hour), but he needs such an ability, so it's okay.

As long as it's not a tumor: (It's naht a tuma! /Ahnold) Fine, and useful. I think it's implied in "can't do anything strenuous", but spell out that you can't do surgery repeatedly on the same target, otherwise, a doctor might do 4-hour super-operations to restore all ability damage in one go.

Medicine/Hypocritical Oath: This I have a lot of problems with. First of all, I'm not sure it needs to be a talent, instead of a skill check. Second, I dislike the idea of the doctor going out, gathering some herbs and getting a random result: shouldn't he know what he's collecting? I'd suggest including this in a basic Craft: Medicine skill check, then giving the doctor talents that improve it's effects. (This also has the nice side effect of, say, Scoundrels brewing up Vitality tonics they can sell, or Hobos brewing up disinfecting booze).

The Scalpel: I've used scalpels a lot (biology student, anatomy courses), and I'm sure they would be enormously awkward as weapons. I've also used hunting knifes a few times (ex-boyscout), and I can't imagine the scalpel having the same base damage. Scalpels are fine tools.

My suggestion for the scalpel:
Base damage (m): 1d3, Crit: 18-20/2 wounds. That's basically the equivalent of 19-20/x3 in D&D, or a very powerful critical.
To compare: the

I'd also drop the thing about "cutting yourself". Seriously, that just doesn't happen.

Finally, a few general rules things:
I don't think we need definitions like "exotic weapons" in this system. Perhaps the doctor could get a bonus with these, but otherwise And I also doubt we will ever need small weapons, as we don't have any non-human races.

0tt3r
2010-12-15, 10:23 AM
My original idea for the randomness was to represent not being able to find the right herbs at the right time, to give the feel of a haphazard, folksy doctor looking around for an hour, coming back with some wheat, a random herb, etc, and making it work, and to be a sort of balancing factor. I think the pharmacy skill makes the doctor lose all range and wild fluff, but maybe that is what it should be. The doctor is a city boy, born and bred, and learns some tricks in the wild (Herbalism).

I also removed the homeopathy and For What Ails You talents, as the pharmacy skill kind of overlapped with it. Tis a shame, I really liked the fluff on it.

Mother's Little Helper

Basic: The duration of drugs created by the doctor is doubled.

Intermediate: By succeeding on a Pharmacy check of DC 25, the doctor can make a tonic that has two effects, chosen by the doctor at the time of creation.

Master:

I was trying to rework cheezewiz2000's talent, but I am not sure what could be the Master talent here. Any ideas? Also, I am not sure if the intermediate talent is good enough, as he could just create two different tonics, for the same effect.

Eldan
2010-12-15, 12:36 PM
The pharmacy skill was a suggestion, you don't have to use it, you know. I don't have any right to tell you how to build your class. If you prefer the randomness, go with that.

0tt3r
2010-12-15, 01:09 PM
Right, I understand, but I think the skill makes more sense. It allows for a talent for rascal, and solidifies the doctor as a city boy, which is more in theme.

gkathellar
2010-12-15, 01:20 PM
Skill points should be up to 8+Int, since this is a d6 HD/Poor BAB class.

It needs a bloodstopping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodstopping) talent, for the less academic doctors out there. Contrary to the wiki, most of the bloodstopping stories I've heard/read imply that a bloodstopper could often just command the bleeding to stop.

One story describes how the cook at a logging camp could stop bleeding by saying, "The bleeding has stopped." This worked fine for most people, but one injured logger didn't believe in the cook's powers. After complaining for the several hours after the cook stopped his bleeding that bloodstopping was an impossible superstition, his bleeding restarted and refused to respond to bandages or stitches out at the camp, requiring him to go into the city to seek treatment at a hospital.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-15, 03:55 PM
Malpractice? That, doesn't fit. That makes it sound unintentional. How about Vascularologist, though that's a bit wordy and isn't exactly the same thing.

All the crunch looks good to me, but I'm no good judge.

It might also be cool to have a talent-tree where people worked on the brain... Maybe that could be a PrC.

ForzaFiori
2010-12-24, 10:54 PM
I'd also drop the thing about "cutting yourself". Seriously, that just doesn't happen.

actually, unless your trained with knives and similar implements (trained to fight, not trained to cut like a doctor), It's highly likely that you'll cut yourself. Huge amounts of murderers who kill with knives cut their self with it and have been ID'd with blood from it.

I still agree with you on dropping it, but it does happen.